Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie League SMFA monitoring transfers On/Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

No, keep it On, as is.
    Challenge is still there:

**Obviously hypothetical scenario**
    I think that if SM is turned off the problem will be (Insert club) will sign (insert player) for (insert cash) and it will be wrong because (insert valid reason)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Challenge is still there:

**Obviously hypothetical scenario**
    I think that if SM is turned off the problem will be (Insert club) will sign (insert player) for (insert cash) and it will be wrong because (insert valid reason)

Out of interest, is there any possible scenario that you won't just dismiss ;)

No, keep it On, as is.
    Out of interest, is there any possible scenario that you won't just dismiss ;)

Is that not your job to provide that?

Is that not your job to provide that?

You've already had examples given of the dangers turning it off can cause. But you just dismiss them out of hand and go "Nah". I can repeat them if you want, but you've obviously made your mind up. No amount of paraphrasing what me and others have said will change the fact you want it off, so please stop pretending that your mind can actually be changed on the matter.

No, keep it On, as is.
    You've already had examples given of the dangers turning it off can cause. But you just dismiss them out of hand and go "Nah". I can repeat them if you want, but you've obviously made your mind up. No amount of paraphrasing what me and others have said will change the fact you want it off, so please stop pretending that your mind can actually be changed on the matter.

Sorry man, same old rehash of non specifics.....

Tell ya what, go through the scenario provided above and if you can make a water-tight in arguable case then I'll even change my vote.

Please, don't respond with with more dancing around the subject either as its pointless...

As I said, I'll change my vote if you can do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No, keep it On, as is.
    Whilst it is a forum and a place too debate things let's try too be civil. Some people are soley against it and some totally pro it. If another poster doesn't share your opinion then thats fine but don't make it personal. I was in the leave it as is camp and now I'm interested in trying it off. Either way no matter what the outcome is it's just a trial! It may or may not improve transfer activity ( I belive it will) also lads comparing this world too other worlds is unfair. Any game worlds with only 15-20 managers will allways be easyier too buy and sell in and worlds with 70-80 managers are normally more P/E orientated. People are saying the deals are always one sided but I don't believe so. If you sell a 90+ player for 2 "prospects" and minimal cash the person buying the 90 player is getting a better deal right now! I'm on soccermanager manager years now and for every Marco Rues theres 10 Milhomem Guilherme's. Yes when you bid 18 million for a 90 rated left back and you get countered with Bale, Ronaldo & 50million thats ridiculous carry on. But someone countering 18 million with say Adnan Junazai, James McCarthy and 2 million isn't ridiculous! McCarthy will prob never reach 90 (IMO) Januzai may but not for 18 months (again IMO) and 2 million buys another 10 youngsters and people are dismissing these deals straight off! Thats where it comes down too managers decisions as I'm sure some managers here see McCarthy following Fellaini and Arteta in to the 90s and others see Januzai as the next Messi but again thats all down too choice of managers!

Mac, thats fair enough but how does monitoring, on or off, affect that? How are those sort of deals not possible now with it on?

No, keep it On, as is.
    Mac, thats fair enough but how does monitoring, on or off, affect that? How are those sort of deals not possible now with it on?

Because to complete a deal like that would take 3 transactions when it should only take one! That's you done with that club for the entire season!

Not helping the market, that's a fact

Because to complete a deal like that would take 3 transactions when it should only take one! That's you done with that club for the entire season!

Not helping the market, that's a fact

So its a laziness problem? Also again I ask, does turning it off remove the limitation of only buying three players from a club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No, keep it On, as is.
    So its a laziness problem? Also again I ask, does turning it off remove the limitation of only buying three players from a club?

That I'm not sure about. If someone can ask on the forum we mat get an answer. Not only that at the moment (case in point my Loic Remy deal) is agreed too do the deal over two transactions and both were reversed for "multiple deals" TSC I'm not sayin this will solve every transfer issue i just think it's worth a try thats all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That I'm not sure about. If someone can ask on the forum we mat get an answer. Not only that at the moment (case in point my Loic Remy deal) is agreed too do the deal over two transactions and both were reversed for "multiple deals" TSC I'm not sayin this will solve every transfer issue i just think it's worth a try thats all

people need to be clever when doing more than one deal with a club, I bought 3 from Newcastle in the first few weeks of the GW, but not all in 3 days time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Same scenario, with SM on.....
    Ok, two brothers, one at Madrid the other at wherever he is.

Madrid:"I'm quitting, do you want ronaldo"

"Yeah sure"

Madrid:"cool, fire in A LOW OFFER THAT SM WILL NOT FLAG, NOT MINIMUM BUT NOT MAXIMUM (AFTER ALL I'M LEAVING SO I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY) and I'll accept"

"Thanks brother you're awesome!!"

True. There is nothing to stop this happening. For one transfer between these clubs. But as soon as they try another transfer that seems to favour one of the clubs over the other, it will be flagged, and most likely reversed, along with the first transfer. I'm fairly certain this has also already happened too, that a first transfer was reversed on account of a second transfer being "suspect". With SMFA turned off, several transfers can be made to favour that one club.
    If monitoring is ON this can happen, if it's on people can't report it as it will not throw up an 'illegal' flag, can't have it reversed and the Madrid team is left fecked for the next deserving manager.

Is this actually true? I was of the belief that the "Illegal" flag/option was available for every transfer between clubs in the gameworld, i.e. transfers between a GW team and an external didn't have an option to report it.
    If I wanted to asset strip Lazio to the bare bones I could do it even with SM on, so no point in going through this scenario.

Again, this is true. However, this will only be to the detriment of Lazio. With the monitoring on, as soon as you start off-loading several players to one team, those transfers will be flagged.

Hence, you won't be able to dramatically improve one particular team, (i.e. a friend's team). With monitoring off, this can very easily be done.
    How about we go through the scenario that all the scaremongering is about, you know the one where the manager is not leaving and magically all these external/unmanaged clubs acquire all the top players?????

I'm not sure I follow this argument in truth, but I don't want to leave out any part of your post. I'm struggling to understand how external/unmanaged clubs will be affected in any way by a change in the transfer monitoring rule.

P.S. I'm don't mean any offence by just taking your post, but you've just offered some arguments and I'm just offering counter arguments. :)

No, keep it On, as is.
    Wilberto wrote: »
    True. There is nothing to stop this happening. For one transfer between these clubs. But as soon as they try another transfer that seems to favour one of the clubs over the other, it will be flagged, and most likely reversed, along with the first transfer. I'm fairly certain this has also already happened too, that a first transfer was reversed on account of a second transfer being "suspect". With SMFA turned off, several transfers can be made to favour that one club.

It could still be done over a period of time without detection with SM monitoring on, there is no arguing that, the point is valid, its the time scale that is only in question

Is this actually true? I was of the belief that the "Illegal" flag/option was available for every transfer between clubs in the gameworld, i.e. transfers between a GW team and an external didn't have an option to report it.

Nope, not every, hence rendering the minimum acceptable amount 'theory' as invalid, because lets be honest if the minimum amount value is subject to validation by SM monitoring then why does it exist???

Again, this is true. However, this will only be to the detriment of Lazio. With the monitoring on, as soon as you start off-loading several players to one team, those transfers will be flagged.

Hence, you won't be able to dramatically improve one particular team, (i.e. a friend's team). With monitoring off, this can very easily be done.

Again, its important to remember that I was speaking from a hypothetical standpoint, I have no intention of doing this, my point was to prove that it could be done regardless, I don't agree with your point, it could be done, again its just a question of time period as opposed to ability to do

I'm not sure I follow this argument in truth, but I don't want to leave out any part of your post. I'm struggling to understand how external/unmanaged clubs will be affected in any way by a change in the transfer monitoring rule.

LOL, that was my point.... they won't. I'm trying to get those not in favour to come clean and explain what exactly it is they are afraid of. They say this will happen that will happen but none of it actually will..... My point was to be more specific rather than throwing up generalizations & lets talk about things that might actually have a chance of happening if things change, not speculate

P.S. I'm don't mean any offence by just taking your post, but you've just offered some arguments and I'm just offering counter arguments. :)

No offence taken, we are talking and no personal insults were traded, others could take a leaf man
    ;)

No, keep it On, as is.

No not laziness! You missed the he point, take the Remy deal as example...

If we completed that deal using 3 seperate transfers no more transfers between us for the season....

Why should it be that way, nothing to do with laziness, spending hours on end scouting players for on one end of the planet to the other compiling shortlists over well over 1000 players and suddenly it becomes a laziness issue when it comes to doing the deals, ah please come on let's talk properly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Or you could answer the question :rolleyes:

Some man for the smilies ;) winkyface :confused::)

You edited your post at 11.04 and my post was made at 11.05, there was no question when I read your original post

As TS said above you just dismiss everything out of hand, I've already debated this enough. I believe the monitoring should be left on and I've voted that way. I'm done with the thread till the vote is finished. If it's voted to be turned off, that's fine by me, democracy at work is a fine thing.

No, keep it On, as is.
    Some man for the smilies ;) winkyface :confused::)

You edited your post at 11.04 and my post was made at 11.05, there was no question when I read your original post

As TS said above you just dismiss everything out of hand, I've already debated this enough. I believe the monitoring should be left on and I've voted that way. I'm done with the thread till the vote is finished. If it's voted to be turned off, that's fine by me, democracy at work is a fine thing.

Question was there before I edited as I write 'edit', for my additions....

As for this 'dismissing out of hand' that would imply I don't respond with reason or explaination, which I do. Also further to this, I did actually state I would change my vote if someone could provide an undenyable scenario using the criteria I provided (nobody has taken this up though) so if im willing to change my vote, let alone my opinion then its hardly 'out of hand' the opposite is true in fact, I want to discuss the merits of it yet the opposition to it seem unwilling to accept the relevant points I made......

But your right, democracy.... Fingers crossed. What's your problem with smilies?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It could still be done over a period of time without detection with SM monitoring on, there is no arguing that, the point is valid, its the time scale that is only in question
    I agree. The only variable in this equation is time. However, if we are speaking in terms of a manager who is leaving then will they actually stay on that extra bit just to benefit their friends team? In order to do so, they may have to stay on an extra 6 months in order to have make any sufficient improvements to the other team whilst avoiding attention from the SMFA. But, as you say, there's no real way of knowing the length of time they'd have to wait between transfers.

However, the only requirement for the leaving manager is to log on once every 20 days or so, maybe sign a few cheap youngsters, and then every 2 months offload one of the star players to the other team. Looking at it this way, this could be done over several seasons with very little effort. Or the leaving manager could just hand his SM password to his friend and he can do this.

Then again, having said all that, it does say somewhere under the SMFA transfer monitoring system, that it monitors past transactions between the two teams. This could suggest that it remembers all these transactions, in which case there is no time limit.
    Nope, not every, hence rendering the minimum acceptable amount 'theory' as invalid, because lets be honest if the minimum amount value is subject to validation by SM monitoring then why does it exist???

I've looked at the transfer over the last 5/6 turns and it seems that all bar one transfer between managed clubs have an option to report the transfer as illegal. The other transfer was the transfer of Nzonzi to myself, which obviously wasn't going to show up an "Illegal" tag for me.

Now, that said, I don't think it was used anyway so I don't think it's of any significant importance. But maybe that's because everybody deemed the SMFA to be doing it's job properly.

Again, its important to remember that I was speaking from a hypothetical standpoint, I have no intention of doing this, my point was to prove that it could be done regardless, I don't agree with your point, it could be done, again its just a question of time period as opposed to ability to do

This has pretty much reached the same conclusion as the first point, but all I'll say is, if you do decide to strip your team then let me know!! Ciaran Kilduff for El Sharawaay sounds about right!! :D
    LOL, that was my point.... they won't. I'm trying to get those not in favour to come clean and explain what exactly it is they are afraid of. They say this will happen that will happen but none of it actually will..... My point was to be more specific rather than throwing up generalizations & lets talk about things that might actually have a chance of happening if things change, not speculate

Yeah, but I don't think anyone was making any claims about external or unmanaged clubs were they? The simple fact that transfers between unmanaged or external teams and managed teams can't be reported is enough to suggest that they wont be affected either way.

No problem with :) I <3 them :):D :rolleyes: ;)

No, keep it On, as is.
    I agree. The only variable in this equation is time. However, if we are speaking in terms of a manager who is leaving then will they actually stay on that extra bit just to benefit their friends team? In order to do so, they may have to stay on an extra 6 months in order to have make any sufficient improvements to the other team whilst avoiding attention from the SMFA. But, as you say, there's no real way of knowing the length of time they'd have to wait between transfers.

However, the only requirement for the leaving manager is to log on once every 20 days or so, maybe sign a few cheap youngsters, and then every 2 months offload one of the star players to the other team. Looking at it this way, this could be done over several seasons with very little effort. Or the leaving manager could just hand his SM password to his friend and he can do this.

Then again, having said all that, it does say somewhere under the SMFA transfer monitoring system, that it monitors past transactions between the two teams. This could suggest that it remembers all these transactions, in which case there is no time limit.

I've looked at the transfer over the last 5/6 turns and it seems that all bar one transfer between managed clubs have an option to report the transfer as illegal. The other transfer was the transfer of Nzonzi to myself, which obviously wasn't going to show up an "Illegal" tag for me.

Now, that said, I don't think it was used anyway so I don't think it's of any significant importance. But maybe that's because everybody deemed the SMFA to be doing it's job properly.

This has pretty much reached the same conclusion as the first point, but all I'll say is, if you do decide to strip your team then let me know!! Ciaran Kilduff for El Sharawaay sounds about right!! :D

Yeah, but I don't think anyone was making any claims about external or unmanaged clubs were they? The simple fact that transfers between unmanaged or external teams and managed teams can't be reported is enough to suggest that they wont be affected either way.

Think we pretty much agree on the time thing that whilst difficult it is not impossible so essentially SM monitoring is not preventing this..... Agree?

As far as I'm aware there was not an illegal option for say my Lennon deal? Could be wrong and maybe someone else could clarify what the situation is on this..

If I do, el sha is yours!

My point about unmanaged and externals goes back to o the original thread where those opposed to turning it off were afraid of what 'might' happen, without explaination..... same as on this thread when I asked for a possible example and no reply....

My point is some would have you believe such evil terrors will steal away your prize players if its turned off (only a few mind u, most have more sense) and cannot commit to how this will happen exactly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

With the monitoring on every transfer between two managed teams can be reported it doesn't make a difference if someone bought Ronaldo for max or min cash or any amount in between it could still be reported

• Advertisement

Think we pretty much agree on the time thing that whilst difficult it is not impossible so essentially SM monitoring is not preventing this..... Agree?

As far as I'm aware there was not an illegal option for say my Lennon deal? Could be wrong and maybe someone else could clarify what the situation is on this..

On my phone and writing quickly so hope that makes sense
    If I do, el sha is yours!

My point about unmanaged and externals goes back to o the original thread where those opposed to turning it off were afraid of what 'might' happen, without explaination..... same as on this thread when I asked for a possible example and no reply....

My point is some would have you believe such evil terrors will steal away your prize players if its turned off (only a few mind u, most have more sense) and cannot commit to how this will happen exactly....

Who? I don't think I'll lose any players, I have to accept the bid :confused: I do believe that it opens the world up to deals that may be underhanded, like in the "brothers" example I have above.

I mean take for example your deal that was reversed last week. It may have been legit but it looked seriously dodgy when he was already offered 20m by Everton but took your deal instead. If he was your mate and took the deal because of that, maybe sold you on another few players for fairly low bids and then left his team... That's not on and SM monitoring helps counter that.

Like I said, if it's turned off, fair enough. I don't think the gameworld is gonna explode or go tits up. What I do think is that leaving it on is better than having it off

With the monitoring on every transfer between two managed teams can be reported it doesn't make a difference if someone bought Ronaldo for max or min cash or any amount in between it could still be reported

Ok. That's grand. If its not reported its grand or if it is reported and SM think there's something wrong, it's reversed. If it's off, nothing can be done no matter what...

