Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hck shock sensor problem

Options
  • 20-11-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys I have a hkc alarm and last week it went off in the middle of the night for no reason.The next day it went off again the same zone so I decided to change to sensors, four windows and one door but the door is fitted with a reed shock sensor so I got the new sensors fitted them wired them the way the old ones were wired and still the alarm go’s off. The events massage says it’s a gross alarm and when I reset it the next alarm is a pulse alarm. I am fairly sure I have wired the sensors back correctly. Help please its driving me mad

Thanks
    duggie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just changing sensors blindly is no good. You need to check the resistance on the entire zone...

Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors,
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads.
    on a lenght of cable long enough to reach all your windows on zone 3.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452

• Registered Users Posts: 5 duggie501

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just changing sensors blindly is no good. You need to check the resistance on the entire zone...

Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors,
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads.
    on a lenght of cable long enough to reach all your windows on zone 3.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452

Thanks koolkid I'll try it out and let ya know what's happens

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also, just as a matter of interest, what's the gross and pulse set at for that zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

duggie501 wrote: »

Hi guys I have a hkc alarm and last week it went off in the middle of the night for no reason.The next day it went off again the same zone so I decided to change to sensors, four windows and one door but the door is fitted with a reed shock sensor so I got the new sensors fitted them wired them the way the old ones were wired and still the alarm go’s off. The events massage says it’s a gross alarm and when I reset it the next alarm is a pulse alarm. I am fairly sure I have wired the sensors back correctly. Help please its driving me mad

Thanks
    duggie

If you have replaced the sensors then check for loose connections plus that the sensor heads arrow is point upwards.

Hi KoolKid the gross and pulse settings are both set at 4 and Altor i have double checked and all the connections are fine and all the arrows are pointing up. i have got a meter at work today and will test it this evening. thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Also post up what the resistance is on that loop and how many devices are on it.

duggie501 wrote: »
    Hi KoolKid the gross and pulse settings are both set at 4 and Altor i have double checked and all the connections are fine and all the arrows are pointing up. i have got a meter at work today and will test it this evening. thanks for the advice

Are you sure the senors you changed are on the same loop?
    If so may be a cable issue.

The best way to find these issues is by checking the resistance. Anything else is just guess work.

Agreed, just needs to make sure all the sensors he is testing are on the same loop.

And that will show up when you test the resistance on that zone won't it?

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. He just needs to make sure he tests all the sensors regardless of where they are to determine they are on the same zone. Only by doing this will he know they are on the same zone.

I'm taking he has already identified what's on the zone seeing as he went and replaced the sensors already. But if in doubt walk test first.

Right lads, got the problem sorted! It turns out it was a damaged wire between two windows, very hard to find as originally when the electrician wired the house he wired it for two sensors on each window. But when the alarm engineers installed the alarm, they said two sensors on one window would be too sensitive so they joined the wires and pushed them up into the head over the window. Its from this joint to the sensor on the same window that was the problem. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

By the way, do either of you know anything about a GSM Dialler called D2M? Got one installed when the alarm went in 8 years ago. Just wondering if theres instructions or directions on how to use it as it keeps losing the signal and therefore doesn't call my phone if the alarm goes off. Thanks...

D2M is not a dialler as such. Its simply a device that converts a mobile line to an analogue line that can be connected to the dialler in the panel.
    There is no programming involved. If you have an issue with signal try moving the aerial or change the SIM with one from another provider.
    If you are changing the SIM power the unit down, turn off the PIN request on the new SIM & power it back up after the SIM has been inserted.

I'll give that a go, thanks again

Advertisement