Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time bakers - 21st birthday cake, Help!

Options
  • 20-11-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi there my daughter and I want to make a cake for my sons 21st that looks like the Munster Jersey.
    Has any one got any tips?? Recipies to recommend??.. We were thinking a medira and butter cream cake. with red roll out fondant to cover. and then decorate. Or maybe a chocolate biscuit cake??
    We've never attempted anything on this scale.. Only ever decorated cup cakes. Does the coloured fondant (ready made) need something between it and the sponge... Like the almond paste on an Xmas cake?? Sorry if this is v basic, hope am not appearing too foolish :)
    Thanks MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Chocolate biscuit cake is very difficult to cover with red sugarpaste in my experience, there's so much colouring in the icing that it's very soft and tends to tear on the very hard unyielding chocolate biscuit cake. You don't need marzipan, and to be honest it would taste rotten with madeira or chocolate biscuit cake. Just buttercream on the sponge cake would stick the icing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I've made Liverpool jersey cakes with chocolate biscuit cake and turned out fine but do use pre-coloured sugarpaste it's very difficult to get that strong red colour without adding gallons of colouring.

photo%2520%25282%2529.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liana*

You could do choc biscuit cake, but before you put the sugarpaste on you should put a layer of ganache on the cake, this will fill in all the lumps and bumps and give you a smooth cake to put the sugarpaste on. Otherwise madeira cake is perfect, but put a layer of buttercream on it before the sugarpaste.

Another alternative is to get the Munster logo printed on an edible sheet. Decobake do this as does Gemma here https://www.facebook.com/irelandtopcake I've bought toppers from her. Then put the logo on a buttercream covered cake or a red sugarpasted cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Wow!!! What a fab cake!!!! :)
    sandy_c wrote: »
    I've made Liverpool jersey cakes with chocolate biscuit cake and turned out fine but do use pre-coloured sugarpaste it's very difficult to get that strong red colour without adding gallons of colouring.

photo%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Thanks everyone, some great tips.. We are going to do some trial runs over the next few weeks with yer tips and see what works best for us... Cheers!!!! His Bday is 1st of January so we have a nice bit of time..

Sandy_c how did you get the shape so perfect?? It's just fab..... did u mould it while warm or cut it??? Thanks MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Munstermad wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, some great tips.. We are going to do some trial runs over the next few weeks with yer tips and see what works best for us... Cheers!!!! His Bday is 1st of January so we have a nice bit of time..

Sandy_c how did you get the shape so perfect?? It's just fab..... did u mould it while warm or cut it??? Thanks MM

It's a wilton cake tin, i bought it on ebay! best investment, i've made so many shirt cakes! Leinster ones, Celtic ones...... Carving can be a bit difficult but do-able :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Here's a tutorial that could be useful to you. It breaks down the processes step by step. Best of luck with the cake and don't forget to post up a pic of the finished product. I'm sure it will be fab :)

http://cakesbakesandcookies.com/2011/10/12/how-to-make-a-football-shirt-cake/

Here's a tutorial that could be useful to you. It breaks down the processes step by step. Best of luck with the cake and don't forget to post up a pic of the finished product. I'm sure it will be fab :)

will do!

1st cake layer done and so far so good, used a well lined roasting tray. Used recommended mederia recipe, didn't do any practice cakes!! So this is the one and only!!!.... So fingers crossed will all work out. Will keep ye posted! :eek:

Looking forward to seeing the end result. Good Luck!

• Advertisement

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1464643_10202501047664947_70675446_n.jpg?oh=6b0ce50302ed426494da74e966e2ec78&oe=52C23222

Turned out o.k. Mederia mixture was a little heavy and had a few cracks on the red past, but we were happy with our 1st attempt.... Hard work but very enjoyable... Thanks again for all the advice :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks brilliant, you'd never think it was a first attempt :)

That's a fantastic cake! No way would you think it's the first time you tried it. I bet Darragh loved it, you've a talent :)

Advertisement