Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant scheme.

Options
  • 20-11-2013 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Looked into the Grant scheme today, with a view to fencing about 1600 metres of boundary, plus perhaps 600 metres of internal divisions. First thing I'm told, you cannot nail to any tree or bush, but must use purchased posts every 4 metres. Is the scheme therefore more aimed at fencing contractors and sawmills, etc, or farmers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I wouldn't consider nailing a fence to a tree, or a bush. Neighbour done a part of our shared boundary one time and he nailed the finest of wire to trees. Needless to say there's now a fine gap between fence and ground.

The more stakes you have in it, the stronger your fence will be, about three paces apart is the norm here on our lovely flat uncomplicated ground.......

I would go for it but don't qualify :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just putting my application in now. My advice with fencing is if your land is in bad shape then go the whole hog, if you do it by the spec it will last at least 20 years, also unless you have got the right tools for straining wire cutting etc get a contractor, we done a lot of fencing for sheep last 3 years because none was properly sheep proof, easily best money ever spent! luckily our land is all in 1 block so we started with the middle fied and did 3 sides bar the road, (wasn't too bad) this left every other field only needing a small bit of fencing because of double ditchs etc around the perimeter of the land.Definitly go with independent fencing and posts don't nail to trees, briar bush etc, did it for years and never as good. Shop around for posts and staples and insulaters etc you be surprised by what deals you get on big quantities! most important go for the expensive "Tornado" wire, its New Zealand suff and most contractors wont use anything else. I never seen such strong, ignorant sheep wire, serious stuff- 20 year guarantee. The cheap stuff is Chinese absolute dirt, ok for a very temporary job, like a paddock in spring for lambig etc but don't go near it for anything permanent, within a year it wil pull on the mesh and you will have a big hole. again I have experience of it, trying to be too cute buying sh88te wire! lastly if your fencing for cattle as well buy a few insulators there fairly cheap and electrify the top rung if this is possible cause cattle will soon get there head in between the strands of barb and sheep wire and pull staples and lossen it, espically if you get a good pull on the wire. Hope this helps, just we did a good bit last few years and it really is the best money spent in years, but go the extra mile and do a good job cause its a shame to go to the bother if not. and no im not a fencing contractor!!

Advertisement