Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know.................Catweazle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    Full 3.49
    did you not go 3:15 ish in dublin a year or two ago ?:P

If you could go back a few years what would you change
    Sour Jellies yes \no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    How far can you swim underwater on one breath?

You can kill anyone from history without consequence; who would it be?

Can you do this sum in less than one minute?:
    1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x0=?

Brigitte Bardot in the back row of the cinema for 2 hours, or Eternal World Peace?

The club years ago had a swim underwater from one side of the 25m pool to the other. I was mad after as I was the first one in the line to make it across and I just got out then, some of them after me touched the wall and turned back the other way and kept going, I might have made another 5-10 metres perhaps. Grealish was the winner nearly making 50ms before he succumbed

An easy one - the mother in law

Not even going to try that sum - this is a man that did Foundation level maths, I hated maths

Bardot (back in her prime) - if there was world peace Sharon ni Bheolain wouldn't be on TV for so long each night

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its a trick sum, CW.

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a trick sum, CW.

Good - I am now glad I didn't look at it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good - I am now glad I didn't look at it :cool:

Wasted on you, that puzzle. Ya big thick ignoramus.

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    did you not go 3:15 ish in dublin a year or two ago ?:P

If you could go back a few years what would you change
    Sour Jellies yes \no

I had a few queer looks for a few days after the results on the Indo came out, I took particular pleasure in whipping out the official SMS result to one non believer. Although I didnt keep up the pretence for long. How much proof I wonder does Boston need in its qualification process, could I use you again as a ringer in future?

Not only did I buy a house with the wife near the top of the market, I also compounded the error by being greedy and holding on to my house in Castlebar as an investment. The Castlebar house is old and is a financial noose around my neck as the rent is nowhere near covering the mortgage. I cringe every time i see the tenants phone number coming up, I have had to replace the shower, Oven, fridge freezer in the last year and coupled with household charges and property tax its just killing me

Not really a sweet person, I would prefer savory as my snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Not only did I buy a house with the wife near the top of the market, I also compounded the error by being greedy and holding on to my house in Castlebar as an investment.

Anything Mayo is an investment, your kids could grow up in Mayo, or at least spend their summers there, money cant buy that sort of a quality option.

Plus theres plenty of hills around, they may even be able to cycle

Favourite tayto?
    Kettle of fish or supermacs?
    favourite pub in Galway (CC)?

If you always go on holidays while the races are on how in gods name did you meet your wife?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bardot (back in her prime) - if there was world peace Sharon ni Bheolain wouldn't be on TV for so long each night

does every male in the west(almost typed person, but that may be true as well) have a thing for Sharon Ni Bheolain?

cold wrapped up well running or warm shorts and t-shirt running?

if you could give yourself one piece of advice starting out in tri what would it have been?

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anything Mayo is an investment, your kids could grow up in Mayo, or at least spend their summers there, money cant buy that sort of a quality option.

Plus theres plenty of hills around, they may even be able to cycle

Favourite tayto?
    Kettle of fish or supermacs?
    favourite pub in Galway (CC)?

If you always go on holidays while the races are on how in gods name did you meet your wife?

Ah the typical proud Mayo man, everyone should live in Mayo for a while - they are a breed apart ;)

Cheese and Onion

Never heard of kettle of fish - did they take over Blue Thunder? I hardly ever eat fast food, I went in years ago to Supermacs in Longford (what a sh1thole town BTH) and was charged 4.70 or something like that for a curry and cheese chips. I don't think I have ever been back since.

I used to love The Blue Note, they always have hot bar girls and I am proud to say I dated one for a few months back in my college days :cool:, anytime I am out now we get dragged to Massimos which I don't like as much as they do late opening so I usually try and sneak in next door for one or two (we are too old for nightclubs now). But I much prefer pubs around Domnick street, I cant stand the Front Door, Buskers, Quays triangle

I detest the Galway Races - absolutely hate them. I used to work in the Hole in the wall through my college years and some of the arseholes that would be in that week would be beyond belief. Traffic jams everywhere, pubs upping prices and hotels fleecing customers. I met the wife in Boston in the mid 90's through a mutual friend - seeing as we only got married in 2008 we had a long and chequered career. She was well able to travel so I wouldn't see her for years sometimes but I suppose we always had a soft spot for each other. She finally moved back to Galway and we started getting a little more serious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had to edit my post above, i left out a very important specification in the SnB question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I hardly ever eat fast food, I went in years ago to Supermacs in Longford (what a sh1thole town BTH) and was charged 4.70 or something like that for a curry and cheese chips. I don't think I have ever been back since.

You missed out big time there mate. Should have gone to Luigis for your curry cheese chips. Different league!

mossym wrote: »
    does every male(almost typed person, but that may be true as well) have a thing for Sharon Ni Bheolain?

cold wrapped up well running or warm shorts and t-shirt running?

if you could give yourself one piece of advice starting out in tri what would it have been?

