Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property bathrooms with windows must also have extractors?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

My parents have a rental property which they let out. The council did an inspection of the property as part of some requirement and advised that the two bathrooms in the property require extractors even though both bathrooms have windows that open (and allow windows to be slightly open in the locked position). It seems crazy that there is a regulation that insists that extractors are also required (I could understand certainly if it was a windowless bathroom but this is not the case).

Is anyone familiar with this requirement and explain the logic of why extractors are required in bathrooms that already have windows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Logic and DCC are something that generally doesnt go in the same sentence. My bathroom was recently renovated and we got an extractor fan installed. But I have noticed mould growing as the extractor isnt enough(and generally isnt enough in a majority of apartments) as I no longer open the window. Most Brazilians tenants I have spoken to, cant understand why all irish bathrooms dont windows as its a regulation in Brazil.

Just follow DCC order. Installing an extractor fan or any fan is easy. Rent a boring drill from a hire shop and within 20 mins you have a hole to the outside. Put in some plastic tubing and it will take an electrician a few mins to put in a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It was Kerry Co Co but thanks anyway. The fact you never open your window makes an extractor more sense but is that what councils account for in making extractors mandatory - they assume some tenants will not bother to open windows no matter how much condensation or mould a room acquires?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's a misinterpretation of the regs IMO. It makes no sense. It's not even in current building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I have been required by Clare Co Co, within the last 3 months, to do the same.

....and I wasn't required to do it following a Fingal Co Co inspection in which I was requested to add a standard vent to outside air in a bedroom that didn't have one (just to highlight that they weren't afraid to ask me to do such things).

It's all down to how you interpret the wording. I don't think the lawmakers ever intended that windowed bathrooms would have to have extractor fans fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ongarboy wrote: »
    My parents have a rental property which they let out. The council did an inspection of the property as part of some requirement and advised that the two bathrooms in the property require extractors even though both bathrooms have windows that open (and allow windows to be slightly open in the locked position). It seems crazy that there is a regulation that insists that extractors are also required (I could understand certainly if it was a windowless bathroom but this is not the case).

Is anyone familiar with this requirement and explain the logic of why extractors are required in bathrooms that already have windows?

Leaving a window open is not sufficient ventilation in a bathroom. There is nothing crazy about it.

Leaving a window open is not sufficient ventilation in a bathroom. There is nothing crazy about it.
    Then why is it not in the building regs? Of course a window is sufficient ventilation. You have your bath/shower then open the window wide for 10mins and air the place.

murphaph wrote: »
    Then why is it not in the building regs? Of course a window is sufficient ventilation. You have your bath/shower then open the window wide for 10mins and air the place.

Its not sufficient. Opening a window isn't the best security either and trickle vents are crap.

Do you never open windows in bedrooms/kitchens either? They need to be aired as well. Do you really keep all your windows locked all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

But if the ventilation is set to go on and off after a delay with the light switch how is an extractor fan sufficient or are you supposed to leave it on all the time?

• Advertisement

Do you never open windows in bedrooms/kitchens either? They need to be aired as well. Do you really keep all your windows locked all the time?

I don't ever need to open my windows for ventilation as I have a mhrv system. You shouldn't have to rely on opening windows for ventilation though, in rooms with water sources such as kitchens and bathrooms an open window wont be enough. Even in a bedroom you'll probably run into issues. Just take a look on this forum and see how many threads about mould in houses involve a lack of vents.
    But if the ventilation is set to go on and off after a delay with the light switch how is an extractor fan sufficient or are you supposed to leave it on all the time?

It should come on when you turn the light on (and shower also) and stay on for a time after the light goes off, there should also be a way to turn it on manually - some will have booster switches you can press when you are taking a shower etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Could help to explain why tenants seem to have a problem with mould.

http://www.co2online.de/fileadmin/co2/Multimedia/Infografiken/Gebaeudebelueftung.jpg

These are the German government guidelines on airing residential properties. It's easy to understand as it's in graphical form. They recommend, for example, to open all windows WIDE for 5 mins 4 times a day in deepest winter. It gets a LOT colder here in Germany than in Ireland of course, so "it's cold outside" is no excuse for not properly airing.

Irish people often haven't got a clue for some reason and then wonder why they have mould.

http://www.co2online.de/fileadmin/co2/Multimedia/Infografiken/Gebaeudebelueftung.jpg

These are the German government guidelines on airing residential properties. It's easy to understand as it's in graphical form. They recommend, for example, to open all windows WIDE for 5 mins 4 times a day in deepest winter. It gets a LOT colder here in Germany than in Ireland of course, so "it's cold outside" is no excuse for not properly airing.

Irish people often haven't got a clue for some reason and then wonder why they have mould.

That doc is nothing to do with mould prevention though, its to prevent carbon dioxide buildup.

That doc is nothing to do with mould prevention though, its to prevent carbon dioxide buildup.
    How do you figure that?

How do you figure that?

Its off co2online.de and is talking about shock-ventilation, which basically means to open all the windows at once to increase air exchange and minimise heat loss.

c02online.de is an energy saving website. It has nothing to do with the gas but rather energy efficiency (I'm sure you've heard of your carbon footprint?).

I can assure you (as someone who speaks German daily) that the graphic is very much about mould prevention.

It's more "Shock-airing" than "Shock-ventilation".

c02online.de is an energy saving website. It has nothing to do with the gas but rather energy efficiency (I'm sure you've heard of your carbon footprint?).

I can assure you (as someone who speaks German daily) that the graphic is very much about mould prevention.

It's more "Shock-airing" than "Shock-ventilation".

You are correct on the site ethos, my bad. Big difference between shock ventilation and opening the bathroom window for 5 minutes though - just opening one window isnt much use tbh. Both methods are reliant on tenants doing it though - I'd rather not rely on tenants myself.

http://www.virgil.at/index.php?id=332&type=1

An Austrian guide in English.

German landlords rely on their tenants to air properly and make them pay for mould caused by a failure to air. In Ireland the tenant leaves the windows closed all year, dries clothes in the living room and wonders why he has mould. It beggars belief really. The problem is not the building, but the occupant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

However, I think the Germans tend to keep the interior of their houses warmer than the Irish do, in winter. They don't let the cold get into the walls and floors.

• Advertisement

Well I don't know about that but energy costs are higher in Germany so if Germans heat more it's not because it's cheaper than Ireland.

Advertisement