Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with recent experience with US airways?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭

So I impulsively booked flights home to dublin from Vegas and back in early December with US Airways. It was cheap so I thought it was a great deal, however having read reviews online it seems they are the worst airline ever with delays,overbooking flights, poor customer service and old planes.

I'm a bit worried because I'll be travelling alone with my 23 month old daughter so the last thing I need is delays or baggage going missing.

We will be travelling via Philadelphia. Has anyone used this route recently and had a positive experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They are fine. They may not have some of the frills (such as individual tellys in the seat in front of you) as other airlines, but in general, they are perfectly fine for relatively low cost, international travel. Overbooking happens with all airlines, not just United. If getting bumped is a worry for you, try to check in and get to the airport extra early. There is more a chance of your being told that they don't have a seat for you, if you show up with at the last minute. Your having a small child with you should also reduce the chances of getting bumped due to over bookings.

Phily is a great airport to connect through. It is relatively small compared to the mega airports such as JFK or O'Hare. You won't have to walk as far to get your connecting flight, which can only be a good thing with a small child in tow. Delays happen with all airlines and if any thing happens to your bags, that is generally the fault of the airport, not the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thanks for that. I'm not too bothered about the lack of personal TV although it would be great if there was a power socket to charge my phone/toddler entertainment system :(

Glad to hear it isn't too far to connect. I only have 2 hours between flights on the way back so thought that might be cutting it a bit close if there were any delays. At least I won't have to walk miles to get there.

I guess all the people who have average experiences don't go online to post about it so maybe the reviews are a bit skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I've flown with them about 20 times Philly to Ireland and never had an issue.

Also Philly airport has two little play areas in Terminal A East and Terminal D. There is not much to them but they are perfect for small kids to stretch their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

The one thing that can make a difference (especially if travelling with a kid) is that domestic flights often have no food service at all - or none unless you order it in advance. Think this is true of US Air. Got caught out on a flight from NJ<->SF when USAir took over Continental.

In place of a power outlet - an external battery is well worth the investment - generally will power anything that can charge from a usb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Dont mean to be a wet blanket, but Phillie is notorious for losing peoples bags. Make sure you have ALL your neccessities in hand luggage

One other thing, just happened to me 3 weeks ago in Phillie. I went through security and walked down to the gate. When I got to where I thought the gate was I had to actually catch a bus across to terminal F. No line going over to F, but there was one hell of a line waiting for the bus to get back to the main terminal.

The terminal was absolutely spectacular, but I would have left extra time if I had known about the extra step

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/20131103_Eating_options_highlight_Philadelphia_International_s_revamped_Terminal_F.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

pgmcpq wrote: »
    The one thing that can make a difference (especially if travelling with a kid) is that domestic flights often have no food service at all - or none unless you order it in advance. Think this is true of US Air. Got caught out on a flight from NJ<->SF when USAir took over Continental.

It was actually United that took over Continental :)

I have connected through PHL many times and 2 hours would be plenty of time considering you have already pre-Cleared in Dublin and won't have to pick up your bags until LAS. Food is basic entertainment even more so.

Plenty of places to pick up some food airside in PHL before boarding the domestic flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

It was actually United that took over Continental :).

Yikes - true enough. Point remains however.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Flew with them in the summer it was awful tbh , ran out of the chicken dish and gave me vegetarian the TVs in the middle of the aisles was hard to be entertained in a long haul flight It felt like Ryanair. Never again with them.

Flew with them in the summer it was awful tbh , ran out of the chicken dish and gave me vegetarian the TVs in the middle of the aisles was hard to be entertained in a long haul flight It felt like Ryanair. Never again with them.

I've requested the vegetarian option anyway as sometimes the meat you get on flights is a bit dodgy. I was more worried about delays and baggage issues.

I was surprised to find they don't have individual tvs but with a toddler I won't get to watch any movies anyway :( I'll make sure my phone is loaded with games and tv shows. It does seem a bit like long haul ryanair though! I guess that's why it's cheap. We flew over with Virgin and had no complaints at all. I think I'll pay the extra for them next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

In this day and age dont rely on the airlines to feed you and entertain you.

Most big Airports now have excellent restraunts where you can eat before you board the plane. Eg Boston Logan has a Legal Sea Food and a Jerry Remys sports bar.

Id prefer to have my flight for $100/$200 cheaper and have my own choice of movie (ipad) and meal (in the terminal) than have some Aer Lingus battle axe fire a reheated frozen pile of crap onto my tray and then be subjected to some crap movie that I would never pay to watch in a million years

All of the airports now have free wireless, so you can download a movie while youre hanging around the gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Many do, but far from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My wife has been up as far as Chairman's Preferred status with US Airways, so we were pretty loyal.