I actually prefer that other Siun one but I havent a clue how to spell her name

I would tend to wrap up well in winter - I try and do mostly base training so certainly it takes a while to warm up, if I was running a little faster I would just go with a good baselayer and t-shirt over it, obligatory hat and gloves though.

Be very careful with what you buy - if you get into the sport at all you will want to upgrade almost immediately. It can be a super expensive sport

BTH wrote: »
    You missed out big time there mate. Should have gone to Luigis for your curry cheese chips. Different league!

And you've missed out in Galway, Kettle of fish is part of the reason I've gone out some nites just to justify the cheesy garlic chips or taco chips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Green&Red wrote: »
    And you've missed out in Galway, Kettle of fish is part of the reason I've gone out some nites just to justify the cheesy garlic chips or taco chips

The Kettle is grand but it's hard to beat McDonaghs snack box accompanied with mushy peas, onion rings and curry sauce!!! :cool:

CW, it's next door to the Dew Drop - towards Buskers. ;)

What boards scalp would you love to take?
    Best holiday you've ever had?
    Favourite restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you could choose between either a) chocolatey-chocolate deep dark chocolate piece of cake, b) fruit pie (warmed, if you like), or c) any flavor of ice cream (which?) for dessert, which would you choose?

Coffee or tea? Straight up or dilluted with something?

Ever raced drunk?

Why do you train/race? Is it still because of your friend who inspired you to get involved in triathlon, or for someother reason?

At this stage/age in your life, what is your philosophy about training/racing/goals with respect to triathlon? How serious do you take it? (this question may, in some respects, overlap the one immediately above it)

Do you get nervous before you race? And if so, when do your nerves disappear?

pgibbo wrote: »
    The Kettle is grand but it's hard to beat McDonaghs snack box accompanied with mushy peas, onion rings and curry sauce!!! :cool:

CW, it's next door to the Dew Drop - towards Buskers. ;)

What boards scalp would you love to take?
    Best holiday you've ever had?
    Favourite restaurant?

Yours ;)

Egypt - was at her for years to go. 3 days in Luxor visiting the temples and valley of the kings, 4 days going down the Nile from Luxor to Aswan and a week in a 5 star in El Ghouna. As a history buff Luxor was everything I had hoped, the boat trip down the Nile was just perfect, they had a pianist playing every night, watching the sunset with a bottle of wine (Egyptian wine not great). And then a week in El Ghouna, hotel, resort and beach was magnificent and I did a good bit of scuba diving.

As a fan of spicy food I love the Asian Teahouse in Galway, sitting outside Martines also in Quay street is great during the summer months

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If you could choose between either a) chocolatey-chocolate deep dark chocolate piece of cake, b) fruit pie (warmed, if you like), or c) any flavor of ice cream (which?) for dessert, which would you choose?

Coffee or tea? Straight up or dilluted with something?

Ever raced drunk?

Why do you train/race? Is it still because of your friend who inspired you to get involved in triathlon, or for someother reason?

At this stage/age in your life, what is your philosophy about training/racing/goals with respect to triathlon? How serious do you take it? (this question may, in some respects, overlap the one immediately above it)

Do you get nervous before you race? And if so, when do your nerves disappear?

That chocolate cake sounds good as long as their is no chocolate ice cream in it - that I cant abide.

Love my coffee, bought a Nespresso a year ago - a great buy

No but I have played GAA drunk from the night before

I trained originally because it was something to do out in the sticks, it wouldn't be so bad now with the kids around but before that there would be nothing to do unless i started some diy which was never an option. These days its ingrained into me, I am wracked with guilt if I don't do anything on a given day

I don't take it too seriously - it would be great to be getting better and getting high finishes and loads of pbs but I don't fall asleep at night worrying about it. I enjoy getting out training, its helps me keep off the fags and go easy on the beer

I am always a little nervous before the swim, once I get going I usually forget about it. Kilkee last year was the only time that the nerves didn't go away at the start but that was an awful swim out to the first bouy

What would your strategy be to successfully take pgibbo's scalp?

How did you come up with the name "pussywagon"??

I assume you put up a Christmas tree - artificial or real? how many? when? and what is your contribution to the process?

Also, what is your favorite Christmas tune?

What would your strategy be to successfully take pgibbo's scalp?

How did you come up with the name "pussywagon"??

I assume you put up a Christmas tree - artificial or real? how many? when? and what is your contribution to the process?

Also, what is your favorite Christmas tune?

It would have to be a combination of a few things, extreme badgering in the water to put him off his rhythm. I don't see any way around having to ensure he has a puncture in transition (I would prefer on the course as he wouldn't have access to a foot pump but i couldn't take the chance that he would just retire which would leave me with a tainted victory) and a dodgy knee (isnt his hip sore at the moment?) would need to crop up on the run - so basically a miracle!

