Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gets you in the Christmas mood?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I'm putting together an advent calendar app that gives people suggestions on how to get into the Christmas mood every day. I'm wondering what gets you guys feeling all Christmassy! For me it's loading up my Spotify Christmas playlist and playing it all day! :)

MOD EDIT: The user PM-ed the mods before opening this thread, and as it's not-for-profit we have no issue with it. Post away and you might get yourselves a nice little christmassy app out of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I heard the kids at the primary school next door to my office practising "Silent Night" on their tin whistles. That's the first Christmas music I've heard yet (apart from ads). That did it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Putting up the decorations always gets me in the christmas mood. The painful, long search through the attic for everything but then throwing on the xmas tunes while putting up the tree and looking at the finished product always gets me feeling festive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Lighting the fire and a Christmas candle.

Doing a bit of late night shopping, and admiring the Christmas windows and street decorations.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lighting a Christmas yankee candle does it for me! Although, not the ones that smell like baking/cakes. They can be a bit sickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Curled up on the couch with my daughter, mugs of hot chocolate with marshmallows, a lovely fire and watching christmas movies on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The first time I see the Coca Cola lorries ad.
    The Christmas lights going up in Dublin city centre.
    First time I see a Christmas tree in someone's window. :)

Snow is falling all around me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cold clear sky nights and frosty mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Looking at old cards and photos and remembering others who have shared one of my 34 Christmases with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I'm feeling Christmassy just reading all these things! :D The app is coming along well, it'll be ready before December 1st anyway. I'm still adding suggestions for getting in the Christmas mood, so if you have any more, I'd love to hear them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We put up our Christmas decorations yesterday. I know it's a bit early, but we agreed to do it this day each year also to mark the anniversary of a loved one's passing (better to do something cheerful for them than sit mourning, we think).

Anyway, we had nice Christmas music playing in the background and by the time we were finished we were in totally festive moods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

fire on....candles lit (it must be the good quality frankensence candle - it has that christmassy smell), freezing out, watching christmas movie snuggled up on the couch.

thats BEFORE I put my decorations up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

baking the christmas cake....mmmm the smell...... trying not to BANG the doors while it is baking in case it sinks. Everybody giving a stir to the cake mixture for good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The carolers on Grafton Street, there is a sort of magicalness, and it can't but help cheer one up.
    Then there's the buying a Christmas tree, always fun, and it's a delicate art, you only get one chance once a year, so all things have to be throughouly considered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CHristmas shopping:)
    Christmas candles,planning christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The song "driving home for Christmas". It just makes me feel all warm inside thinking of everyone heading to wherever they call home to spend time with their family and friends. And when I think of that song I think of car lights as people are driving along and that brings me back to fairy lights which brings me back to my favourite part of Christmas, the lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Christmas music! I love it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The Cold....
    I absolutely love the cold which works well for me going to Sweden on the 1st :)
    The tree, the lights outside, I love all of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, they're great! The app is now out on Android and you can download it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncostyle.onethingchristmas. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to open the first calendar window though. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

choosing the christmas tree and getting that lovely strong christmas tree smell from the tree sitting in the car as im driving home with it while having and all i want or christmas is you blasting out of the radio aswell . bought me tree today and its going up on monday

• Advertisement
Advertisement