Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some information in regards to the RAS

Options
  • 20-11-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi was wondering if anyone has any information or experience regarding the RAS, I have been accepted for RAS and house has past inspection, I have been told that I should be signing contracts for the 1st of December but the problem is I think my landlord is having 2nd taughts ( up until now he was more eager then I was to get it all sorted) so my questions are 1. If my landlord decides to pull out how long do I have before I have to leave, and can I privalty rent again or does it have to be RAS, and 2. If I can't find a landlord willing to do RAS, does that council have to house me, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

annon26 wrote: »
    Hi was wondering if anyone has any information or experience regarding the RAS, I have been accepted for RAS and house has past inspection, I have been told that I should be signing contracts for the 1st of December but the problem is I think my landlord is having 2nd taughts ( up until now he was more eager then I was to get it all sorted) so my questions are 1. If my landlord decides to pull out how long do I have before I have to leave, and can I privalty rent again or does it have to be RAS, and 2. If I can't find a landlord willing to do RAS, does that council have to house me, thank you

As far as I know, once you've been accepted on to RAS, you have to carry on with the programme (I could be wrong here but I'm not sure you can go back on Rent Allowance again).
    The council will not find you a RAS home; you have to keep looking for a willing Landlord.

IF the Landlord pulls out of the RAS contract, then it is up to the council to find you a suitable property, but this will be a RAS house, not a council house.
    Once you've been accepted onto RAS, you are no longer on the Housing List.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 annon26

Thanks for the reply, at the moment I'm still in receipt of rent allowance, so I don't know how that would work If I have to move, I'm just hoping my landlord wont pull out as most rented houses won't accept rent allowance let alone be willing to do ras 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

annon26 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, at the moment I'm still in receipt of rent allowance, so I don't know how that would work If I have to move, I'm just hoping my landlord wont pull out as most rented houses won't accept rent allowance let alone be willing to do ras 😢

Be very very careful dealing with RAS, case in point here.. I will call her Mary,..Mary on disability benefit & rent allowance for 4yrs, after 2nd yr CWO informs Mary she must apply to go on the RAS list in order to keep getting RA from CWO, Mary completes & hand delivers application to RAS office wood quay Dublin in 2011, 2yrs later (this year) current landlord informs Mary he is selling apartment & will not be renewing tenancy agreement, Mary unable to find new accommodation within the SW rent cap guidelines & also the prevailing "rent allowance not accepted" stipulation by landlords, Mary has no choice but to move back to parents, CWO stops paying RA because Mary back living with parents, Mary makes inquires with RAS about accommodation, RAS say "you are not on the RAS list" & won't except responsibility for lost/misplaced application handed in 2yrs previous, RAS advise Mary to re apply to go on RAS list, Mary re applies & RAS reject application because Mary is not currently in receipt of RA, Mary has been sleeping on parents sofa for 5 months now caught between CWO & RAS, neither give a flying F***.
    MAKE SURE COMING OFF RENT ALLOWANCE DOESN'T RULE YOU OUT OF BEING HOUSED BY RAS IN THE FUTURE

Advertisement