Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to 8.1 failed now folders missing

• 20-11-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Any idea if I can restore folders that were lost when I upgraded to 8.1?

Windows.old is missing and with it a few important documents.

During the upgrade process there was a message, "upgrade to 8.1 failed"

Any help very much appreciated. I didn't start the upgrade process. My husband did. He said it said "you can continue your work while upgrading and no work will be lost" so you can imagine how upset we both are.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What error were you given when it came back as failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Soundman wrote: »
    What error were you given when it came back as failed?

I didn't pay a huge amount of attention. I hadn't known my husband had started an upgrade process so I just clicked ok. I think it said simply "8.1 upgrade did not complete"

The upgrade is complete now and windows.old is there now but no sign of my folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's what I think happened:

1. you ran the 8.1 upgrade and selected not to keep your personal files. This option will then not create the windows.old directory. Something failed, so you got the message that the upgrade did not complete

2. you ran the upgrade again and selected yes to keep your personal files. But there were no personal files (as the previous install wiped them). So you have a windows.old directory now but without your personal files

Try use a package like recuva, it is free and might find some / all of your deleted personal files. Good luck and keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Thanks, that sounds helpful. Will try recuva and let you know how I get on.

Advertisement