Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FYI WARNING - Sky 12 month BB deal contract ending

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The guy on the phone told me that you can't leave because they don't do early termination charges meaning you actually can't pay to leave.

I saw on the Sky Forum that people were posting about getting offers still in contract so I thought they might. Sadly they don't and I have to wait until March before asking again.

Of course you can leave its not the bronx

Dig out your contact:
    "The early termination charge will not be more than the payments you would have made to us for your Sky Broadband package and/or for the cheapest available option for Sky Talk, for the remainder of your Minimum Term(s), less any costs we save, including the cost for no longer providing you with the Services. "

Next time you talk to anyone in a call center, first get their name and ask them the date and tell them you're writing it down, guaranteed to cut the bull****. If they're giving you bull ask to escalate the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I got on the "trial" just under 12 months ago.

Received an email last week that the 12 months was about to end so phoned up to see what was on offer (having already checked what the others were offering)

As I'm not on an unbundled exchange & eircom probably don't even realise my exchange exists with regard to fibre (or indeed asdl2+ :( ) my bill was due to increase from 27.50 to 57.50.

Was offered half price for 6 months, no new contract.

Have taken it & I can always look around again in 5 months time to see what's on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I got my bill in the post today, and my half price wasn't applied.

I've rang them and they are looking into it and will get back to me.

They had a record of my call and it was noted to apply the half price but for whatever reason it wasn't applied. They will look into it and get back to me.

So just a word of warning to anyone else who got the half price, have a look at your bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Just a heads up there well a sky forum starting on boards I think in the next week or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I got my bill in the post today, and my half price wasn't applied.

I've rang them and they are looking into it and will get back to me.

They had a record of my call and it was noted to apply the half price but for whatever reason it wasn't applied. They will look into it and get back to me.

So just a word of warning to anyone else who got the half price, have a look at your bill.

Are you absolutely sure that you are not on the €27.50 tarriff. Did you get a bill with a plethora of minuses on it? I had a look at my bill online today. It showed that I was on the €47.50 tarriff, with adjustments for th tansitional month as I was connected on 6th Feb.I had rang them last Monday about the increase and was to get a call back but it never came. Rang again this evening and got on to a very nice fella who had a good long look at my account and came back to tell me I was on €27.50 for 6 months. I told him that was not evident from the latest bill, and could he tell me what my Feb & March bills would be. He confirmed as above.

So it might be worth your while having another chat with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Are you absolutely sure that you are not on the €27.50 tarriff. Did you get a bill with a plethora of minuses on it? I had a look at my bill online today. It showed that I was on the €47.50 tarriff, with adjustments for th tansitional month as I was connected on 6th Feb.I had rang them last Monday about the increase and was to get a call back but it never came. Rang again this evening and got on to a very nice fella who had a good long look at my account and came back to tell me I was on €27.50 for 6 months. I told him that was not evident from the latest bill, and could he tell me what my Feb & March bills would be. He confirmed as above.

So it might be worth your while having another chat with them.

The only discount on the bill is for the HD subscription, there is nothing there for the phone and BB.

When I rang and got the deal I was told the full bill would be 76 odd euro, this bill was up at 98 so that's why I checked through it and rang.

The guy reckoned that it will be sorted before the direct debit is taken that it was on my account but just wasn't applied.

Just wanted to let others know to check their bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was on the trial offer of €17.50/month which was due to expire on Feb 4 so back on Jan 2nd. I rang in to give cancellation notice and basically just asked if they had any offers to keep me as a customer and they guy give me the €27.50 a month for 6 months.

My billing date is the 22nd of the month so a few days ago I checked my upcoming bill online and discovered that I would be paying something like €35 or €36 which included line rental charge from the date I rang up to my billing date (Jan 2 - Jan 22). The trial offer had free line rental up to Feb 4 and the new offer Im on has a 50% discount on the line rental which begins on the billing date of January 22nd which is fine.

