Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless for a non-wireless router?

• 20-11-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I have a router & broadband provided by my employer to work from home, the problem is that the router doesnt have a wireless feature which means I cant connect any other devices.

Its a cisco router if that helps.

Is there any sort of jack or plug in that I can buy that will enable wireless access? any ideas?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You would need to purchase a wireless access point and plug that into the router if you can't replace the router with a wireless one.

Do you know what model the cisco router is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Cisco 800 series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Cisco 800 series

Interesting piece of kit for home access, some of the 800's do have integrated wireless but I think those have external antennae connections so you'd see those (even if the actual antennas weren't provided by your office) so assuming you don't then as pizzahead said your only other option is a wireless access point either buying any wireless router and configuring it as an access point (Google it) or if that sounds daunting getting one that comes with AP as default mode and are plug and play, there are a few types out there if you look, here is a basic one for 20 quid in Argos

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1219838/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

It also doubles as a travel AP if your hotel only has wired access, I have one for traveling and can't fault it for 20 quid but can't vouch for its longevity if left plugged in constantly, it's range might also be insufficient for full coverage in a house although it works through hotel room walls.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Cheers for replies

Advertisement