Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.................Catweazle

Options
  • 21-11-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

We'll keep it Whest for next week

Kicking it off with

How many tri-suits do you have? How many of them currently fit?
    How many times did you get lost on holidays last year?
    Are you really going to do Humbert this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Do you even own a bike? If so, why do you never cycle it outside? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Toughest session to get yourself motivated for?
    Biggest achievement in tri & life so far?
    Nidge or Frano?
    Any plans to go long, i know you played with the idea a few times?
    Are you afraid of the rain?
    Is it true that you boys out whest like sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Green&Red wrote: »
    We'll keep it Whest for next week

Kicking it off with

How many tri-suits do you have? How many of them currently fit?
    How many times did you get lost on holidays last year?
    Are you really going to do Humbert this year?

Good nothing too technical for me so far let's keep it that way ;)

I have three suits, a medium Aldi one for the rare brick run in training, a 2 piece k- Swiss bought in TK maxx in large buts it's smaller than the Aldi one and a club trisuit in large. The only one that fits at this stage is the club suit however I haven't joined the club last year as I can never make training so I can't wear it

I got lost twice last year, out of three cycles that's not great I suppose, writing the towns down after a bottle of wine the night before isn't great planning

The Humbert is unlikely it's been moved back to late July, we are lucky to have a rich and generous uncle who gives us his place in the Algarve for a few weeks each year. he's a wine distributor and with the Galway races being his busiest week we usually go late July to not get in his way. It's a pity as it's my favourite race!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What bikes do you own?
    Which is your favourite?
    Dog or cat person?
    How tall are you?
    Best race ever and why?
    Which boardsie would you choose to go on holiday with?

BTH wrote: »
    Do you even own a bike? If so, why do you never cycle it outside? :P

Ooooof I have two bikes!

A red giant TCR aluminium, I was lucky and bought it in ebay uk for 500 sterling he wasn't best pleased when I bought it as he didn't want to post to Ireland. But rather than put it up again he gave it to me, great bargain all ultegra parts. I had been shafted a few weeks earlier on a purchase which PayPal refunded me so i got lucky as the other bike wasn't as high specced

The pussywagon a B2 TT bike, I was so focused on buying online again that I didn't even check out the local shops. I bumped into Nigel in the local supermarket and he mentioned he had a 2nd hand B2 well within my budget in the shop. It was a great deal compared to what I was looking at online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

If you had to choose only one of swim, bike or run that you could do for the rest or your life, which would it be?

Volcanoes or earthquakes-which are scarier?

Toughest session to get yourself motivated for?
    Biggest achievement in tri & life so far?
    Nidge or Frano?
    Any plans to go long, i know you played with the idea a few times?
    Are you afraid of the rain?
    Is it true that you boys out whest like sheep?

I hate those hard repeat sessions Eg 5 x 1k off 4 min etc, it usually has me in a bad mood all morning thinking about what's to come later.

In tri I suppose just being still at it 5 years later, the main thing I get out of it is that it keeps me off the fags, keeps a somewhat control of my weight and I enjoy the training. In life I suppose it's my kids, I am very proud of them - I worry that I will turn into these parents I used to laugh at back in my GAA days that would be roaring and screaming at their kids during a match

Never watched love hate

Yes I had hoped to do it this summer for the 40th but the 2nd child scuppered that, I had initially broached the subject over dinner the night before Frankfurt entries and after some persuasion I had been given the all clear, I decided that telling her i needed to pay the 500+ entry the following morning was a bridge too far. I am glad I didn't enter though, I am finding the 2nd kid has made training much more difficult. Hopefully 2015 will be the year but probably not Frankfurt.

I like the rain for running but I did three hours of misery cycling in rain a few years back and it has scarred me for life

Coming from Galway City I would had no real experience with sheep, however the back garden has a farm behind it so plenty of sheep and cows these days. The young lad loves them which makes me secretly fear I am rearing a future redneck

Oryx wrote: »
    What bikes do you own?
    Which is your favourite?
    Dog or cat person?
    How tall are you?
    Best race ever and why?
    Which boardsie would you choose to go on holiday with?

Bike question answered previously - I hate both bikes equally. I probably have more of a fondness for the road bike with its compact gearing but I do enjoy the TT bike on a flat with a nice tailwind

I can't stand cats, love dogs though, I have been pushing for a dog for a few years but she won't let one into the house so I feel what's the point of getting one

5'10

Probably triburgh 2 years ago, previous to that I had been doing mostly ns races or big races and I am a mid packer. Triburgh was a small local field and coming up to the 1/2 way point on the bike I realised I was in 10th place. Fighting for 235th place doesn't have quite the Same motivation so I got in a real battle with another lad on the run and lost out in a sprint finish for a 5th place finish, I came 7th in the end but I did beat the top female finisher who always handed me my ass previously

I would pick two ronanmac and bth - I would look like a bronzed Adonis beside the two sunburnt ginger sticks

MrCreosote wrote: »
    If you had to choose only one of swim, bike or run that you could do for the rest or your life, which would it be?

Volcanoes or earthquakes-which are scarier?

The favourite seems to be whatever I am going well at the time but longterm I suppose it would have to be the run. I would be happy to cross off some marathons like the big sur or boston or eventually go for a sub 3 but I wouldn't be so excited about cycling some of the big mountain passes or distance swimming.

Neither I can't remember a good movie about either - I suppose earthquakes, I wouldn't like to have the building shaking around me and then another long wait to see if their are any tsunamis to come

catweazle wrote: »

I would pick two ronanmac and bth - I would look like a bronzed Adonis beside the two sunburnt ginger sticks

Banned: Personal abuse

:pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What do you think your chances are of beating your club / boards smack talking nemisis over duathlon or triathlon races in 2014?
    Will you go to Kinvara again for the half?
    How is your running going at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Do you really think you will do an IM in 2015?
    Have you the appetite for the long bikes that will be required?
    Will you get the permission for them? :D
    What are your plans for the 2014 season?
    Who will be your main nemesis for 2014?
    Pedal on Sunday?

What do you think your chances are of beating your club / boards smack talking nemisis over duathlon or triathlon races in 2014?
    Will you go to Kinvara again for the half?
    How is your running going at the moment?

My best chance is a triathlon obviously, probably a sprint. I would need two minutes lead out of the water, 20k would give you less chance to drill it in the cycle and an auld man like yourself wouldn't even have the bones warmed up after 5k. For sworn enemies it doesn't take us much to build a rivalry - have we only ever raced once :D

If you are paying again I would be honoured to pace you to a sub 1.35 in Kinvara this time

Terrible - the plantar is still at me 6 months later, it's only a very slight niggle and doesn't affect me but with me only running approx 25k a week I worry what it will be like when I try and step it up

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

How did you get into triathlon?

How do you fit training in around family+work?

Training by numbers/feel?

Last meal on earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    If you are paying again I would be honoured to pace you to a sub 1.35 in Kinvara this time

Be happy to have you as a guest on the 1:30 pacing team....

if you're able for it, that is :D

(Talk to me privately about that PF issue, I'll get the juju man to sort you)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was going to ask what you're doing to address this? Lower mileage isn't working so are you proactively trying to resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi cw! :D
    What's the most expensive item you've ever ordered without your wife's knowledge?
    Wine - red or white?
    Music - loud or soft?
    Dance - slow or fast?
    Most embarrassing moment ever?
    What do you hate the most about cycling with pgibbo??
    Any pre-race rituals or superstitions?
    Give me your best hope for a race blow by blow when you and I go head to head and long in 2015? :(<pouts at possibility of cw not going long in 2015>

pgibbo wrote: »
    Do you really think you will do an IM in 2015?
    Have you the appetite for the long bikes that will be required?
    Will you get the permission for them? :Dt year
    What are your plans for the 2014 season?
    Who will be your main nemesis for 2014?
    Pedal on Sunday?

