Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is internet mandatory in a student house?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

As the title says. Is there any minimum requirements with regards supplying internet if you're a student landlord?

Paying €75/week for a room in a student house, would have expected internet to be included!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    As the title says. Is there any minimum requirements with regards supplying internet if you're a student landlord?

Paying €75/week for a room in a student house, would have expected internet to be included!

I presume that is up to the people renting the house to get it, not the Landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

None in the slightest, internet is not a legal requirement. Any such requirement would be optional and included in the lease you signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Nope it's up to the student(s). I had to buy an internet dongle when I was at college.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You should have checked before you moved in? it's the first thing I ask. You can get it installed yourselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€300 a month and you expect internet to be included too?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It's not mandatory, but €75 is a bit much if it's not including internet. If it's nice accomadation then it's not too big a deal to just buy a dongle, but if I was on the fence about living in a certain place for college then WiFi would definitely be a dealbreaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Cheers for the replies, it's just that I've lived in 4 other student houses before and internet was always included. Everyone I know that lives in other student houses in the area all have it included too. Just thought it was odd that we didn't and it got me wondering whether or not it was a minimum requirement these days.

You should have checked before you moved in? it's the first thing I ask. You can get it installed yourselves?

Yeah we can, it's just a bit awkward as there's a couple of international students living in the house that'll be gone in a few months. Would be much easier if it was just built into the price of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

€300 a month and you expect internet to be included too?

Well considering that €300 could be multiplied by 3 or 4 other students then yes, for that total price I would expect internet if I was living there.

• Advertisement

Well considering that €300 could be multiplied by 3 or 4 other students then yes, for that total price I would expect internet.

There is 6 people in the house, and it isn't a great house at all really. Very old and not very big. I'm paying for location more than anything else, it's a 2 min walk away from a major university.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah we can, it's just a bit awkward as there's a couple of international students living in the house that'll be gone in a few months. Would be much easier if it was just built into the price of rent.

If it's a standard private landlord (as opposed to a college owned house), they would be daft to include internet as part of the rent for numerous reasons.

The internet connection generally being in their(landlords) name in that instance and their name and reputation linked to that internet connection. Hence if any member of the household or indeed any person who comes to the house and has access to the internet uses that connection for inappropriate or indeed illegal activities it is initially the landlord whose name is tied to it. Indeed it is also the landlords issue if the download cap is broken, if the internet connection is down etc.
    It's a whole steaming pile of dung for the landlord if they are providing internet access.
    Colleges etc can filter and tie internet access to student accounts and disciplinary proceedings etc, not so in the case of a private landlord.

Landlords generally left the tenants arrange their own internet as they generally do with utilities etc........
    I'm surprised landlords to it at all to be honest as it does leave them open to many headaches.

Not sure where you are living either, but 75 quid a week isn't over expensive for certain parts of the country.........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only with section 50 student accommodation - typically large purpose-build apartment developments and student villages - where 64kb connections are required (per 30 student bedspaces) - that is less than 1% of current connection speeds.

www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/tech-guide/stud_accom.pdf‎
    Data Connection

Internet services shall be made available to each student study bedspace, as a standard Ethernet connection (10 BASET). A minimum bandwidth of 64kb/s shall be provided by an Internet Service Provider (ISP) per each 30 student bedspaces.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wrote: »
    64kb connections are required

Aka- its barely faster than old fashioned dial-up......

OP- buy a dongle- or bite the bullet and get a 6 month contract with UPC (if available) or a copper connection, if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think Id sooner not bother than have to use a 64kb connection shared between 30 people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get yourself mobile broadband. Cheap as chips, and far more flexible, and it doesn't tie you into any particular address.

BTW what's a "student house"? I thought they were just houses, that sometimes people living in them were students ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

First thing for me is a kettle. I'm ol' skool!

BTW what's a "student house"? I thought they were just houses, that sometimes people living in them were students ...

Certain developments received tax designations as 'student residences'. There are specific rules governing them. Normally it refers to the likes of on-campus developments at UCD/NUIG etc- and not private property rentals by students.

I'm guessing the OP used the term 'student house' to simply describe a house that a gang of students are renting between them- rather than a designated student residency.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

endacl wrote: »
    First thing for me is a kettle. I'm ol' skool!

I don't even use a kettle! It leads people to doubt my ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's deals in dublin 50 euro, tv, 20 plus channels, plus broadband, if you wanna sign a contract for a year, split the cost between the tenants Many areas have fibre broadband avaidable, cuts out the cost of phone rental.

I'd never assume there's internet or cable tv, if i'm looking for a flat. Its usually like, theres a cable there, if you want it installed, good luck. A usb dongle will give you basic net connection, e.g. email, basic browsing. Accomodation rules, cover things like storage, fridge, cooker, heating, etc not net connections.

Theres some parts of the country where its very hard to get web acess, in rural areas.

• Advertisement

If you are planning on taking out a contract- ensure that you know what the break clauses are- esp. if the minimum term is greater than the amount of time remaining on the lease (unless of course its your intention to continue the lease- however as its already been alluded to- this is a 'student house'- which would lend one to believe you intend to vacate next May time).

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

o2 are doing great deals on dongles/hotshots 9.99€ for students and uni staff. look at the heanet offer.

Minier81 wrote: »
    o2 are doing great deals on dongles/hotshots 9.99€ for students and uni staff. look at the heanet offer.

One of the housemates is looking at getting in a deal with UPC which includes channels. Will give the above a look at it that falls through.

Do O2 offer unlimited internet data?

Just be careful with UPC; its a one year contract so there may be penalties for cancelling early (which would be the norm in a student house).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Definitely no requirement to provided it. Only time I have seen it included in the rent cost is where you are sharing the property with the landlord. Otherwise the tenants have organised it themselves in which case you pay your share of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

No its only 15gb a month, so probably not suitable if you plan to stream loads. I find its more then enough for my use which is general internet use and maybe 10 hours streaming (rte paleyr etc) per month. cheap and cheerful
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/student/

djimi wrote: »
    Just be careful with UPC; its a one year contract so there may be penalties for cancelling early (which would be the norm in a student house).

Does anyone have a rough idea as to what a cancellation fee would be (say cancelling a 12 month contract after 6 months) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

Is this a joke question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Does anyone have a rough idea as to what a cancellation fee would be (say cancelling a 12 month contract after 6 months) ?

At least 125 quid. Possibly more.

• Advertisement

3 offer unlimited data.

Advertisement