Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting retail premises help needed

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently trying to rent a retail unit, wanted to open start of Dec but getting complete run a round from auctioneers, being told not a hope pre 2014, awaiting client instruction etc. Anyone know roughly the turnaround time on vacant units?
    Any help/ advise appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It may well be outside the control of the agent or owner, with so many commercial mortgages in trouble, clearance and agreement to a lease is required from Nama or a bank, who can be notoriously slow in processing approval and paperwork. I am aware of two good sized deals that fell throught due to the lack of progress in getting them to sanction the agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

It may well be outside the control of the agent or owner, with so many commercial mortgages in trouble, clearance and agreement to a lease is required from Nama or a bank, who can be notoriously slow in processing approval and paperwork. I am aware of two good sized deals that fell throught due to the lack of progress in getting them to sanction the agreements.

Hi
    Thats what I've been told, really frustrating. The other issue is no shopping centre can approve a mall promotion without agent approval.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The only response open to you is to have a Plan B. Immediately start looking for an alternative location and inform the agent of that fact. Advise them that you will sign up with the first one that is ready to complete the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

In the same boat.
    Offer was accepted in early August and solicitors are still toing and froing with lease. Shopfit designs are in place and fit out will take a week. Should have been trading since first week in October. Delay is costing me a fortune and worse still is I will have to delay opening till after xmas as opening xmas week is not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Had the same problem when looking for units and did as Peter advised I made the agents aware it was a case of whoever gets there first gets the money it certainly seemed to speed things up.

• Advertisement

Hi all
    Thanks for replies, currently on plan f, been trying xmas markets but must craft and food only though. I have huge sympathy for anyone trying to do a start up in d current climate empty units everywhere and so much nonsense with nAMA etc. The unit I have my heart and pocket set on is sitting empty, it's in walk in condition and a prime location. Any suggestions on a plan g?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Estate agents are a nuisance, an agent i talked to said alot of them wont give your offer/proposal to a landlord as they are hopping the landlord is forced into a sale. We had an agent mess us about before and were lucky enough to contact the landlord and nama who were both happy enough to do a deal. Can you contact the landlord directly? If you can find a premises that is owned by an individual investor rather then a big developer or pension fund they will be easier to deal with and possibly under more financial pressure to get a tennant

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Been there myself...after 4 months of agony,i've decided to give up !
    The unit still stays empty,the owner losing around 3-4K per month every month !
    Not sure where is the justification so that he/she transfer the monthly payment,going from the company's account to some third party !!!

Have fun...

Hi all,
    Thanks for replies, my "smart" phone keeps locking me out of boards. I've tried SC manager again today nothing, agent less than nothing. So i contacted Nama to see can they point me in the right direction re - receiver etc. Unit is literally turn key (sorry thats such a 2007 decription) and i/m literally sitting on stock - think mandela house, peckham!
    I'm close to giving up, but thats not in my nature generally, but so far can't contact organ grinders only their...
    Anyone any idea's on how to be allowed do a mall promotion in SC not having any luck... Again all idea's welcome & feel free to rant I know I am... tks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Pop-up shop not an option..?

• Advertisement

Hi atomico no luck with any agents so no pop up shop, it would be ideal but I can't get my foot in the door, no pun intended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

HairMare wrote: »
    Hi atomico no luck with any agents so no pop up shop, it would be ideal but I can't get my foot in the door, no pun intended

I think the county councils manage the pop-up shops, some of them at least? Maybe you could contact your nearest one anyway, could be a way of finding a way!

Advertisement