Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in the city-no kids!

Options
  • 20-11-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

We are heading to Kilkenny on Sunday for a night away from the kids. We have most of Sunday free and mon morning. We've been to Kilkenny a few times but always with the kids. So would love a couple of ideas. Is there any vintage salvage yard/good antique shops? Is the inside of the castle worth a look? What nice places to have coffee/cake? Any nice walks? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Without kids? easy, get drunk, start a fight, get locked up for the night....fun times Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Walk down by the river and around the castle. Its a nice walk and will be plenty of people about. There's a shop called Yesterdays that both my Mam and girlfriend always want to go to when they are here. Sells old bits and bobs..its just up from the Castle too. I'm only a blow in so I'm sure there's loads more/better places to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Walk down by the river and around the castle. Its a nice walk and will be plenty of people about. There's a shop called Yesterdays that both my Mam and girlfriend always want to go to when they are here. Sells old bits and bobs..its just up from the Castle too. I'm only a blow in so I'm sure there's loads more/better places to see.

Thanks a mill for that, will look out for that shop, sounds up my street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

This salvage yard in the city should be open Monday morning.

http://www.kilkennycityonline.com/business-listings-d.asp?P_ID=272&sC_ID=33

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yesterdays in on Patrick street just up from the hibernian hotel. There is an antique shop on john street just up from langtons but not sure if it is open. For a walk just head to the castle park or down along the river as suggested. Yes, the inside of the castle is worth a look. It's lovely.

There are walking tours around kilkennyso if you like a bit of local history check them out - not sure if they are still in action given it's November but the tourist office is just off the parade (city centre crossroads) and they will fill you in. Actually not sure if the caste is running reduced hours either

There are loads of Cafes around for a coffee - try the tea rooms or the one next door to it on Kieran strreet. A place i recently discovered and have been back to a few times is the cafe on the roof of Winstons shop there on the junction of high street and kieran street beside dores butchers. Extremely good quality food and reasonably priced imo. They do quiches and stuff like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a couple of of antique places on Rose Inn street, which is also where the tourist information is located. There's a car boot sale just outside the city on the Callan road Sunday mornings. Castle, Canice's Cathedral, and the black abbey are the probably the most visited tourist attractions in the city. Outside the city, there's Nicolas Mosse potery in Bennetsbridge, the Millenium Park in Castlecomer is popular and you can get lunch there, Dunmore caves are between the city and Castlecomer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You could go to the caves and go for a walk in Jenkinstown on the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Thanks a million for all the replies! So looking forward to being in Kilkenny again. Going to make up a loose inventory based on the replies. :) thanks again!

Advertisement