Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best steakhouse in the city?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

OK but I probably won't get there until gone 2.30 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ha ha feck off.

FX Buckleys off Baggot St possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I like Shanahan's for steak. Been their twice. Very expensive so only have it for extremely special occasions. I would say you would get thrown out of there though if you called it a steak house.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Butcher Grill in Ranelagh is amazing. Tiny place with an expensive menu but well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I havent been yet, but I've heard Marco Pierres on Dawson St does excellent steaks at reasonable prices.

Shanahans on the Green always comes up, but most reviews I've heard are on how overpriced it is for what you get.

Bear off Chatham Street does some interesting cuts of meat if that's more your thing.

I'd love a big juicy steak and chips now...

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I havent been yet, but I've heard Marco Pierres on Dawson St does excellent steaks at reasonable prices.

Shanahans on the Green always comes up, but most reviews I've heard are on how overpriced it is for what you get.

Bear off Chatham Street does some interesting cuts of meat if that's more your thing.

I'd love a big juicy steak and chips now...

Nope! Hated the place tbh.

Shanahans isnt worth it, though it is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Slattsy wrote: »
    Nope! Hated the place tbh.

oh, how so? food / service / price?
    I'd hoped to go over Christmas. Might change now if it's gone downhill!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    oh, how so? food / service / price?
    I'd hoped to go over Christmas. Might change now if it's gone downhill!

Tables too cramped, over-priced in particular the wines, very pretentious service, foie gras for starter was the worst i've ever tasted and the steak was just grand. It was cooked to perfection though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Didn't like Marco Pierre's. The steak was fine, the atmosphere was meh, and the staff were a little overbearing.

I really like FXB on Pembroke Street. They did a major refurb a few months ago and the place is really lovely now, especially the upstairs seating. I was there the other week and had what was quite possibly the best steak I've ever eaten; cooked perfectly and so tasty. Delish!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FXB Crow Street is my go-to, Darwin's does great steak, and Bear for something a bit different -- the bavette is my favourite.

For an out-of-town cheapie, JD's in Terenure is well worth consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

BeerNut wrote: »
    FXB Crow Street is my go-to, Darwin's does great steak, and Bear for something a bit different -- the bavette is my favourite.

JD's is fantastically cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Never found anything wrong with the food in Marco Pierre White's but the room is not great for a restaurant, Fitzer's had the same problem before. It can get very loud when certain types of groups are in. The noise seems to bounce around.

I wouldn't turn it down mind you, if a friend suggested going there for a steak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

BeerNut wrote: »

Agree to both.

JD's early bird is particularly good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

JDs is cheap and the steaks are in general, extremely tasty but expect to be waiting a long time for your food. Service there is terribly slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

L'Gueleton does a killer ribeye with frites. Last time we were there the special was a 28 day aged rib eye of some rarebreed moo, the name of which escapes me now, with marrow butter. It was amazing.

Guess it's not really a steakhouse though, but em..... <runs away>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Buenos Aires Grill in golden lane is my fav
    Like FXBs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I like MPWs a lot. Been going there for years both as Fitzers and MPWs. I think the staff are great and the steaks are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Not a steakhouse but the cote de boeuf for 2 in la maison on castle market is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I like MPWs a lot. Been going there for years both as Fitzers and MPWs. I think the staff are great and the steaks are really good.

They are the same Fitzers have the MPW franchise over here and way over priced.
    Seven in Stonybatter used to do 15.95 special which was far superior to MPW but sadly are no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Darwin's does very good steak. Buenos Aries have heard several bad reports from there. Mastersons in swords is suppose to be nice but never been yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Like FXBs too.

Was going to try there been hearing good things but have been told that it is currently closed for renovations?

Think I'll try JD's next. Tried FX Buckley's in the Bull and Castle was left disappointed with the food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Darwins do excellent steak, their pre-theatre/early bird menu includes two or three steak options and is excellent value , staff really friendly as well and nice atmosphere about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Like FXBs too.

The Grill has closed down now. It had gone downhill massively. I went there a few times when it was good and it was really really good. The last 3 times were dreadful in terms of service and customer appreciation. It put me right off going back again no matter how nice the food was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have had a lovely rump steak and flat iron steak in the Gibson Hotel. Had never heard of a flat iron steak. The waiter was a butcher by trade and very knowledgeable about all of the cuts of meat. Good value and a lovely view. Now Im not saying its the best place for steak, but really enjoyed it and was something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Anyone recommend somewhere that does a good chateauBriand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Adding Asador to this list! Have had a lot of fail meals there, but total opposite when it comes to steak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

irishguy wrote: »
    Anyone recommend somewhere that does a good chateauBriand?

FXB pembroke street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Bear is pretty awesome steak, if you can get past the crappy service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Grill has closed down now. It had gone downhill massively. I went there a few times when it was good and it was really really good. The last 3 times were dreadful in terms of service and customer appreciation. It put me right off going back again no matter how nice the food was.

It reopened 2 weeks ago. I used to recommend it, but I agree, quality has gone down since the turn of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Another vote for Darwins. It's the only place I keep going back to for steak.

Advertisement