Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efiber question

Options
  • 20-11-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been made aware that eFiber is due to launch next month in Navan. Eircom representative came to my apartment block went around all the apartments and said that eFiber is due to be available in December and to give eircom a ring then.

As far as I know, fiber can only hold up to 1km from the exchange. I did my calculations, I'm getting 10-13mb off peak and 4-5 peak even though package is sold uncongested but I hope its due to eFiber installations being done.

To the calculations:
    I'm getting 
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) :
    23.9 dB / 12.3 dB

According to this site, approximate line length is 1.7km
    eIJ5jip.jpg
    This leaves me wondering, not sure what to think. Will I be connected to another exchange as your representative came to me and told me that I will be able to get speeds up to 70mb which left me very excited.

Regards,
    Kris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Efibre is connected from your home to a cabinet by copper cable then the cabinet to the exchange is fibre.
    So it depends on where your nearest cabinet is what speed you will get. There's a mapping thread in the broadband forum that shows a lot of the cabinet locations and what they look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Efibre is connected from your home to a cabinet by copper cable then the cabinet to the exchange is fibre.
    So it depends on where your nearest cabinet is what speed you will get. There's a mapping thread in the broadband forum that shows a lot of the cabinet locations and what they look like.
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please link me the thread?

Regards

edit: I've found the thread, and I've seen both of those cabinets down the road. Don't think it's even 1km away.
    Seen someone install the light green one few days ago actually on my way to the bus. How long would it take to go live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

thret wrote: »
    D_BEAR wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please link me the thread?

Regards

edit: I've found the thread, and I've seen both of those cabinets down the road. Don't think it's even 1km away.
    Seen someone install the light green one few days ago actually on my way to the bus. How long would it take to go live?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi thret[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I can confirm that the advice offered by D_BEAR (thanks D_BEAR) is indeed correct.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I'm glad to hear the good news for you however I would like provide further clarification on efibre availability:[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]While I can confirm that efibre should be coming to Navan mid December. Not all areas in Navan will be able to avail of an upgrade as works to cabinets will be ongoing over the next year but the cabinets done by December will be going live then.
     [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]I found your number through an old case logged with us and I have contacted efibre operations who have advised me that your specific area requires more works and is not scheduled for a December 2013 release. Operations have advised me that efibre should launch in your specific area within the next 12 months however have been unable to provide any further timeframe beyond this.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks

Al[/font]

Hi,

That's very unfortunate news, because I was hoping for lower ping times as it's impossible to play after 7pm when congestion reaches the maximum and puts me down to like 3mb from 13mb and increases my ping to 200+. Is there anything you can do about this? I know you don't guarantee ping times, but it wasn't like this before summer so I'm sure there is something you can do about it. I'm a gamer and ping is very important to me, even more important that speed..

Regards

Hi,

That's very unfortunate news, because I was hoping for lower ping times as it's impossible to play after 7pm when congestion reaches the maximum and puts me down to like 3mb from 13mb and increases my ping to 200+. Is there anything you can do about this? I know you don't guarantee ping times, but it wasn't like this before summer so I'm sure there is something you can do about it. I'm a gamer and ping is very important to me, even more important that speed..

Regards

Hi thret

I'm sorry I could not offer better news thret.

I see from all the previous correspondence we have had with you over the past 18 months that a good ping is very important to you however as ping can be affected by many things beyond the control of eircom there is little we can do to assist.

I see that most of the advice provided in the following link has already been offered but I highly recommend having a good read of this:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Latency-High-Pings/m-p/17414#M8693

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Hi,

Unfortunately I have done everything I can on my side so surely it has to be a fault on your side. As I said before, there was no problem few months back my internet was stable. No speed drops, no high pings. No devices have been added on the network and I have tried only connecting one device via Ethernet cable and having wi-fi disabled.

I had contacted tech before but with no success, they kept feeding me that they don't guarantee ping times, yet I know from friends who work in internet companies that there is much eircom can do about it to fix it and to satisfy my needs.
    First step would probably be turning off interleaving, rest they know themselves.

Hope you can help me out as I know you guys on forum are much more helpful then people on the phone who do not care at all.

Regards

Hi,

Unfortunately I have done everything I can on my side so surely it has to be a fault on your side. As I said before, there was no problem few months back my internet was stable. No speed drops, no high pings. No devices have been added on the network and I have tried only connecting one device via Ethernet cable and having wi-fi disabled.

I had contacted tech before but with no success, they kept feeding me that they don't guarantee ping times, yet I know from friends who work in internet companies that there is much eircom can do about it to fix it and to satisfy my needs.
    First step would probably be turning off interleaving, rest they know themselves.

