Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in France & Spain

• 21-11-2013 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭

Heading to Spain early December, and having never driven there before I'm wondering if anyone can share any insights? Unfortunately there won't be much sight-seeing along the way as its going to be a quick turnaround. While we're heading down without the caravan, I couldn't think of a better section for my questions than those who probably visit there with more frequency.

I've heard that its now mandatory to carry your own breathalyser in France now?
    Is it true that the fuel is a whole lot cheaper in the towns compared to motorway services? Is it actually worth de-touring?
    I drive a 4x4, and due to the higher positioning of the headlights I tend to drive with my front fogs on all the time. They're correctly focussed and I find them very handy for lighting up the ground immediately in front of the vehicle and also the ditches, but am I likely to attract unwanted attention from the law if I try this in France/Spain?
    I'm seeing conflicting information as to what the speed limit actually is - can anyone tell me whether its 120 or 130km/h?
    We're heading for Seville, hoping to get there pretty fast so not booking lodgings for the way down. If it comes to it and we need a few hours sleep are we likely to be allowed inflate an air matress in the back of the jeep and get a few hours sleep in a motorway services?

In preparation for the journey I've got the vehicle booked in for a thorough service and I've been gathering some essential bits & pieces - warning triangles, spare bulbs. Can anyone tell me where I'll get the headlight beam deflectors or should I just wait till we land in France and buy them at the first service-station we come across?

Any help appreciated folks as its 7 years since I last drove in France, and I've never driven in Spain or Portugal (never even been before :o).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

recent thread on driving to spain in Travel fourm with a lot of the answers :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057012705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Loads of driving related info here >> http://about-france.com/travel.htm

I'd advise getting the head light convertors before leaving Ireland, no point creating unneccasary delays if the police are checking vehicles leaving the port. They're cheap enough anyway>> http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=185157

I don't think anybody would stop you from having a nap in a service station but just be aware that they have a reputation of not being the safest places to sleep, especially at night. I'd recommend heading into a little town and park somewhere well lit.
    I think it may be advisable to get a bail bond from your insurance company for driving in Spain, worth checking out.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭w124man

You need a first aid kit, hi viz jackets for everyone in the vehicle, two breathalysers, two warning triangles and beam deflectors all of which can be bought in Halfords

Driving with your fog lights on in conditions other than fog or falling snow is illegal in ALL European countries including Ireland - its clearly written in the Rules of the Road book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

w124man wrote: »
    Driving with your fog lights on in conditions other than fog or falling snow is illegal in ALL European countries including Ireland - its clearly written in the Rules of the Road book!
    Well aware of that, thanks. Personally I find it safer, so until someone in authority tells me to stop then I'll continue to do so. Obviously I'm not bothering or blinding anyone so I fail to see the issue. I'm sure that will rub plenty the wrong way, but I'm used to it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

good luck with your trip ! breathalyser kits were never made legally enforced in france, a problem with enforcing that. over night sleeping in cars can be pretty chilly so carry blankets, usually no bother on pull in places on the motorway stops, just stay in a well lit area.usually in the west of france you wouldn't have any bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Top Dog wrote: »
    Well aware of that, thanks. Personally I find it safer, so until someone in authority tells me to stop then I'll continue to do so. Obviously I'm not bothering or blinding anyone so I fail to see the issue. I'm sure that will rub plenty the wrong way, but I'm used to it at this stage.
    Police in France or Spain will not tell you to stop using your fog lights, they'll simply fine you on the spot.

As regards a stopover might consider Aires de France, see

http://www.airetoday.co.uk/guide.html as one source

and fuel is significantly cheaper in the big supermarkets on the outskirts of most towns - particularly in France - Carrefour, E LeClerc Super U etc see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supermarket_chains_in_France

Its also possible to park overnight in many of these supermarket car parks.

Will I be limited to motorway service stations in the middle of the night or are some of the supermarkets 24hr too?

Will I be limited to motorway service stations in the middle of the night or are some of the supermarkets 24hr too?

Lots of them are 24 hr with just pumps with no shop. Just pop your card in and follow the instructions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I hate people who come on a public forum asking for help and advice and are clearly a selfish so and so.

Driven in France and Spain loads of times.

Also often blinded when driving especially in he mx 5 by selfish 4x4 drivers with their properly focused fogs on.

So good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

on most petrol pumps now there is an option to press the english button .... sleeping over for me the safest place if you are coming off the motorway in france is to get a couple of kilometres down the road from it and find a quiet village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Drove to SE coast of France in sept in my X5,there's an adjuster on the back of the headlights to adjust beam for continent driving. Google it and it and shud be the same on most jeeps I presume. I drove from roscoff. Speed limits vary depending on weather, clearly marked on motorways. Fuel is significantly cheaper in supermarkets 10/15c a litre. Any motorway fuel stop personally I wouldn't like to stay over night u can stay in some cheap campsites for as little as €20 for a site, check ur route. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Cheap overnight stop if travelling by car.

http://www.hotelf1.com

Inexpensive, safe. Have used them on rugby trips. See lots of people staying with them who are breaking a journey across/through France. Usually just outside major towns and cities. Have a restaurant of some sort next door.

Survived it :D

Want to say thanks for all the helpful posts. :cool:

Ended up buying most of our fuel at motorway stops as it saved time which turned out to be very precious over the week. With a couple of fills in towns the average price per litre worked out at €1.42 (and that calculation includes the €1.49/l I paid when filling up before leaving). Motorway stops went as low as €1.355/l just north of San Sebastian which I didn't think was too bad at all :)

Ended up sleeping in the vehicle twice - both in Aire's. First time was only for 2.5hrs, second time was about 5hrs. Both times in amongst a heap of trucks and no hassle at all. Bit cold (-4 for the second one :eek: ) but other than that twas grand.

Definitely been an adventure and an education, but would do it again with a bit better homework next time (hadn't factored in the €140 total paid on tolls for example, and hadn't properly accounted for the higher fuel consumption that came with the higher speed limits :o ).

So thanks again for the input folks :)

Advertisement