I don't know to be honest - I hope to! I am the youngest of 5 kids and the joint family 40th cash presents before me have been pretty decent. Mrs C will be tapped up early summer next year and that is when I need to address it. If I am going well it will be an ironman, running well it might be a boston marathon attempt if I get the qualifying time or going terrible probably a slot in the lads 2015 ski holiday

The big imponderable - the bike has always been useless for me, I would hope the pressure of a future 180k might get me addressing it and finally put the work in

I am lucky, the wife has seen me as a fat, lazy, hungover smoker in our earlier days, she is more than happy to see me going out training, as long as she gets her 90 minute daily walk in which comes first she will usually be happy to work an hour or two in for me. She is not as big a fan of the 3 hour weekend cycle but as you well know that only happens once a year 3 weeks before the Humbert challenge

The plan is a late start at this stage, Anna our youngest was in special care for 8 weeks so the feeding every three hours is ingrained into her. Even with bottle top ups she will still wake up for a small nuzzle so plenty of tiredness in the house. I don't think an early season A race suits me anyways both years I did it I failed miserably to hold that form through the summer. So all going well, Kilkee and a rare outing after July to perhaps have a go at kenmare late august, it's the weekend of the 40th so hopefully avoids any potential party for me

I don't race enough anymore to have one and any I had have either left the sport or are too good for me now :(

Pedal on Sunday - lol yes but only if you can leave it a later than you normally go out at, part of my deal is that I will need to give her a break at weekends before I can get out

How did you get into triathlon?

How do you fit training in around family+work?

Training by numbers/feel?

Last meal on earth?

I was sitting down one morning in lahinch beach with my heads in my hands dreading day 2 of a stag. I had my own personal Ursula Andrews Dr No experience when I saw wading through the water towards me an old school friend of mine. He was always a handsome devil - blonde hair, green eyes but he had let himself go in recent years and was badly overweight the last time I saw him. That morning he comes walking up to me like a male model, he's in great shape, 6 pack, built like an athlete. WTF was my first reaction - later that night I grilled him over pints and he had started doing triathlons for the last year or two. He was modest and never told me he was winning some. I was tired of the wife beating me in running races and like any salthill man worth his salt I could swim the 50ms out and back to the raft at black rock. So that was that I made a bet with the wife that I could beat her at a triathlon and I did, clipped her by a minute at athlone that year. I stayed at it and she went back to running - she didn't like the bike (must run in the family)

I am lucky enough to do a lot of work from home so when I am not travelling I am always guaranteed an hour at lunch and at some stage I will get 2 hours each day at weekends for training as long as I am flexible about it which I am. Some weeks can be a write off with travelling but it doesn't happen too often.

I will have a garmin and a polar on me every time I go out, particularly in winter I will try and keep it below 150 but as for uploading it to connect or studying it past that day I don't bother

I can eat fire basically so probably a house special vindaloo or the auld ones porksteak, roast potatoes and cabbage if it was being cooked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Will you be back in Louisburgh this year looking for podium?
    Do you turbo?
    Would Mrs CW beat you in a run? Say 5k

And while we're at it best 5k & 10k times

• Advertisement

Be happy to have you as a guest on the 1:30 pacing team....

if you're able for it, that is :D

Cheers I suppose it is high time I stopped ignoring the problem, 1:30 pacer I think not, however i will wager I could do a better pacing job than that greyhound you put in on the 1:42 pace group
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I was going to ask what you're doing to address this? Lower mileage isn't working so are you proactively trying to resolve it?

Not much, the odd rub of a ball and a stretch or two when I think of it but no coordinated plan of attack

You may notice a common theme running through these questions.....

Forget about IM, have you broached the subject of the January get together with your wife yet? What are her thoughts?

My wife has been out west for two weeks now. Is Salthill prom really the only place to run in the evenings?

