Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaa gets protected status

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Every time I see a picture of those I just want to butter one and stuff it in my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Cant beat the aul ham blaa with lashings of butter and ham, washed down with some lovely tay.....Jesus could I be any more local :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Why do you think this is a good news story?

Ffs are you playing semantics or just cranky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Ffs are you playing semantics or just cranky?

Do you actually know what semantics means?

Anyway, I don't get why this is a good news story? What difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Anyway, I don't get why this is a good news story? What difference does it make?

yeah, whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its not good news,its great news!! the humble blaa that all us Waterfordonians have eaten for generations is finally getting recognised internationally..we should actually have a national blaa day for this its that important ;)

The blaa being made in M&D's http://www.aspectphotography.net/blog/2011/11/the-waterford-blaa/

waterford-blaa-2.jpg

waterford-blaa-3.jpg

waterford-blaa-4.jpg

waterford-blaa-5.jpg

waterford-blaa-11.jpg

waterford-blaa-13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The blaa has become a significant culinary commodity in Waterford, in the same way that Parma ham and Parmesan cheese in Italy. This ruling means that Waterford's bakers won't have to worry about blaas appearing all over ireland. They are the only people who will be able to make blaas now.

It's good news for many reasons, that being the obvious one...but the fact that the blaa has been internationally recognised is a great boost too.

the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The two main areas are logical semantics, concerned with matters such as sense and reference and presupposition and implication, andlexical semantics, concerned with the analysis of word meanings and relations between them.

Yes I do actually, I presumed you were arguing whether this story could be construed as just a newspaper article or a piece of good news, or you were just plain cranky there is another answer I suppose but boards rules prevents me from pointing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Bought some today, going to have them later when I get home from work with ham and heaps of butter.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

So, where do you think does the best Blaa in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

An Coilean wrote: »

Has to be Blaa Boy down near the Mercy school, absolutely divine and Michael will fill it with ham/cheese etc for a lovely snack. I never got the love for Hickeys bread or blaas to be honest, a bit thrown together for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I get mine in the corner shop..crusty ones for me and soft for the daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I'd usually get Blaa's down the corner shop too because its handy but the nicest Blaa's I've eaten we're from Greer's cake shop in Michael street, Jesus I'd love one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd love one now too. A nice fluffy soft one, but I'd cut it open and grill the inside for just under a minute, have it crispy but still soft, then the butter would melt on it, nice wedge of red cheddar and some ham... Jaysus, I'm starting to sound like the food version of 50 Shades of Grey.

Don't know whether I'm hungry or horny now :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Texaco garage on Military road at 6am have the nicest crusty blaas ive tasted not sure which bakery they are from though

Hickeys bakery for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hickeys bakery for me.

Yep same here, will be popping in for 6 crusty and 6 floury the next weekend I'm down. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

so basically there baps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

*they're

And no, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

opti76 wrote: »
    so basically there baps.

You're some bap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

so basically there baps.

That's what i called them when i first came to Waterford. I reckon you need to be from Waterford to truly get the fuss. Most of the time they're too floury for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've noticed that the Blaa has been making an appearance in Dublin restaurants recently.

One place toasts them as part of a lunchtime sandwich effort, another was using a 'Waterford Blaa Bap' as a burger bun.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've noticed that the Blaa has been making an appearance in Dublin restaurants recently.

One place toasts them as part of a lunchtime sandwich effort, another was using a 'Waterford Blaa Bap' as a burger bun.
    Had pulled pork in a Waterford blaa in Gotham City off Grafton Street the other dsy. Nice to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Had pulled pork in a Waterford blaa in Gotham City off Grafton Street the other dsy. Nice to see it.

I got the burger with a blaa bun in Gotham as well. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

so basically there baps.
    No they are Blaa's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Never had one, don't particularly like overly floury baps, so sounds like I mightn't like these either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Are they significantly different to the sort of baps they have in Belfast, imaginatively titled Belfast Baps. At first glance the belfast bap looks lack a blaa with a slightly darker or burnt top.....which is the part I like least in the Belfast bap.

Intrigued.

• Advertisement

They are mainly different in that there are no preservatives added so its an early morning eat or they are stale, a kinda one shot job, no 7 day shelf life.

Advertisement