However they have now removed all power of discretion on anything from ground staff. Got a problem - email (they don't take calls) customer service.

My elderly parents were literally abandoned in London by US Air, here's a snippet of the correspondence.
    "Sat 8th Sept 2012 we checked in at US Airways LGW at 7am, there were only 3 desks open and a long queue and wait to check in, we went to the departure lounge for boarding. The flight was shown as two hours late on the departure board, then followed a long series of updated delays up to seven hours. I eventually went to the desk and the ground staff could not say what was wrong with the aircraft but gave me two meal vouchers, eventually they cancelled the flight at 4pm and we told that we were going to the Sofitel hotel, there then followed a scramble to get our luggage without assistance (we are both elderly) and a further rush to the ground floor area. This greatly distressed my wife, who doesn't walk too well, and we had no idea where we were going and did not want to lose the group. We waited in a large group with nowhere for us to sit for a 45 mins. My wife was getting very tired and saw Carol the station manager standing talking on a mobile phone because arrangements had not yet been made for transportation to the hotel. Most of the people by now were very angry. I spoke to Carol as my wife was close to passing out and was grateful that she then she arranged cart transport to the hotel.

After dinner we were horrified to find a letter from US Airways informing us that there would be no flight the next day, contrary to what we had been told that the flight would take place tomorrow at 10am. We were informed that we should contact US Airways but were unable to do so on the number that we were given. Fortunately, we were able to contact our son - who was furious that it appeared we had been abandoned at the hotel to make our own arrangements for travel. He contacted US Airways in the US and was suprised to be told that Virgin would not carry his parents ex-LGW and that the only option was to fly from LHR with United. He asked about making arrangements, but as customers services could not book a transfer, he was left to to call the UK at his own expense to arrange a taxi transfer at a cost to us of 80 GBP."

US Airways customer service promised a refund of the 80 quid, but when we contacted them later they denied all knowledge and said the agent had no authority to repay this.

I had to rearrange their flights myself.

It took me five emails and two hours on the phone with customer services escalating through 4 levels to get a simple upgrade for them as an apology.

Eventually US Air gave them a $150 voucher as an apology. Useless.

I'd avoid them myself, they have gone badly downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So I impulsively booked flights home to dublin from Vegas and back in early December with US Airways. It was cheap so I thought it was a great deal, however having read reviews online it seems they are the worst airline ever with delays,overbooking flights, poor customer service and old planes.

I'm a bit worried because I'll be travelling alone with my 23 month old daughter so the last thing I need is delays or baggage going missing.

We will be travelling via Philadelphia. Has anyone used this route recently and had a positive experience?

YOu are travelling very LONG haul with a near two year old.

You have just elected a very long stretch of hell flying with US Air and a small child.

I did it once, I will never ever ever fly them ever again. And that was from the East Coast. Absolutely no way from the west coast with a small child.

Oh dear god you have my sympathies of you go through with this.

YOu are travelling very LONG haul with a near two year old.

You have just elected a very long stretch of hell flying with US Air and a small child.

I did it once, I will never ever ever fly them ever again. And that was from the East Coast. Absolutely no way from the west coast with a small child.

Oh dear god you have my sympathies of you go through with this.

What happened to make it such a bad experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

They do have a crappy reputation but they all suck now anyway.

Well at least you can get out in Philly. And maybe youll get bumped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've flown with the 3 times in total

their a330 from Madrid -> Philly....business class and amazing
    a330 from Madrid -> Philly in economy...ok seat back tv's and service was ok, but there was a severe lack of space
    Boeing 757 to Dublin....ugh...thank goodness we were flying back another route
    Boeing 757 Philly -> san francisco....business class...service was OK, but it was nothing special.

If you can afford to pay extra to get a premium economy seat...do

Crowded and cramped plane. Very uncomfortable to start. Plus I had a very small baby with me and we had to sit in he back by the engines, which were incredibly loud. I had a stopover in Philly during which I had a phenomenal delay. And on the plane, the movies are shown on drop downs from the ceiling in the middle of the aisles so you can't really snooze.

Now with a baby Aer Lingus are sooo super! They will help you, like if you need to go the bathroom, they'll sit with the baby, or get some extra things for the child to make you more comfortable, or move you to where the Che can stretch out or a better seat. USAIR no way.

I might put up with it if it were on my own and a very cheap flight, but no way with a kid.

Crowded and cramped plane. Very uncomfortable to start. Plus I had a very small baby with me and we had to sit in he back by the engines, which were incredibly loud. I had a stopover in Philly during which I had a phenomenal delay. And on the plane, the movies are shown on drop downs from the ceiling in the middle of the aisles so you can't really snooze.

