Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pencil fish & Rainbows. Are they compatible in a community tank ?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Pencil fish & Rainbows. Are they compatible in a community tank ?

My Set up: 180 L Rio tank
    Current fish stock:
    3 Swordtail
    5 Pencil Fish
    8 Cardinal tetra
    5 Green tiger barbs
    7 Rummynose
    1Albino Bristlenose

I added 5 rainbow fish to my 180 L Rio tank some 10 days ago.
    Melanotaenia boesemani x2
    Melanotaenia praecox x1
    Melanotaenia lacustris x2

I have noticed a behaviour change with the Cardinals and the Pencils since I added the Rainbows:
    The Cardinals now stay in a deeper planted area and the Pencils gather in a group.
    My question is will this behaviour change over time as they get accustomed to the new additions and may they revert to exploring the full tank as they used to?
    Or do I return the Rainbows to the shop to restore peace and calm?
    Videos to illustrate behaviour
    http://youtu.be/mOnQSKVo4Ms

http://youtu.be/oUNhh7EsjYU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

I wouldn't worry about them too much.

The presence of bigger fish in a tank will cause smaller shoaling fish to shoal. It's natural and the reason shoaling fish shoal in the wild. Rainbows are nice and peaceful particularly the praecox. The pencils and cardinals should get more assured as the new fish settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

You should be ok, but watch your stock levels. You have alot of fish there in a Rio 180.

Advertisement