Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs neglected…who to call?

• 20-11-2013 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Upon driving the Naas south ring road over the last week and a half, I have noticed some badly neglected dogs with a small group of travellers who have set up in one of the unused exits off a roundabout.

I can't get a proper look at the breeds as I can't stop driving, but there are two medium to large dogs locked in one crate, pacing around each other in small circles. I have yet to see them out at all, and I have passed in wind and rain and witnessed them exposed to these conditions.

Who should I call here? The Kildare dog warden? An animal rescue? Am I being presumptuous in deciding they are being neglected, as I only get a snapshot when I drive past a couple of times a day?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Call the ISPCA main National Animal Centre Longford - 1890 515 515 they cover Kildare. If every time you pass the dogs are there like that I wouldn't at all say you were being presumptuous Id say theres a problem. Sounds an awful situation for the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thank you for that info. I just placed the call. Hopefully something will be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

sadie06 wrote: »
    Thank you for that info. I just placed the call. Hopefully something will be done about it.

Fair play to you. Wish more people would do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Well done. I wish there were more people like you, too many willfully blind people around. Hope it works out for the poor dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Fair play to you. Like it was said above, if it looks like theyre always locked up every time you pass, then its likely they dont get out to much. Thats heart-breaking :(

Let us know if you hear anything or if you see they've been removed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive been past there too. Theres a tan coloured lurcher, and a small white terrier, there has been a litter of puppies there too. I have seen them loose around the caravans. There is a small shetland type pony there off/on too, and a rugged coloured pony grazing in the field behind the caravans.... most of the caravans have moved in the last few days - saw them parked someplace else near Naas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I hope something is done, I reported dog neglect (by travellers also) to the DSPCA once and was told that "travellers generally look after their dogs, they probably have nice kennels at the back of the site where you cant see them". Didnt want to know.

I then called the dog warden and he told me he couldnt catch lurchers as they were too fast. No one would get involved and the travellers continued to neglect the dogs. After a while those particular dogs disappeared and new ones appeared and the cycle continues.

aonb wrote: »
    Ive been past there too. Theres a tan coloured lurcher, and a small white terrier, there has been a litter of puppies there too. .

I think we are talking about different dogs, as neither look like a lurcher to me, and I wouldn't call either of them small. This is on the South ring road, which links the Newbridge road to the Kilcullen road, not the main ring road, which also has travellers at various roundabouts.

I was told I may get a follow up call if further details are needed. The guy took a lot of details, but seemed most interested in the fact that the crate is not roofed, which means they have no proper shelter. That seems to be cause for action.

I think we are talking about different dogs, as neither look like a lurcher to me, and I wouldn't call either of them small. This is on the South ring road, which links the Newbridge road to the Kilcullen road, not the main ring road, which also has travellers at various roundabouts.

I was told I may get a follow up call if further details are needed. The guy took a lot of details, but seemed most interested in the fact that the crate is not roofed, which means they have no proper shelter. That seems to be cause for action.

Do you mean the lot that are just up the road from the Chadwicks (same side) and the Ashgrove Auction Rooms? There was def a lurcher and a terrier there - amongst others, not sure what breed the puppies were - but they were in an open mesh cage in the middle of the site...
    Hope something is done about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

If possible, keep a close eye on this, as we too have had to report out and out neglect to several poor dogs in local halting site. It took at least 3 desperate calls to the ISPCA and dog warden to get them to investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I was involved in rescue for the last few years focusing on a breed that would be favoured by the travelling community. It is my experience that the authorities are very very reluctant to get involved in cases where the dogs/animals belong to travellers so I would suggest that you may need to call more than once, put some pressure on and even then you might find that you are fobbed off.

Thanks for the advice to keep the pressure on. I'll give another call on Monday if nothing seems to have changed.

Not a very satisfactory end but I just thought I'd report back. I drove past today and all the caravans are gone and the council are building up a mound of some sort to prevent future halting. I'll never know now whether anything was done, but given the short time frame, I doubt it very much.

Yes, saw that huge clay 'berm' the council put up this weekend. I think that group of travellers have moved to the road off the Naas Dual Carriageway to Straffan - just at Kill. Poor dogs.

aonb wrote: »
    Yes, saw that huge clay 'berm' the council put up this weekend. I think that group of travellers have moved to the road off the Naas Dual Carriageway to Straffan - just at Kill. Poor dogs.

The only positive is that I just learned a new word! :-)

Advertisement