Membership in Ocean Fitness is very expensive. Do you know of any discounts going, or how best/if its possible to negotiate?

How far to you have to travel for some decent climbing on the bike? I know you love your bike, do you love the hills?

Do you always train solo or do you join groups for any of your sessions?

You haven't posted to your training log in 3 months, will it be resurrected when you start back doing a bit? How is the newborn, and how are you coping?

How does someone in Galway turn out to be such a fair-weather cyclist?

What was the biggest rookie error you made in your first Tri?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Favourite discipline?
    Strongest discipline?
    Weakest discipline?
    Run pbs?
    Favourite race?
    What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Would you consider moving to a real city to save your offspring from the sheep etc?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi cw! :D
    What's the most expensive item you've ever ordered without your wife's knowledge?
    Wine - red or white?
    Music - loud or soft?
    Dance - slow or fast?
    Most embarrassing moment ever?
    What do you hate the most about cycling with pgibbo??
    Any pre-race rituals or superstitions?
    Give me your best hope for a race blow by blow when you and I go head to head and long in 2015? :(<pouts at possibility of cw not going long in 2015>

I suppose the SRAM s80 wheels for the pussy wagon, I warned the bike shop before going in with her to not mention that cheaper stock wheels were an option to reduce the price and to plough on through with the original cost. It added an extra 500 to the price but at least the bike looks the business with them

I never got into white wine but I do love a bottle of red

I am desperate with music, very little interest. I will listen to Some rock music in the car or when doing DIY and i have loads of dance music for the training sessions but that's about it

Dance - fast I suppose judging by how useless I was for the wedding song, slow sets were for the shift in the disco dory back in my youth

I crashed into the house and wrote off the car after a few toots when I was a teenager, I thought it would be great fun to see if I could freewheel all the way home down the hill, alas it was a banger and I didn't realise the engine had spluttered out coming into the driveway, so no brakes and straight into the wall at 8pm in the evening. All the family come out and I have to make up that my foot slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator :o

The words 30 minutes steady send a shiver down me, cue 30 minutes of trying to hang onto his wheel, lose it and you are gone, although I enjoyed when the missus flagged him down one time while she was walking and asked where I was, he had to come back for me :P

Glad to see that edited, I don't think I would have a chance against you over that distance - you would grind me to pieces with that endurance you have

Green&Red wrote: »
    Will you be back in Louisburgh this year looking for podium?
    Do you turbo?
    Would Mrs CW beat you in a run? Say 5k

And while we're at it best 5k & 10k times

Perhaps - although I don't see it on the calendar yet, judging by last years effort I wouldn't have any podium ambitions this year

I most certainly do turbo - however my main issue is I tend to watch too many box sets while pedalling

No - any time she looks to be getting back into running I make sure she gets knocked up again, if she put the miles in she would be a good long distance runner, she's whippet thin and doesn't like being beat

20.17 and 45.01 I haven't done a straight road race in either of them in 3 or 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How many times can you bench press your wife?
    How long can you hold a plank for after reading this question?
    Brave heart or Armageddon?
    You vs pgibbo in a mince pie eating contest?
    You vs pgibbo in a long jump?
    What super power would you choose and how would you exploit it?
    School nick name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

How far can you swim underwater on one breath?

You can kill anyone from history without consequence; who would it be?

Can you do this sum in less than one minute?:
    1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x0=?

Brigitte Bardot in the back row of the cinema for 2 hours, or Eternal World Peace?

BTH wrote: »
    You may notice a common theme running through these questions.....

Forget about IM, have you broached the subject of the January get together with your wife yet? What are her thoughts?

My wife has been out west for two weeks now. Is Salthill prom really the only place to run in the evenings?

Membership in Ocean Fitness is very expensive. Do you know of any discounts going, or how best/if its possible to negotiate?

How far to you have to travel for some decent climbing on the bike? I know you love your bike, do you love the hills?

Do you always train solo or do you join groups for any of your sessions?