No, keep it On, as is.
    Who? I don't think I'll lose any players, I have to accept the bid :confused: I do believe that it opens the world up to deals that may be underhanded, like in the "brothers" example I have above.

I mean take for example your deal that was reversed last week. It may have been legit but it looked seriously dodgy when he was already offered 20m by Everton but took your deal instead. If he was your mate and took the deal because of that, maybe sold you on another few players for fairly low bids and then left his team... That's not on and SM monitoring helps counter that.

Like I said, if it's turned off, fair enough. I don't think the gameworld is gonna explode or go tits up. What I do think is that leaving it on is better than having it off....... Because.......

Finished that off there for ya! Yet again left open ended instead of a clear unarguable example.

Above the Yilmaz deal, now this is where the 'off' comes into play.....

Hand on heart, if I was managing barca and was offered 20 mil (FOR A BARCA (IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THIS) SQUAD PLAYER) or Benzia (SERIOUS POTENTIAL) then what's 20mil? Why would Barca want 20mil? Who could you buy and why buy another squad player? Or keep Benzia in reserve and hope he becomes the player to take up the mantel in years to come?

Can't say this enough, not everyone plays the game the same...... Ask Barca, it took a lot of convincing ON HIS PART to get me to part with Benzia!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was offered 6 (the max) for him twice and wouldn't sell... Wouldn't have sold him for 20 cash either, just happen to really really rate Michu so did what I had to.

Not necessarily. If there is a time limit then yes, it only reaches "difficult", but having looked at the explanation on SM again, it seems as if there may not be a time limit, which of course means that there is a time limit, just a very long one:
    The ATMS 'learns' over time about managers and how fairly they are playing the game. Managers that continually break the rules will find it harder and harder to deal with other managers and more and more of their transfers will be blocked.

The words "over time" suggests a very long time limit and the longer the time limit, the more of an influence the SMFA is happening, which is a case in favour of the SMFA.

That's what I mean though. It's just your own transfers with other managed teams that don't have the option to report simply because why the hell would you want to report your own transfer! I used my own example with Nzonzi as I have no option to report that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

leave it the way it is!

There's a quote coming to mind here but I won't even bother with it, I'd be better off talking to the wall

Anyway, I'm done. I've voted so there's nothing else to be said. I won't be checking back here till it's decided, good luck.

No, keep it On, as is.
    There's a quote coming to mind here but I won't even bother with it, I'd be better off talking to the wall.

And I dismiss things out of hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No, keep it On, as is.
    Specifically about the Yilmaz deal, tupac has summed it up fairly well above....
    Though as the initial frustration subsides, I can understand why the SMFA could potentially have issues with it, considering a 20m cash offer was also on the table, and I do understand the opinion of PPPP...

I'm leaning now towards turning it off for a season on a trial basis to see how things go - as someone has said above, the 'accept' button would still need to be pressed.

I also feel that while some lads on here have developed 'understandings' or 'friendships' with other managers and may look to favour them over others that they have no contact or interaction with, I believe that most lads in here (especially the active posters) would be fair minded and not try to gain what might be interpreted as an unfair advantage...

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I also feel that while some lads on here have developed 'understandings' or 'friendships' with other managers and may look to favour them over others that they have no contact or interaction with, I believe that most lads in here (especially the active posters) would be fair minded and not try to gain what might be interpreted as an unfair advantage...

This was going to be my next argument for turning it off. Not only this, but surely it is the top teams who are at a higher risk of abuse. Almost all (if not actually all) of these top teams are managed by active posters who seem genuine and fair. Therefore, is the probability of something malicious happening not significantly lower as a result.

• Advertisement

No, keep it On, as is.
    This was going to be my next argument for turning it off. Not only this, but surely it is the top teams who are at a higher risk of abuse. Almost all (if not actually all) of these top teams are managed by active posters who seem genuine and fair. Therefore, is the probability of something malicious happening not significantly lower as a result.

Much like last time I made that point that its the smaller teams that will benifit from this which is why I applaud the bigger team managers who have publically supporting this. Nobody can deny the Market has stagnated and it would be easy for the big teams to wash their hands, but no instead its mostly the smaller teams that seem dead against?

Suppose would be no fun if it made sense!

Advertisement