Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food business planning - where to shop high quality produce and meat?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

This is probably not the best forum for this question. Some time ago I posted here asking some advice about starting a takeaway/restaurant business and then the idea sort of went dormant for a while. I'm now back at trying to work out a plan to see the feasibility, worst/best case gains, etc. One of the things I am sadly not really enlightened about is where do catering businesses get their food from, particularly the produce and meat. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Check out pallasfoods.eu , the sell everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

bizzyb wrote: »
    Check out pallasfoods.eu , the sell everything!

Thanks bizzyb. Are they based in Limerick only as their contact section seems to suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

What kind of takeaway/restaurant takeaway are you planning on setting up?

gagomes wrote: »
    Thanks bizzyb. Are they based in Limerick only as their contact section seems to suggest?

Not to sure,i know the use to have a depot in Athlone but i haven't gone past it in a long time not sure if it is still their.Doesn't really matter where you are because the deliver all over the country.

What kind of takeaway/restaurant takeaway are you planning on setting up?

Indian & Portuguese food
    bizzyb wrote:
    Not to sure,i know the use to have a depot in Athlone but i haven't gone past it in a long time not sure if it is still their.Doesn't really matter where you are because the deliver all over the country.

Thanks, I ended up finding they deliver all over the country. I don't suppose they work with non-businesses do they? I would like to try and make a few parties to see myself working under stress, sort of a dry run.

• Advertisement

I couldn't tell you I've never had any dealings with them. Maybe call/email there sales team and say your only working on recipes and only require a small amount but you will be a potential customer?

Sounds like a good idea. I can see the minimum order is 100, but that is not a big deal, cause I don't mind to make orders in bulk. Thanks again for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Pallas has excellent next day delivery service (in Dublin anyway - order before 5pm and get your stuff the next morning, 5 days a week) and they stock incredible amount of products. for more unique, speciality, high end products check out La Rousse Foods. both companies provide excellent service and i'm sure they would do cash on delivery, but they are not cheap! im sure you can find other suppliers at better prices, but if it's quality and quick service it's hard to beat these two. you'll definietly find better deal on fresh meat elsewhere though.

tsuzmir wrote: »
    Pallas has excellent next day delivery service (in Dublin anyway - order before 5pm and get your stuff the next morning, 5 days a week) and they stock incredible amount of products. for more unique, speciality, high end products check out La Rousse Foods. both companies provide excellent service and i'm sure they would do cash on delivery, but they are not cheap! im sure you can find other suppliers at better prices, but if it's quality and quick service it's hard to beat these two. you'll definietly find better deal on fresh meat elsewhere though.

I completely missed this post, thank you so much! As I understand, pallas foods work supply registered companies. Does La Rousse Foods work with customers in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

gagomes wrote: »
    I completely missed this post, thank you so much! As I understand, pallas foods work supply registered companies. Does La Rousse Foods work with customers in general?
    i dont know. i'm pretty sure both will do 'cash on delivery' but dont know if they'd deal with non business customer. just give them a call, both have very good customer service departments

• Advertisement

Thank you again. I got this email back from La Rousse Foods:

> Hi Goncalo,
    > You would need to be a registered company. However, Fallon & Byrne stock a lot of our products.
    > If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

I second you on good customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi Op.
    When are you next in Dublin? I have a copy of the Pallas Food book with prices, also i can point you in all other directions. I have a little restaurant in town (Georges Arcade) and i am there every day.

Cheers Oliver

Hi Op.
    When are you next in Dublin? I have a copy of the Pallas Food book with prices, also i can point you in all other directions. I have a little restaurant in town (Georges Arcade) and i am there every day.

Cheers Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I have a read a number of your posts and it never ceases to amaze me how much of an important asset you are to this forum and to those users looking to start their own catering related business. I will try to find some time to visit Georges Arcade. I'll pm you a few questions in the meantime! :)

Thanks!

Advertisement