Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog going for liver biopsy

• 21-11-2013 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Brought my 3 year old Golden to vet last week as he was drinking a lot. They did blood tests and liver came back abnormal so now he is going to cork for a liver biopsy as they can't do it where I am (wexford). Just got this news yesterday evening and the vet didn't give much away. Aren't biopsies to test for cancer? He hasn't changed in his behaviour, he is still happy and playful and a pure joy. No sign of anything wrong and the drinking a lot has stopped.
    I will call vet later and ask some straight questions but I am so worried and upset. I am a worrier by nature, has anyone else had experience of this?
    Thank you,
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I wish I could reply to your question, but I don't know anymore than you do.

However, I really hope your dog is okay. :)

If he is as playful as ever, take it as a sign that he is not too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You poor thing, its torture when a beloved pet may be ill. Best thing to do is talk to your vet again to get answers to your concerns - its horrible being so worried - now that you are over the shock during the visit, you will be able to ask the vet all you need to know and have clarification. If tests came back abnormal, its best to have things checked out. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I really can't help with information or anything but here...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6334-1383602156-10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I would like to look at it as biopsies are to RULE OUT cancer! Semantics, I know, but hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Hi Balfro, I understand how you are feeling, one of my girls had an abnormal liver function result a few years ago. Rather than going straight for a biopsy we opted for an ultra sound scan first.
    The scan showed she had a smaller than normal liver and based on that we decided not to do the biopsy. We lost her a few months later but that was unrelated to her liver.

I would also add that it is not just cancer they are checking for with a biopsy - there is a host of liver ailments that are checked for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement