Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaa gets protected status

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

wellboytoo wrote: »
    They are mainly different in that there are no preservatives added so its an early morning eat or they are stale, a kinda one shot job, no 7 day shelf life.

They also go stale as soon as you cross the bridge into Ferrybank:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

harneys blaas ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

wellboytoo wrote: »
    They are mainly different in that there are no preservatives added so its an early morning eat or they are stale, a kinda one shot job, no 7 day shelf life.

So not much potential for marketing them outside the county then? Why did they go for protected status then, isn't it usually to protect the commercial export potential of foodstuffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I asked the woman running one of the restaurants in Dublin how they were getting them up in light of their shelf life.

She advised that they were coming up half-baked Cuisine de France style.

Why did they go for protected status then, isn't it usually to protect the commercial export potential of foodstuffs?

As much of anything, to give the protection that's eluded to in the name. You don't want other bakeries claiming to be producing blaas when they are actually making replica products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Was that a problem previously? I know with say, cornish pasties, it was, because there were factories outside of cornwall trading on the name. I've never seen a blaa for sale though.

hardybuck wrote: »
    As much of anything, to give the protection that's eluded to in the name. You don't want other bakeries claiming to be producing blaas when they are actually making replica products.

Similar products were popping up, aside from the obviously similar baps. I presume they wanted to distinguish themselves from these products, make sure nobody else was claiming to make blaas now or in the future, and also generate publicity.

It's a mark of prestige as well don't forget, and recognises the craft of the bakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

breadrolls are claaa to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

hardybuck wrote: »
    I asked the woman running one of the restaurants in Dublin how they were getting them up in light of their shelf life.

She advised that they were coming up half-baked Cuisine de France style.
    Well done now you have the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Learned to bake them in Palmerstown. Were lovely with rocket, prosciutto and relish! Having a great laugh with my Dublin work colleagues about it!

My lecturer said they are not made in trad fashion......that they should be baked individually and not 'joined together' as sold in many Waterford bakeries......ie you get a batch of six and you peel them off eachother....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

Its a marketing ploy and a good one...restaurants, shops etc can push the blaa as a local delicacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

My lecturer is a dope
    My lecturer,Ohh holy Jasus Boy.Fixed it for you.What the hell would a person from outside Waterford know about a Blaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The place on Stephens Green is called Hatch & Sons and they seem to have proper blaas, I went in there for lunch one day and they thought I was mad because I didn't want them to toast it, I just wanted a blaa and didn't are to much about the filling.

Went in to a restaurant in Greystones where they had "Wicklow Lamb burger on a Waterford Blaa", happy days I thought, but no, when I asked where they got the blaas I found out that they came in once or twice a week from some bakery in blanch and were kept in the freezer until they were needed, tasted like it too, dried out and crumbly, would have been better off with Bundy's from tesco.

I used to like the high blaas, I think that they came from Walsh's back when the hardest decision of the day was to decide on which of the 5 different type of blaa that they had in the canteen in the glass for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The Donnybrook Fair chain in Dublin is another place that is selling "Waterford Blaas". I'd be amazed if they were actually from Waterford however. Anyway personally I think this is good news; a foodstuff that's synonymous with Waterford (and hence Waterford) has been give a bit of publicity. How bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Blaas are being sold in Dubai now :D

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/the-waterford-blaa-now-available-in-dubai-30762436.html

100,000 blaas are made in Waterford each week and long may it continue :)

Advertisement