Hope you can help me out as I know you guys on forum are much more helpful then people on the phone who do not care at all.

Regards
    Hi thret

I've discussed this with a member of technical support who has advised me that they can't turn off interleaving. When I asked why he advised me this is physically impossible. I have also been advised that he feels lowering the speeds to 12MB from currently 14MB may help as he feels [font=Calibri","sans-serif]the modem is correcting more failures than transmitting data, that is why a lower profile will bring more power.

Would you like this arranged? It really is the best we can do thret.

Thanks

Al[/font]

Well if that's the best you can do for me, do it!
    I'll see how it goes and get back to you soon.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi thret

I've requested this now however this may take up to 24 hours to complete. (there may be a max of 5 minutes downtime).

Thanks

Al

Thanks

Hi thret

I've requested this now however this may take up to 24 hours to complete. (there may be a max of 5 minutes downtime).

Thanks

Al
    Hi thret

Technical support have got back to me and they have confirmed that the speeds have been reduced to 12MB. Really hope this helps.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

I can confirm that speed has indeed been changed to 12MB.
    I will test it in the upcoming days and get back to you on Monday.

Regards.

I can confirm that speed has indeed been changed to 12MB.
    I will test it in the upcoming days and get back to you on Monday.

Regards.
    Thanks thret

Al

Hi Alan,

This did not help and I would like my speeds to be reset back to 15MB.

Also, coming back home yesterday I noticed Eircom's VDSL cabinet installed right next to my house. Is there still no information when this is going live?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Alan,

This did not help and I would like my speeds to be reset back to 15MB.

Also, coming back home yesterday I noticed Eircom's VDSL cabinet installed right next to my house. Is there still no information when this is going live?

Regards
    Hi thret

We checked your address with the efibre roll-out team. There is no news as to when your home can order efibre at present. It may be 2014 before we get any further roll-out information for the area.

Mark

Have you forwarded my request to put my speed back up?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Regards

Hi thret,

Yes we have forwarded your details to the support channel to change your speed profile however it'll take 24 hours to be processed.

Thanks

Tracey

Regards

Hi thret,

Yes we have forwarded your details to the support channel to change your speed profile however it'll take 24 hours to be processed.

Thanks

Tracey
    Thank you Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Hi eircom reps,

Over the passed couple of weeks the BB has been on and off like crazy.

Even while I writing this it's knocking off.

Ever since the mass BB switch off happened it hasn't been the same.(it was perfect before this event)

I am currently filling out an application form that might end up been late due to the eircom problem with the internet.
    I called your call centre to no avail even though I know how everything works as I used to work for Eircom Credit Management.
    I am hoping someone can assist me with this problem as my application is internet based and is due in by Thursday.

For any other information please pm me!

This is urgent as my application is extremely important!

Hi eircom reps,

Over the passed couple of weeks the BB  has been on and off like crazy.

Even while I writing this it's knocking off.

Ever since the mass BB switch off happened it hasn't been the same.(it was perfect before this event)

I am currently filling out an application form that might end up been late due to the eircom problem with the internet.
    I called your call centre to no avail even though I know how everything works as I used to work for Eircom Credit Management.
    I am hoping someone can assist me with this problem as my application is internet based and is due in by Thursday.

For any other information please pm me!

This is urgent as my application is extremely important!
    Hi Sgt. Bilko 09,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having.

Would you like to PM me your details and I'll look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

Hi guys, is there still no details as of when will my exchange go live?
    I'm desperate here guys. :(

• Advertisement

Hi guys, is there still no details as of when will my exchange go live?
    I'm desperate here guys. :(

I'm afraid there is no update on your exchange going live as of yet.

Tracey

Honestly, my internet is getting worse and worse.. speed drops, ping goes highrocket I'm very disappointed..

I came back from my holidays yesterday tried to get back to gaming but it's not possible. My ping is fine during the day up until around 5pm when it goes high even to servers located in UK, it is impossible to play.

How can it get worse? There must be something that you can do.. before it only started skyrocketing around 8pm until 10pm now it's 5pm to like 3am it's ridiculous.