Now with a baby Aer Lingus are sooo super! They will help you, like if you need to go the bathroom, they'll sit with the baby, or get some extra things for the child to make you more comfortable, or move you to where the Che can stretch out or a better seat. USAIR no way.

I might put up with it if it were on my own and a very cheap flight, but no way with a kid.

I'm going to try to upgrade if I can.

I'm glad I found all this out before flying,at least I know what to expect!

I'm going to try to upgrade if I can.

I'm glad I found all this out before flying,at least I know what to expect!

Especially if you are doing a long haul from the west coast. I travelled BA long hall and they are better than US air and I still wish I did an upgrade. That is one very long trip with a small child.

I remember at one point travelling transatlantic when my little one was around that age and we were up and down the aisles up and down up and down constantly. It felt like like whole trip.

No naps either.

Especially if you are doing a long haul from the west coast. I travelled BA long hall and they are better than US air and I still wish I did an upgrade. That is one very long trip with a small child.

I remember at one point travelling transatlantic when my little one was around that age and we were up and down the aisles up and down up and down constantly. It felt like like whole trip.

No naps either.

What have I let myself in for?! The Philly to dublin leg is overnight so I'm hoping my daughter will sleep. I know I won't though. She hardly sat down on the flight here but we had the extra legroom seats behind the galley so there was lots of space for her to play on the floor. I've booked an aisle seat on all the flights anyway so we can get in and out easily.

I don't think I can get out of it now so let's hope an upgrade is available!

• Advertisement

What have I let myself in for?! The Philly to dublin leg is overnight so I'm hoping my daughter will sleep. I know I won't though. She hardly sat down on the flight here but we had the extra legroom seats behind the galley so there was lots of space for her to play on the floor. I've booked an aisle seat on all the flights anyway so we can get in and out easily.

I don't think I can get out of it now so let's hope an upgrade is available!

I would not bet on her sleeping, but she might if you are lucky. I remember one A-L flight where none of the tots were sleeping, it was like an overnight creche. Mine conked out during landing. Not fun. And then I had to wake him up. WAHHHHH!!!!

Did you fly US air coming over to the US?

They didn't give me galley seats even with a young baby. He was in my arms for six hours.

I would not bet on her sleeping, but she might if you are lucky. I remember one A-L flight where none of the tots were sleeping, it was like an overnight creche. Mine conked out during landing. Not fun. And then I had to wake him up. WAHHHHH!!!!

Did you fly US air coming over to the US?

They didn't give me galley seats even with a young baby. He was in my arms for six hours.

No we flew with Virgin from gatwick on the way over. They were very helpful and actually changed our seats to the bulkhead ones without us asking.

We've an early start that day so I'd say she will sleep. That may be just wishful thinking though.

Well I'm back in the states now and although the trip wasn't bad at all , (no delays or baggage issues) I don't think I'd fly with them again. The staff just don't care. On the plane you don't see them between the food services. They just sit in the back. The toilets aren't cleaned. Once I was walking my daughter up the aisle to the toilet and she went too far and I was quite rudely told to turn around and go back.

On the way back I upgraded to envoy class which was marginally better. The seats and cabin though were quite outdated and not what you would expect from a so called business class. Luckily it was quite cheap to upgrade and worth it for the space alone as the 3-3 seat configuration can feel a bit cramped with a small child.

So if you only care abut getting from a to b at the cheapest price then they are fine. It's the attitude of the staff that totally put me off and I wouldn't give them my money again. Maybe the merger with American Airlines will improve things but I won't be finding out!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Hi,
    I looked up US Airways posts as I'm thinking of booking DUB-PHL in June.
    It'll be an A330-200 by then. Does anyone know if the facilities are better, like personal seat-back video?
    Thanks!
    /M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

I'd personally avoid US Airways. The planes are old and don't have personal TVs at the back of the seats. Yes, they are usually the cheapest but for an extra €20 you can book with Delta or Aer Lingus. Unless you enjoy straining your neck for 7 hours to watch Friends re-runs on an old CRT monitor in the centre of the aisle, avoid US Airways.

US Airways: for people who know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Manuel wrote: »
    Hi,
    I looked up US Airways posts as I'm thinking of booking DUB-PHL in June.
    It'll be an A330-200 by then. Does anyone know if the facilities are better, like personal seat-back video?
    Thanks!
    /M.
    Yup
    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A330-200_B.php

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I flew last September with them to orlando. They were approx €150pp cheaper than anyone else at the time. Anyway, my advice is eat a good meal before you leave as the plane food is particularly bad. As for the tv situation, I just put a few movies on the iPad and brought a book. They also give a very large baggage allowance, 23kg check in and 18kg carry on. I'd fly with them again if they were the cheapest option.

Advertisement