But what they were doing was charging me for a proportion of the new discounted pack (20 days line rental) so I rang and asked how could they charge me for a 20 day period in January when it was to be free up to the 4th Feb. and if anything I should have been charged for 2 days only if at all - me ringing on the 2nd January to cancel instead of the 4th January which meant I was ringing 33 days in advance of the contract expiry date.

Anyhow the girl I talked to yesterday took note of everything and said she hadnt authority to deal with it but would escalate it to some team or other. Fair play to her though she rang me this morning and said that the days I was being charged for would be credited to my account or rather the bill would change before payment due date on 22nd January.

So the message is....check your bills folks and if you think you are being overcharged call them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

cena wrote: »
    Just a heads up there well a sky forum starting on boards I think in the next week or so
    I hope this is true.
    Be great to be able to have a direct forum online to talk to them on that specifies in R.O.I.

I hope this is true.
    Be great to be able to have a direct forum online to talk to them on that specifies in R.O.I.

100 percent true.

100 percent true.
    Where did you get that info from?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Where did you get that info from?

I can't say. Head of boards and sky wouldn't like me to say. I don't work for either. Just trust me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I can't say. Head of boards and sky wouldn't like me to say. I don't work for either. Just trust me

Hmm okay then.

Hmm okay then.

Ye can thank me when it's up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Ye can thank me when it's up and running

If the boards account is as shockingly bad as their own support forum on the Sky website then no thanks will be coming :D

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

was onto Sky. I'm getting broadband and phone at half price for 6 months. Works out at 27.50 p.m.

Their fibre is due to go live April/May. The guy I was talking to was testing it at home (I hate him:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

^^^ Don't believe everything they tell you

If the boards account is as shockingly bad as their own support forum on the Sky website then no thanks will be coming :D

Absolute BS:rolleyes:. There's a myriad of other Irish service providers who could learn a lot from the Sky C.Service. Among them our own telcos & mobile operators.

No if about the forum

was onto Sky. I'm getting broadband and phone at half price for 6 months. Works out at 27.50 p.m.

Their fibre is due to go live April/May. The guy I was talking to was testing it at home (I hate him:mad:)

Yea, I was talking to a very nice fella a couple of weeks ago and he told me the staff were the testers of the fibre service and that it was planned for May/ June. But he cautioned that it would'nt be launched unless the service is guaranteed to operate up to their standards. I presume he meant by that, that if Eircom don't jump to Sky's dance, there will be further delay. And with Eircom admitting today that they don't have sufficient resources(techies) to service the current outages,and with over 10,000 customers in the West still out, I think our 6-month discount could very well be expired before we see Skyfibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Quick question, thinking of moving from Vodafone for BB/phone to Sky broadband since I am out of contract with vodafone. Does it impact my sky subscription for tv at all since i am also out of contract there. I would like to do something with my sky tv and just wondering if somehow signing up for Sky BB will mean I am automatically in a new 12 month contract with Sky Tv. Anyone know ? If that was the case I would have to talk about both ( tv & BB) at same time I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Quick question, thinking of moving from Vodafone for BB/phone to Sky broadband since I am out of contract with vodafone. Does it impact my sky subscription for tv at all since i am also out of contract there. I would like to do something with my sky tv and just wondering if somehow signing up for Sky BB will mean I am automatically in a new 12 month contract with Sky Tv. Anyone know ? If that was the case I would have to talk about both ( tv & BB) at same time I guess...

No signing up to sky bb will not affect your tv service as they are seperate

I wouldn't move if you ring loads of Vodafone mobile numbers as they are free to ring from Vodafone landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I wouldn't move if you ring loads of Vodafone mobile numbers as they are free to ring from Vodafone landline.

Thanks for the advice but the phone line is rarely used for calls. Its really only a means to get BB access.

