Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative accommodation while heating being fixed?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just want to start a separate thread as this is a separate issue which someone brought up in my thread about notice period on tenancy agreements and RTA.

I just moved in to a new apartment. When I viewed it originally, it was near the end of renovations, and I was told by the reputable estate agency that everything would be in order for when I moved in.

Moved in and the heating is not working. I rang the estate agent and they got the landlord to call out (he was over 2 hours late and didn't bother to call to say he would be late) and he just opened the box the boiler is in and turned it on, but i had already tried that last night and told him that it was not releasing water to the pipes as I could not hear any and no heat came out of radiators). He said to see again this evening and it's not working.
    He is apparently getting a plumber out in the next few days and meanwhile I am stuck in a very cold apartment and can't even shower either as it's connected to that as well.

It's a joke.

If I stay on here, does anyone know if I am legally entitled to alternative accommodation until he gets the heating up and running again?
    I've already woken up with a headache this morning and the night before last I had fan heater on most of the night which is going to cost me a fortune if i keep using it.

What are my rights here?

This has never happened to me before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

pog it wrote: »
    He is apparently getting a plumber out in the next few days

That's a joke tbh. Why not have a plumber out within the hour? I would expect to be accommodated elsewhere until the situation is rectified. In hotel or b&b, etc, together with associated expenses and inconveniences reimbursed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

wyndham wrote: »
    That's a joke tbh. Why not have a plumber out within the hour? I would expect to be accommodated elsewhere until the situation is rectified. In hotel or b&b, etc, together with associated expenses and inconveniences reimbursed to you.

Don't expect someone within the hour but I do expect it to be tomorrow or yes, being accommodated elsewhere if it's any later is reasonable. The landlord basically knows now already that it's not going to work.
    I don't know my legal rights here as regards heating and hot water.

To be honest, going by my tenancy agreement, it looks like I can give 28 days notice and if it's not sorted in next 24 hours I will just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When it happened to me I called out a plumber and kept the invoice. Make sure its a registered one so he can claim back from receipt and they don't need cash in advance.

If the LL refuses to pay you're stuck but it needs done anyway so in that case I would be walking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

When it happened to me I called out a plumber and kept the invoice. Make sure its a registered one so he can claim back from receipt and they don't need cash in advance.

If the LL refuses to pay you're stuck but it needs done anyway so in that case I would be walking out.

I would be happy to do that but from what I've seen of him he would definitely refuse to pay.

Advertisement