Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utlity subscriptions in an ESB strike

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there for the fun of it....

If the ESB strike goes ahead (inevitable by http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anger-at-christmas-blackout-threat-by-esb-union-leaders-29768794.html#comments), would you be able to withhold payment for some services that you need to power to use.

For example upc or Sky TV, say there are two weeks of an outage due to a strike which is out of your control, can you tell them you are withholding two weeks for your sub because I couldn't use the service it for two weeks. I know they will say it's out of their control and you have probably signed some waiver when you joined up, but would it be worth a shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not a chance. It's out of their control, so they have not breached their contract to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Paulw wrote: »
    Not a chance. It's out of their control, so they have not breached their contract to you.

What if I still have power, but they're not transmitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Thoie wrote: »
    What if I still have power, but they're not transmitting?

If Sky aren't transmitting thats the least of your problems. They've 4 independent satellites and are part of the UK emergency broadcast system (not the right jargon but...). If none of them are transmitting the world is likely to be ending.

Loss of service, as a matter of service, will usually be credited pro rata, see your various contracts.

Bepolite wrote: »
    If Sky aren't transmitting thats the least of your problems. They've 4 independent satellites and are part of the UK emergency broadcast system (not the right jargon but...). If none of them are transmitting the world is likely to be ending.

Loss of service, as a matter of service, will usually be credited pro rata, see your various contracts.

That reminds me of when I was getting my house insurance. After a variety of questions (some of which discussed the location of the house), the rep asked the standard question of whether there was any risk of flooding. I pointed out that if my place was flooded, the rest of Ireland was in a lot of trouble, and insurance would be the least of our worries. He paused, then asked could he have a place in my ark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mike2084 wrote: »

If the ESB strike goes ahead (inevitable by http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anger-at-christmas-blackout-threat-by-esb-union-leaders-29768794.html#comments), would you be able to withhold payment for some services that you need to power to use.

For example upc or Sky TV, say there are two weeks of an outage due to a strike which is out of your control, can you tell them you are withholding two weeks for your sub because I couldn't use the service it for two weeks. I know they will say it's out of their control and you have probably signed some waiver when you joined up, but would it be worth a shot?

You are paying Sky, as your example, to provide the service. It's not their fault if you cannot receive. Very flippant analogy but... Would you request a credit from Sky every time you turned your TV off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and if your tv broke or your computer broke would you also expect for Sky or Eircom not to charge you?

What if the battery's in your sky remote went and you couldn't get to the shop to get more until the next day, would you expect a discount from sky?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely ridiculous question. If the petrol companies were on strike would you pay your car payments?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Absolutely ridiculous question. If the petrol companies were on strike would you pay your car payments?

Point taken, I will admit I was throwing this out mainly in frustration than with any real amount of logical thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

No, because if you are an Electric Ireland customer you've already agreed that you won't do this as the company is not liable.

"We will not have to carry out any obligation under this agreement if we are prevented from doing so by any cause beyond our reasonable control. This includes, but is not limited to, failure or shortage of power supplies, civil unrest, labour shortage or labour dispute, instructions or requests from the Government, an emergency services organisation, or any other competent authority, or legal obligations."

If power generation stopped due to a strike it would more than likely affect all energy suppliers. TV suppliers are unlikely to go on strike at the same time so I'd imagine they'd be more amenable to waiving subs for temporary outages to stop you switching. By a temporary outage, I mean a strike action for a period of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How do we know that at the same time we have no power due to ESB being on strike, that it isn't affecting their supply of services (UPC/Eircom/SKY/etc) to us also? That would mean that since they can't supply us, would we be able to withhold payment for non supply of service?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Appropriate for this thread for all sorts of reasons but the main one is to explain for the 2nd time where Sky's broadcast system is!

<video>

Appropriate for this thread for all sorts of reasons but the main one is to explain for the 2nd time where Sky's broadcast system is!

But what if the ESB disconnect the cables that run to the satellites?

<video>

Aww - that's not the right one. My day is ruined now, ruined. Almost as ruined as if the long space cables were unplugged.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thoie wrote: »
    But what if the ESB disconnect the cables that run to the satellites?

Don't be silly. Those cables run up from the uk.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Soundman wrote: »
    How do we know that at the same time we have no power due to ESB being on strike, that it isn't affecting their supply of services (UPC/Eircom/SKY/etc) to us also? That would mean that since they can't supply us, would we be able to withhold payment for non supply of service?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D:P

For starters anyone that lived through ESB strikes in the 1980's will confirm that the phone lines will work just fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

How long is the planned strike going to last?

I have been researching this afternoon - but can only see its planned from 8am on Monday 16th --- is there a timeframe or is the power going to be off until demands are met?

I'm trying to make arrangements now rather than later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How long is the planned strike going to last?

I have been researching this afternoon - but can only see its planned from 8am on Monday 16th --- is there a timeframe or is the power going to be off until demands are met?

I'm trying to make arrangements now rather than later...

Nobody knows how long any industrial action will last in any company. It is not yet certain there will even be action within ESB. If there is, it is also unknown what form that action will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabaal wrote: »
    For starters anyone that lived through ESB strikes in the 1980's will confirm that the phone lines will work just fine,

Wouldn't be so confident now. The smaller micro-exchanges in use in some areas don't have much battery backup compared to a proper exchange, neither do the eFibre cabinets so its likely you'll lose phone service in a lengthy power cut on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

would the esb not be obliged to cover costs since they are the ones deliberately depriving you of paid for services?

like if an elderly relative died due to the lack of heating, are the ESB liable?

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    would the esb not be obliged to cover costs since they are the ones deliberately depriving you of paid for services?

like if an elderly relative died due to the lack of heating, are the ESB liable?

There are other forms of heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

RangeR wrote: »
    There are other forms of heating.

fair enough i genuinely didn't know if it meant they would be liable, thanks :)

As far as I can remember, they don't guarantee 100% uptime. In fact, a strike is one of their reasons for not doing so. It's all in the connection contract.

Actually, it was already mentioned in the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hoodwinked wrote: »

it would be the striking workers who would be deliberately depriving you of paid for services, not the ESB. But you bring up an interesting concept, should striking workers be liable for consequential loss arising from their (in)action?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    it would be the striking workers who would be deliberately depriving you of paid for services, not the ESB. But you bring up an interesting concept, should striking workers be liable for consequential loss arising from their (in)action?

Won't happen,
    In fairness where would the sillyness end?

ESB Network workers strike, business customers of the three main suppliers would expect
    - business losses to be covered
    - travel costs to be covered if they had tyo travel to an alt location
    - costs for buying and running a generator

Residential users (such as the op) would expect
    - satellite, cable and broadband subscription costs to be refunded
    - subscriptions for services that couldn't use to be covered, Netflix, Spotify, World Of Warcraft etc etc etc
    - costs for buying and running a generator

It would turn into silly season and thats why it won't happen

Advertisement