Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Non Principle Private Residence Bill

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi

Living abroad at the moment and got some of our post in Dublin sent down by tenant.

One was a letter from NPPR.

When I contacted them to enquire about outstanding bills I got this
    :eek:

2009 paid 2010 fees €1100 2011 €780 2012 €400 2013 €300

Altogether €2600 owing. He told me penalties and charges were incurred.

Obviously I have to go about paying these bills as I'm still getting charged ridiculous fees each month I'm late.

Has this happened to anyone. Genuinely missed reminders as had old email address registered and living away.

Regards

Leon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Happened to my father. Penalties build up by the month I think. Unfortunately, I reckon you just got to pay up. You could try contacting them to work out a payment plan... Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Alas it's your responsibility to keep up the payments, same thing happened to us with one missed year in the middle of a load of paid years, the delay in realising it meant a large bill. Council wanted it all in one go so had to borrow to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's no way out I'm afraid. The penalties are horrendous. I think it's crazy that the penalties are so much greater than standard revenue penalties for late tax filing. They should be broadly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

leon76 wrote: »
    Has this happened to anyone. Genuinely missed reminders as had old email address registered and living away.

Regards

Leon

That's no excuse. You knew it was due nobody needs a reminder and certainly doesn't forget for 4 years and rightly your being hit with massive penalties for being late.

Bet you wouldn't have forgotten if your tenants rent wasn't in your account one month .....

D3PO wrote: »
    That's no excuse. You knew it was due nobody needs a reminder and certainly doesn't forget for 4 years and rightly your being hit with massive penalties for being late.

Bet you wouldn't have forgotten if your tenants rent wasn't in your account one month .....
    To be fair the penalties are unfair in their extremity. The worst loan sharks don't charge those rates of interest. Someone who files late taxes to Revenue for a similar amount pays FAAAAR less in interest and penalties than the NPPR guy. It's still his fault that he forgot to pay and there must be a penalty or nobody would pay anything BUT the punishment should fit the crime as they say. The penalties for the NPPR are simply far too severe.

• Advertisement

the penalties are there as a detterent. I have no issues with them you cannot compare them to tax return penalties as the penalties on a tax return are going to be calculated on a higher amount generally so whilst the percentage may be lower the total penalty will be most likely higher

the point is non payment has costs associated with chasing the debt that has to be covered and rightly a little something on top is made too.

I don't think there is an argument about late penalties being harsh, because its not an issue if you pay on time like your supposed to.

Then why don't we increase the rates for ALL fines etc. How about parking tickets @ €1000 because after all, the offender knew the risks and the fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

Yes it actually is. Do you think I would let them build up to this amount, instead of paying the $200 each year.....

Anyways you've been a great help

murphaph wrote: »
    Then why don't we increase the rates for ALL fines etc. How about parking tickets @ €1000 because after all, the offender knew the risks and the fines?

well actually non payment of a parking fine will mean a court summons and an increased penalty running into the hundreds so your point just fell flat on its arse.

nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

Going to apply for a loan today and pay the fees asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

leon76 wrote: »
    Going to apply for a loan today and pay the fees asap

I know alot of people who have not paid this charge ever. I've repeatedly taken them through the amount that they are likely to owe but they all just turn a blind eye.
    In general it doesn't appear to become an issue until sale of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

I got caught out 2 years ago , but coped it by chance . Only a couple of quid interest charged .
    But my point is they don't email or send a reminder in the post , you just have to remember every year.
    Which is a bit ****ty considering it the least they could do for charging €200!!

well actually non payment of a parking fine will mean a court summons and an increased penalty running into the hundreds so your point just fell flat on its arse.

nice try though.
    Non-payment OF THE FINE ITSELF will result in summons, but why not make the fine itself €1000?

Advertisement