Its actually my parents who would be doing this so I am wondering is the switch from vodafone to Sky as simple as a call to Sky or does it involve contacting Vodafone too (contract with vodafone is up a good while). Also would it involve some configuration change to the existing router or taking a new one from Sky. I know I could get this kind of info from Sky but I live abroad so don't fancy international calls to Sky to sort out my dads BB. Also they probably wouldn't leave me make decisions for my dad.

Thanks for the advice but the phone line is rarely used for calls. Its really only a means to get BB access.

Its actually my parents who would be doing this so I am wondering is the switch from vodafone to Sky as simple as a call to Sky or does it involve contacting Vodafone too (contract with vodafone is up a good while). Also would it involve some configuration change to the existing router or taking a new one from Sky. I know I could get this kind of info from Sky but I live abroad so don't fancy international calls to Sky to sort out my dads BB. Also they probably wouldn't leave me make decisions for my dad.

No its not as simple as a call to sky you will need to call Vodafone to give them 30 days notice. Even though your contract is up you still need to give them 30 days notice, its in the small print.

SPAWKER wrote: »
    No its not as simple as a call to sky you will need to call Vodafone to give them 30 days notice. Even though your contract is up you still need to give them 30 days notice, its in the small print.
    I left Vodafone last year and moved to Sky and never had to contact VF. The Sky rep looked after all that.

Im open to correction here but afaik there is an agreement between all broadband providers that customers can switch without having to make contact with their existing provider....subject of course to them not being tied to a contract

• Advertisement

Where did you get that from?

No. If you're out of contract with Voda, then Sky will handle all the dogwork. OP, can your parents get fibre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I didn't have to either when I switched last year. Sky do it all.

I left Vodafone last year and moved to Sky and never had to contact VF. The Sky rep looked after all that.

Im open to correction here but afaik there is an agreement between all broadband providers that customers can switch without having to make contact with their existing provider....subject of course to them not being tied to a contract

I was with Eircom for years and was well out of contract before I moved to Sky and I let Sky do the switch for me but I got a letter from Eircom after the last bill to say I owed them so much because I never gave them 30 days notice to terminate my account.

Its actually my parents who would be doing this so I am wondering is the switch from vodafone to Sky as simple as a call to Sky or does it involve contacting Vodafone too (contract with vodafone is up a good while).
    From my experience and in the experience of others who moved to Sky this time last year it was merely a simple phone call to Sky and they looked after everything. If you have any doubts about this you can ask Sky the question by phone or email and get it confirmed. You could even asky Vodafone on their Talk To forum here on Boards. The following is from the FAQ's here on Sky's website
    If you are switching your services from anyone other than UPC, once you have placed your order with us (including giving us your UAN), we'll take care of the rest and will be in touch soon to complete your transfer.

Also would it involve some configuration change to the existing router or taking a new one from Sky. I know I could get this kind of info from Sky but I live abroad so don't fancy international calls to Sky to sort out my dads BB.
    Sky provide you with a new router.

Also they probably wouldn't leave me make decisions for my dad.
    You can either order it online from the link I posted above but if its done by phone you will either have to get our dad to talk to them or else you have his details and and pretend you're him :cool:

• Advertisement

I was with Eircom for years and was well out of contract before I moved to Sky and I let Sky do the switch for me but I got a letter from Eircom after the last bill to say I owed them so much because I never gave them 30 days notice to terminate my account.
    I'd be more surprised if you had told me the opposite. When the hoards moved to Sky last year I was reading various posts in the thread at the time about Eircom being the only provider to charge for not giving notice of cancellation.

Just doing a bit of rooting around (looking for something else) when I spotted this

Seems as if Eircom can sign you straight up from another provider without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just doing a bit of rooting around (looking for something else) when I spotted this

Seems as if Eircom can sign you straight up from another provider without any problems.

All providers can do that,the only hitch is that you might find is if you have anything outstanding on a bill which will hold up the process.