You haven't posted to your training log in 3 months, will it be resurrected when you start back doing a bit? How is the newborn, and how are you coping?

How does someone in Galway turn out to be such a fair-weather cyclist?

What was the biggest rookie error you made in your first Tri?

I have - she has committed to going but she's dreading it, she has seen me and Paul in action plenty of times like women discussing weight and food, so she thinks 5 or 6 of us together will be a nightmare

It would be the best place I suppose but certainly most of knocknacarra/westside/claddagh will be well lit

I agree the ocean fitness prices are eye watering, no Ben dunne to drive prices down this direction. Have you checked out the ardiluan, I could do something for you in there I reckon.

Too far for the distances I travel on the bike, it's actually not great around Galway for decent hills. I know Paul loves a hill out past moycullen and there is seanafesteen out past oughterard. I actually don't mind hills, I have a granny ring on my compact that I reckon could get me up Mount Everest without having to get up out of the saddle

Nearly always solo, once or twice I go into a lad in Galway City for a run down the prom but he's not good enough to go with when I am in good form. The very odd time with gibbo if he swears it's a recovery week. I would like to get a regular group spin but it's difficult when the training schedule is so haphazard

Things are settling down nicely, the older fella is a dream, he's sleeping from 7.30 to 9am the following morning and hes down for another hour or two nap around lunch. Lazy like his father! The little one is putting on weight, easy to wind and seems very placid, I suppose we were lucky this happened on our 2nd child. We are still in touch with a couple of other parents that were in the same time as us and the 1st timers are nervous wrecks. I need to do some regular training to get back to a log, hopefully in the new year.

Ah I don't know - I never had the love for the bike like I do for the other 2. I would have no problem going out in atrocious conditions for the run and I am not too bad for cold water swimming early in the season. Often the turbo is the easy option anyways to keep the peace in the house, at least I am close to hand if she needs me

Nenagh was my first triathlon - I wasn't far off last. I took to long in transition with towels and putting on tshirts, I had a borrowed bike and unsure of working gears properly I dropped the chain about 4 times, having never done a brick run before I didn't know what was wrong with me when I started running.

Met a few future boardies that day - a slim Tunney went by me on the bike, it was my first experience of a disc wheel and a two piece, I was expecting an x wing fighter with the noise if made. And I had a piss beside huff and puff, I remembered him as he was so small :P

How many times can you bench press your wife?
    How long can you hold a plank for after reading this question?
    Brave heart or Armageddon?
    You vs pgibbo in a mince pie eating contest?
    You vs pgibbo in a long jump?
    What super power would you choose and how would you exploit it?
    School nick name?

I would guess my wife is low 50kgs, probably not very much I am as weak as a kitten with weights.

Nice try but no chance - not after the feed I had, I was a bit more dedicated this time last year and was doing 2 x 1 minute and then 1 x 3 minutes most nights

Braveheart, Armageddon was awful stuff

Gibbo, these lean skinny guys are always hungry and I have seen his secret goodie drawer, he has a sweet tooth

Me - gibbo would get too involved in the mechanics of the jump and get distracted and break the white line

I suppose being able to go invisible would be pretty cool and a relatively harmless power.......I would head straight to the playboy mansion!

Punjab - you would be in trouble giving someone a nickname like that in these PC times :eek:

• Advertisement

Favourite discipline?
    Strongest discipline?
    Weakest discipline?
    Run pbs?
    Favourite race?
    What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Would you consider moving to a real city to save your offspring from the sheep etc?

The run

The swim when going regularly - this would be more it being most peoples weakness so you can pick up a few places

The bike - inability to suffer would be on my report card

5k 20.17
    10k 45.01
    10 mile 70.01
    1/2 marathon 1.39
    Full 3.49

Humbert challenge - fantastic race

Whatever the wife is eating

Yes I would, I refuse to rear a young lad who is into farming and anything sheep related. The red brother in law is always bringing over tractor videos, thankfully pudsy has no interest in them, just tank engines

Advertisement