Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to fly out this month and get Regional Work done ASAP. Where to go?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So I'm 25, doing an internship as a PT in a gym here. They have agreed to let me fly off to Oz and come back to it after. I want to get going ASAP. I have nothing holding me back and I won't get homesick around X-Mas time or anything like that. I'm just wondering is this a good time to find Regional work? If so, where should I fly in to? I know most people start off in Sydney. Would it be wise to book in to a hostel here then go about finding my regional work?

I've been told by a friend that labour work is better than farming. You get treated and paid better apparently. Also, seeing as I hope to work as a PT after my regional work, it would be handy if I was able to get to a gym occasionally during my 3 months regional work. I'd imagine there's no gyms around the berry farms? I have an international licence so hopefully I'll be able to drive myself around. I have no real preference as to what area in Oz I go to. Somewhere with Irish people in the same boat as me I suppose. Any advice please?

p.s. I know flights will be more expensive because I'm departing abruptly, this is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I really wana get out of this cold, miserable country!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It can be harder to find regional work out of Sydney. Queensland is a better bet. It's coming into wet season now. If it rains in QLD for the wet season forget about working. Fields will be under 1-2m of water if its as bad as the last 2 years. Xmas/New year isn't the greatest time to come over and start looking. Everyone has the same idea as you, its summer here too so that means a lot more people are arriving in the same boat as you.
    It will also be at its hottest as well which will be a shock to your system. You get used to it.
    I'm working rural in the mines and today was about 37c and yesterday was about 36c and it felt normal. Plenty of fluids regularly to stay hydrated, even if you don't feel thirsty. Especially if your working on a farm doing physical work. A big white, wide brimmed hat is a good idea too once you start working.

Your Irish licence is fine here. The international thing doesn't count for much unless you plan to go to Bali or Thailand etc..

Labouring is better than farming. Any work is better than no work though. If you are working on a farm don't be surprised if it isn't as comfortable as you are used to. Have a good quality, warm, small, light sleeping bag. It can get cold at night and in QLD most of the houses/homesteads will be wooden, poorly insulated and be a "Queenslander" style house (raised up on stilts to avoid damage from flooding).

The farms may not be near a town that you can walk to. It could be a 20 minute drive to the nearest town which could be a shop in a petrol station. Don't expect to hit a gym while you are working rural.

In saying that, its 88 days you have to work for and you'll get to meet people and have new experiences along the way. It's a means to an end to get your 2nd year visa sorted too. Even if it isn't what you imagined yourself doing it's a stepping stone.

If you can get your construction white card (some states call it a gren or blue card but its nationally recognised) it opens the door for construction work . It's a 1 day course for about $100 or so. Super easy as well.

There are Irish everywhere. Sydney has lots going on but is expensive. I've only spent a short time in Brisbane through work so can't comment. It's a slower paced city. Brisbane is probably better if you want to get on a bus to go do rural work. There are some websites that look for people and you just get the bus out.

Legally you should get a minimum wage of at least $16.37ph. If you are causal (don't get any holiday pay or benefits etc) it's about $20 per hour. That works out $622 per week to about $770 before tax. On the farm your accommodation should be free and you might have to pay something towards meals maybe? It's easy enough to save though.

Sim cards are cheap when you get here. If you are going rural, go with Telstra. Best coverage but not the best value for money. Value for money means nothing if you can't get reception, so go with Telstra is my recommendation.

Bank accounts are easy to set up, do it when you get here. You'll need a TFN (tax file number) to pay tax on your earnings. Again, easy to do. It's a phone call or a form to fill out and it gets emailed to you. You'll be on 50% tax until you get the TFN sorted out. Tax works out to be approximately 27% off your gross or thereabouts I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

That's a great response. Thanks for the help. Ok, so you've got me to settle for the construction work instead of farm work. I seen this on one of the Sticky Threads.

· Specific work for your 2nd WHV is not limited to fruit picking and farm work, you can for example work in construction in regional Australia.
    · All of South Australia and the Northern Territory is “Regional” including Adelaide & Darwin.

Would it make sense to fly into one of these cities and start looking for work from a hostel there? If so, any particular city ya would recommend? Preferably somewhere I'd meet a few Irish but I'm not too fussy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I'm doing mine at the moment in SA, 30 bucks an hour labouring for an electrical company no other Irish that I've come across in the last couple of months, you need to be in the right area at the right time, I've worked with a couple of different jobs, started out in an oyster farm so will need to complete a full 88 days of work as opposed to 3 months. Worth keeping in mind if your not happy in a job and pick up something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

you can do your 88 days how you want, 5 here, 10 there, 1 there etc....once you get the 88 days done, logged and accounted for.

Anywhere in these postcodes is fine http://www.taw.com.au/Visas/2ndyearvisaextensions/2ndYearVisaPostcodeList.aspx

Also fishing counts. I got mine through working in Oil & Gas. It doesnt matter what postcode you are in if it's Oil & Gas. Hard to get work in it though unless you have experience.

You don't need to meet Irish to get by here. It can help when you first get here of course, word of mouth on job, al being in the same situation and helping each other out.
    I actually have almost no Irish friends here and I've been here almost 3 years. Partly due to my FIFO work (saying that, 60-70% of the guys I work with are Irish). On my time off I probably know 2 Irish people. One I went to Uni with that I've seen twice in nearly 3 years and the other is a best friends brother in law that I've seen 3 times in 2 years.

Once you stick to the postcode list you should be fine. Remember, some jobs, like bar work aren't acceptable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spudj2

I'd recommend Darwin -here at the minute & there is heaps of work. Check out the job shack Facebook page ... They haven't enough workers to fill jobs at the moment .... It's prob the worst time of year to come here / it's extremely hot & the rainy season hence y there is lots jobs (everyone jumps ship down South to Sydbey & Melbourbe).. Almost everybody arriving in Darwin has work within a day or 2 ....pay In the territory is excellent & you can get regional done & still have a decent social life ( unlike on a farm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Darwin sounds perfect! Any particular hostel ya think I should be looking at staying in my first few nights?

Advertisement