Eircom are notorious for finding ways to hold people up who are trying to switch from them.

Where did you get that from?

We had that the 6 year or more.

You should have told them to F.O. Eircom introduced this condition very recently and if its not on your contract, the you owe them nothing. IMHO, they are making up some of these rules as they go along:mad:

We had that the 6 year or more.
    Im not sure what you're saying here. You had free calls 6 years ago or you have had free calls for the last 6 years?

Im not sure what you're saying here. You had free calls 6 years ago or you have had free calls for the last 6 years?

We had free Vodafone to Vodafone the last 6 years while with them

We had free Vodafone to Vodafone the last 6 years while with them
    I have no idea what offers Vodafone were giving their customers 6 years ago but you really shouldn't be posting here telling people that they can get free land line to Vodafone mobile calls when Vodafone no longer do that as part of any package.

I have no idea what offers Vodafone were giving their customers 6 years ago but you really shouldn't be posting here telling people that they can get free land line to Vodafone mobile calls when Vodafone no longer do that as part of any package.

Are you sure they not doing it.

Are you sure they not doing it.
    Unless its hidden away in some dark corner of their website I cant see any packages that provide free land line calls to VF mobiles. There is 100 minutes free to any Irish mobile network but thats not just exclusive to VF mobiles and its certainly not unlimited.

Prior to Jan. 2013 I had been with VF for nearly 4 years and I never seen such an offer. Trust me, I would have found it had it been there.

I think you got something free that you werent really supposed to have just like when I used to frequently go over the hour in calls to landlines and was never charged for this. :)

• Advertisement

Unless its hidden away in some dark corner of their website I cant see any packages that provide free land line calls to VF mobiles. There is 100 minutes free to any Irish mobile network but thats not just exclusive to VF mobiles and its certainly not unlimited.

Prior to Jan. 2013 I had been with VF for nearly 4 years and I never seen such an offer. Trust me, I would have found it had it been there.

I think you got something free that you werent really supposed to have just like when I used to frequently go over the hour in calls to landlines and was never charged for this. :)

I should be more clearer we got to pick only 3 Vodafone numbers that you got for free.

I should be more clearer we got to pick only 3 Vodafone numbers that you got for free.
    Thats 2 completely different things altogether and tbh its piss poor advice to be offering others when they are asking about bb and phone providers.

You should have told them to F.O. Eircom introduced this condition very recently and if its not on your contract, the you owe them nothing. IMHO, they are making up some of these rules as they go along:mad:

I got onto comreg about this and they told me that it was in Eircom's right to charge me a cancellation fee as I had not given them the 30 days notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'm with vodafone and they give calls to three nominated mobile numbers for free. You have to ring them and tell them the three mobile nos. They said free calls would apply to the three nominated numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I got onto comreg about this and they told me that it was in Eircom's right to charge me a cancellation fee as I had not given them the 30 days notice.

Didn't Eircom get a slap on the wrists from Comreg recently?

I will see if I can find the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

loopymum wrote: »

Brilliant. Serves Eircom right.

Go back to Eircom and tell them in the strongest terms that they are breaking Comreg's rules. But............ then that's the usual attitude of Eircom to Comreg's rulings:rolleyes:.

loopymum wrote: »
    Didn't Eircom get a slap on the wrists from Comreg recently?

I will see if I can find the link

Had a read of that but it was last January 2013 when I switched so I don't think I can get anything back from them.

• Advertisement

Had a read of that but it was last January 2013 when I switched so I don't think I can get anything back from them.

I suppose nobody would have a copy of their T & Cs going back a few years. I'm almost certain they changed them only in very recent times.

@&BV_EngineID=ccchadfmdededlkcefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=TermsAndConditionsRes&site=Res&chanId=0

Those BB terms were effective from 20/05/2013. I cannot see from perusing a few of their other T & Cs if notice has to be given to them if you're out of contract. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the issue.

Advertisement