Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tassimo Vs Dolce Gusto

• 20-11-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Ok, looking for advice
    Im buying a coffee machine for an elderly relative who loves coffee
    Thing is, they wont be able to buy online, only in shops
    so my question is, given the constraints, what would you buy?

Dolce Gusto pods are available in tescos, Machine possibly in currys for 75E

Tassimo machine 78e, for sale in DID and pods available there (not in any shop I know of)

Are tassimo pods available in shops like the dolce gusto ones?

Whats the coffe like from either?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well if you are buying it then just go online and get it shipped to their address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

Getting it isnt the problem, which machine has more accessible pods for someone who cant buy them on line is the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Would say the Dolce Gusto is slightly better taste wise. Slightly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Tassimo and DG pods are available in Tescos.

For Dublin / Wexford based people Dominic Smith Expert Electrical have an offer on the DG machines this Saturday:-

Piccoloa @ €69.99

Mini Me @ €79.99

Genio 2 @ €99.99

I know the pods are not that widely available, but what about spending a small bit more on a Nespresso?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Tassimo and DG pods are available in Tescos.

For Dublin / Wexford based people Dominic Smith Expert Electrical have an offer on the DG machines this Saturday:-

Piccoloa @ €69.99

Mini Me @ €79.99

Genio 2 @ €99.99

I know the pods are not that widely available, but what about spending a small bit more on a Nespresso?
    Ya because Nespresso pods are way easier to get............ If you have a Brown Thomas on your doorstep.
    I can't stand the snobbery in these coffee forums, I see it on a daily basis,
    someone comes on and asks about which pod machine is best and you get the same crowd saying "pay a little extra and get a bean to Cup machine with a good grinder, might cost you a little extra but it's way more rewarding" maybe they just want a quick half decent coffee while running out the door in the morning.
    And now the op has clearly narrowed it down to a Tassimo or a dolce gusto and has done probably because of price or recommendations and all they want to know is which pods are more widely available and online is not an option and then someone comes on and recommends a machine that uses pods which are only available in two bricks and mortar shops in the whole country???????????
    Anyway op, I was only recently researching this myself and my local tesco seems to have 4 varieties of tassimo pods and 3 varieties of dolce gusto so it's totally upto you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Have the Dolce Gusto about two years now, find it excellent. Pods available in Tesco, Dunnes and Superquinn/Supervalu.

Cheers Folks,

So it seems Dolce Gusto are pretty much available in all the big groceries with tassimo available in Tescos.....

As both seem to be on a par at this stage, which would be easier for an elderly person to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Tassimo pods are available in most places now, since September, Dunnes Tesco etc.

Never used a DG, but on a Tassimo, you just stick in the pod and press the button.

Thanks v much folks for all the feedback

Im going to price both machines now and hoepfully order by weekend

Any other feedback on ease of use for elderly folk or taste would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I don't know about the Tassimo, but the things I like about the Dolce Gusto -

- if you are the kind of person that only uses milk when you are making a coffee it will suit you, because the cappuccino and latte type drinks have a coffee pod and a milk pod. So you don't need to buy milk to make them.
    - if you like strong, short espressos then the ristorante and barista pods for the Dolce Gusto are as good as anything you get in a nespresso machine, and you get 16 pods for the price of 10 in the Nespresso strips.
    - only needs to be descaled every 6 months.
    - quick to heat up to operating temperature.
    - you can make coco and chai tea drinks in it too.
    - you can even use it without a pod in it to provide hot water for cup a soups, pot noodles, that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

Ya because Nespresso pods are way easier to get............ If you have a Brown Thomas on your doorstep.
    I can't stand the snobbery in these coffee forums, I see it on a daily basis,
    someone comes on and asks about which pod machine is best and you get the same crowd saying "pay a little extra and get a bean to Cup machine with a good grinder, might cost you a little extra but it's way more rewarding" maybe they just want a quick half decent coffee while running out the door in the morning.
    And now the op has clearly narrowed it down to a Tassimo or a dolce gusto and has done probably because of price or recommendations and all they want to know is which pods are more widely available and online is not an option and then someone comes on and recommends a machine that uses pods which are only available in two bricks and mortar shops in the whole country???????????
    Anyway op, I was only recently researching this myself and my local tesco seems to have 4 varieties of tassimo pods and 3 varieties of dolce gusto so it's totally upto you.

You would want to get some decaf mate or your going to have a stroke!!!!!

Advertisement