Tracing route to 83.141.26.173 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    22 ms    22 ms    21 ms  b-ras1.mgr.mullingar.eircom.net [159.134.155.13]

3    23 ms    21 ms    25 ms  tenge-5-1-1.pe1.mgr.dbc-mgr.eircom.net [86.43.24
    7.141]
      4    24 ms    22 ms    22 ms  tenge-6-1-1.core1.bdt.core.eircom.net [86.43.252
    .241]
      5    37 ms    37 ms    37 ms  tenge-1-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net [86.43.25
    3.82]
      6    37 ms    38 ms    38 ms  ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [86.43.244.1
    94]
      7   157 ms   156 ms   154 ms  decix.fra2.tng.de [80.81.192.83]
      8   140 ms   140 ms   140 ms  t4-1.decix.rt02.of.aixit.net [83.141.1.187]
      9   161 ms   163 ms   163 ms  v905-edge02.of.aixit.com [83.141.5.78]
     10   158 ms   154 ms   152 ms  83.141.26.173

This server is located in Germany, it seems to go fine trough the eircom servers but then you route me trough some horrible places with cheap rental? I don't know. It used to all be fine, now I might as well just give up and look for other providers, but oh wait.. UPC isn't allowed to service my apartment block because it's in contract with horrible eircom service and you own all the other lines which will still route me trough horrible places which makes online gaming impossible..

Please, please, please may I kindly ask to figure something out here? I pay for uncongested internet which should mean it's stable all the time not only during the day when people are at work..

Regards,
    happy newyear.......

Edit:
    May I add that this is to bbc.co.uk
    Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.253.67] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=116
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=116
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=116
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=116

If you look trough my old threads, you can see that I used to get like 38ms average before, I've changed nothing, so it must be your side..

Edit again:
    this is to a server hosted in Chicago, USA
    1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
     2    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  b-ras1.mgr.mullingar.eircom.net [159.134.15

3    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  tenge-5-1-1.pe1.mgr.dbc-mgr.eircom.net [86.
    .141]
     4    24 ms    38 ms    24 ms  tenge-5-2-1.core1.srl.core.eircom.net [86.4
    117]
     5    36 ms    35 ms    35 ms  tenge-2-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net [86.
    .114]
     6    35 ms    35 ms    35 ms  ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [86.43.
    4]
     7    93 ms    94 ms    95 ms  xe-2-3-2.lon11.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.76.161]
     8   267 ms   255 ms   212 ms  xe-1-0-0.chi12.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.187.90
     9   176 ms   177 ms     *     internap-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.70.2]
    10   179 ms   176 ms   178 ms  border5.po2-bbnet2.chg.pnap.net [64.94.32.7
    11   177 ms   176 ms   180 ms  c-74-91-119-217.managed-vds.internap-chicag
    ervers.com [74.91.119.217]

almost same ms as Germany... Tell me you see a problem here.
    I'm so angry even words can't explain it, it's ridiculous..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

thret, whether or not your connection is 'uncongested' would not make a difference to the issue you are having. When eircom talks about uncongested, they are talking about the first hop... it really should be called contended rather than congested. The idea is that multiple subscribers will share the same backhaul out onto the internet. Once on the internet, there will always be some degree of contention... whether or not this results in congestion depends, to a large degree, on the router configuration.

From the traces you posted, I suspect the router at ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net is misconfigured, or more likely suffers from too large buffer. This causes traffic to be 'bursty'. In other words when congested, it takes more time for the buffer to fill and the router to send a message back upstream to say 'hang on a sec' to the other routers. With smaller buffers, congestion does not cause the longer delays and latency is better managed.

You obviously have some knowledge of networking, so you may find this informative -> http://www.bufferbloat.net/

gerryk wrote: »
    thret, whether or not your connection is 'uncongested' would not make a difference to the issue you are having. When eircom talks about uncongested, they are talking about the first hop... it really should be called contended rather than congested. The idea is that multiple subscribers will share the same backhaul out onto the internet. Once on the internet, there will always be some degree of contention... whether or not this results in congestion depends, to a large degree, on the router configuration.

From the traces you posted, I suspect the router at ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net is misconfigured, or more likely suffers from too large buffer. This causes traffic to be 'bursty'. In other words when congested, it takes more time for the buffer to fill and the router to send a message back upstream to say 'hang on a sec' to the other routers. With smaller buffers, congestion does not cause the longer delays and latency is better managed.

You obviously have some knowledge of networking, so you may find this informative -> http://www.bufferbloat.net/
    thanks for replying, it's interesting but it doesn't solve my problem whether or not it's a problem with congestion. This didn't happen before and surely there is something about it eircom can do.. I've been trying to get this solved but it's only getting worse.. Eircom rep, please reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

thanks for replying, it's interesting but it doesn't solve my problem whether or not it's a problem with congestion. This didn't happen before and surely there is something about it eircom can do.. I've been trying to get this solved but it's only getting worse.. Eircom rep, please reply!

Your problem is congestion but not locally. The router i mentioned is likely the problem.

Advertisement