Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous pets

• 20-11-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

I'm trying to track down someone in Ireland who keeps a potentially dangerous animal as a pet. It's for a newspaper piece I'm working on. My intention is not to criticise the owner, but merely to ask them about their experiences. I'm thinking snakes or other unusual animals, rather than dogs.

Can anyone on this forum point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

Ask Fran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

You are not going to believe how easy you can find primates and big cat sanctuaries in Ireland.

Well it was the case years ago not sure if it still is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Can~t understand the need for anyone to have a dangerous pet. Would rather not encourage it tbh. Sorry to rain on the parade, but there is just so much animal neglect in this country, I wish more people would write about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried contacting the reptile zoo? They keep large snakes among other creatures - not as pets though but they could give you some first hand experience of dealing with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Tusky wrote: »
    Hello all.

I'm trying to track down someone in Ireland who keeps a potentially dangerous animal as a pet. It's for a newspaper piece I'm working on. My intention is not to criticise the owner, but merely to ask them about their experiences. I'm thinking snakes or other unusual animals, rather than dogs.

Tusky, if you could give us a bit of an insight into your article (agenda, intention,direction etc) we may be able to help you a bit more. Right now, the lack of replies says a lot in here.

We're generally not shy a bunch, but I bet there's many people going "hmmmmm" right now ;)

The term "dangerous" is ambiguous and subjective so I don't blame posters for being hesitant in answering at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

anniehoo wrote: »
    Tusky, if you could give us a bit of an insight into your article (agenda, intention,direction etc) we may be able to help you a bit more. Right now, the lack of replies says a lot in here.

We're generally not shy a bunch, but I bet there's many people going "hmmmmm" right now ;)

The term "dangerous" is ambiguous and subjective so I don't blame posters for being hesitant in answering at the minute.

That's brilliant, I actually did go 'hmmmmm' when I read it earlier :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

That's brilliant, I actually did go 'hmmmmm' when I read it earlier :p

I know yas too well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd have to agree, I'm sure none of us consider our pets "dangerous". I have two rats and I can assure you that a rat bite isn't a walk in the park, but they're certainly not dangerous. I'd probably consider anything with the ability to kill and/or eat me as dangerous :P And while I do see a shady look in Zoidberg's eyes when I give Lemmiwinks the last cracker, I'm not sure she'd eat me as such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Depends what you mean by pet too. Do you mean keeping a dangerous animal in an inappropriate environment, like a pet chimp in a family home, or do you simply mean owning an animal that can seriously damage or kill you, like a snake, even if it's kept in a proper environment?

Advertisement