The Pussywagon was basically a mix between my username of catweazle and one of my more favourite films

41fV91FLSQL.jpg

I was always a fan of a real tree when I was a young lad but as soon as we moved into the new house together I was much more of an artificial tree man. Far easier to keep

I worked in Quinnsworth/Tesco when I was a teenager and xmas songs was on loop from November on so I hate all of them, particularly the start of McCartneys simply having a wonderful xmas time.

However...........I still like its beginning to look a lot like xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What times across the three disciplines would you target for an IM?
    How fast do you think you can go for a HIM?
    If you were entering a boards relay team what 2 people would you have on the team with you and what disciplines would everyone do?

• Advertisement

Gilligan's Island - Mary Ann or Ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I worked in Quinnsworth/Tesco when I was a teenager and xmas songs was on loop from November on so I hate all of them, particularly the start of McCartneys simply having a wonderful xmas time[/]

I laughed at this- sums up my feelings for "something inside so strong", also on loop during a tesco job. Can't hear it 15 years later without wanting to punch something!

Where did "catweazle" come from btw?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What times across the three disciplines would you target for an IM?
    How fast do you think you can go for a HIM?
    If you were entering a boards relay team what 2 people would you have on the team with you and what disciplines would everyone do?

Complete conjecture here - particularly dependent on the course I picked but if everything was relatively normal (flat) in the course and I came in the shape I would hope I was in.
    Swim Sub 1.10 / Bike sub 6.30 Run sub 4.00 = 11.40, but basically I would like to do sub 12 hours so any combination that would get me under that would be great

Close to but probably not under sub 5 hours

I would invite Elvis and Tunney, certainly not a world beating team but expect fireworks all the same

Gilligan's Island - Mary Ann or Ginger?

I don't know if that was ever shown over here - certainly I have never seen an episode of it but I am more than willing to have an opinion

Ginger_Grant.jpg

Ginger

Mary_Ann_Summers.jpg

Mary Ann

Not much competition there - I have always had a thing for an attractive ginger (female) and that Mary-Ann one is a bit schoolgirlish looking so I would be worried I would be arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Not much competition there - I have always had a thing for an attractive ginger (female) and that Mary-Ann one is a bit schoolgirlish looking so I would be worried I would be arrested

;)

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I laughed at this- sums up my feelings for "something inside so strong", also on loop during a tesco job. Can't hear it 15 years later without wanting to punch something!

Where did "catweazle" come from btw?

Something inside so strong - another one i hate, the older sister loved it and always had it playing along with Bonnie Tylers holding out for a hero

When I first joined the company, a much older work colleague had a username called catweazle on those old outlook forums, I used to log in and have some fun with it when he was out having a fag. When I joined boards a few years later it was the first thing that came to mind when it asked me for a username. I have actually never seen the show, it was broadcast before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How do you feel about Lough Rea not getting NS race this year? (If they applied for it)

joey100 wrote: »
    How do you feel about Lough Rea not getting NS race this year? (If they applied for it)

The first question I went ooooohhhhhh shhhhitte over - hardest question yet!

I suppose any answer I give here has to be taken with the fact that I am not a member of Predator any longer (i hadn't made a training session in three years so it was a bit pointless rejoining year after year).

When I first saw the list and saw they were dropped, I was disappointed for them but was aware that they were cutting the number of NS races.

My first impression when I joined Predator is that it is a club with an eye on the long term - no other club in Galway comes near them for their work with bringing on the juniors and kids and they deserve great credit for that. The race itself has always been superbly organised and they put huge effort into it year on year for months beforehand whether it was national series or not. There was a great sense of pride last year when they achieved NS status, so to lose it after only one year will be devastating for them

The benefits from this race every year has always been put back into the club and I am always getting club emails with discounted swim analysis sessions, part funded training days, bike fit funding, turbo training schedules etc etc, I have to assume that there will be less money now to fund some of these initiatives as race numbers will inevitably be down from last year.

I will admit to being incredulous when I saw Lough Cutra a few miles down the road got NS status. This is a race that has been treated in Galway with general apathy and has badly struggled to get numbers over the previous two years, with it being a UK event organizer I have to assume all profits will be going back to the UK so I cant see the logic in their selection.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out for Lough Cutra, National series or not I certainly wont be entering this race and I would reckon many of the local Galway/Connacht clubs will also avoid this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's a good answer there Catweazle! Have to say I agree with you about Lough Rea, I done it for the first time last year and have to say apart from DCT (a race on a different scale) it's the best race I have ever done. Location, marshalls, closed roads and a good challenging course as well as a lovely towel in the goodie bag. The atmosphere was one of the best too and the junior races before were brilliant. My gf went to the race with me and she enjoyed it so much she will be signing up to do it this year.

• Advertisement

Cutra was very expensive last year, any word on whether it will be this year or not?

Have to say it is a sickner that a race that seems to be ripping off triatheletes and not to the benefit of a local club either but as you say a UK based company.

It stinks TBH

Advertisement