Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas or Electric Hob ?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

We are getting a new kitchen soon and had an electric cooker, This time we are getting a built in Electric single oven but I want a gas hob as I think its more controllable. We have gas heating anyway so Its not a big deal. What you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

finix wrote: »
    We are getting a new kitchen soon and had an electric cooker, This time we are getting a built in Electric single oven but I want a gas hob as I think its more controllable. We have gas heating anyway so Its not a big deal. What you think ?

Gas all the way. 100%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gas hob, electric oven. The perfect combination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Gas it is ! Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You could consider induction, we went from gas to induction hob this time last year (not with my blessing!) and I love it, just as responsive as gas and much easier to keep clean. Looks extremely sleek too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I hear good things about induction hobs, but you need to be picky about your cookware as not everything will work on it. Given a choice between gas and any other type of electric, it has to be gas - no contest.

• Advertisement

If I couldn't have gas I'd go for induction too - very fast and controllable but as said not all pots work on them. I wonder if they are expensive to run too?
    I imagine they are pricey to fix (and they do break down) and they are pricey to buy. So, really the only advantages of induction over gas is that they are easier to clean and safer from the point of view of fire and burn hazards and gas leaks.
    Having used both, I'd take gas any day - I hate the fiddly controls on the induction hobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From what I can gather they're more energy efficient than both gas and conventional electric, partly because they only heat the part of the pan that is in contact with the 'ring', so no wastage around the sides.

Alun wrote: »
    From what I can gather they're more energy efficient than both gas and conventional electric, partly because they only heat the part of the pan that is in contact with the 'ring', so no wastage around the sides.

Makes sense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is wastage around sides, but also a thick ceramic electric hob needs a lot of energy to get it hot, and afterwards it has retained this heat.

You might have to be careful of some recipes where they say things like "turn off the hob and leave it, as the residual heat will cook it for a long time after". If you have very thin pots and using induction the heat is off instantly, similar to gas.

You can get stand alone small induction hot plates cheap enough.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=60-45-IH21084&brands=TEFAL

these might be handy at christmas if you run out of rings. It also allows you bring it into another room to keep things warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Gas hob and electric oven.

If the power goes you can still use your hob and if your gas runs out* you can still use your oven. Best of both worlds.

*If using bottled gas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement