Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land agents

• 21-11-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

my great great great grandfather was a land agent, im not fully sure what estates he was attached to but id have an educated guess at at least one in cavan..mountain lodge demesne..
    is there anywhere i can find any information in relation to the estate and the land agent side of things as ive drawn a blank everywhere else.. im guessing its the kind of job that would be got thru family either handed down or contacts

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I just googled "mountain lodge demesne" and the internet suggested it was in Monaghan.
    This site (logainm) gave an alternative name for it as Farmoyle House or Demesne.

I just looked up both names in Bence-Jones and a couple of other books on old houses I have here and couldn't find it.

Do you know the name of the family he worked for? This sort of job did sometimes pass through families but only if the next generation was properly competent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

think cavan monaghan border.. yeah i knew it was farmoyle, dont know family he worked for or anything like that..
    its a big presumption and it may be way out, based on the fact that at least 2 of his daughters were born there, and a grandson, with him at the birth,
    hes down as land agent on his daughters marriage cert,

Well, the best way to approach it then is to research which estates and families owned land in that area, then check if Cavan/Monaghan libraries or NLI/NAI have estate records for them and get digging.

If you locate a trade directory for the area and time period, it will tell you who the local gentry are.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from the Lewis 1837 entry for the civil parish of Aghnamullen/Aughnamullen, which includes the Mountain Lodge Demesne townland :

'...The principal seats are Mountain Lodge, situated in a beautiful demesne, that of Lieut.-Col. Ker....,

Just checked Burkes LGI 1912 - there's a Ker family in Co. Down but no mention of Mountain Lodge. Also Murray-Ker family of Monaghan. Some army mentions but nothing again about this house.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

http://thesilverbowl.com/documents/Breakey_Memoirs/Breakey%20Manuscript%20BOOK%20ONE%20COMPLETE.htm

got some bits and pieces re kerr but nothing about agar / eagar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

You might check PRONI as well, as they might have info about those estates. I know they have info about estates in Leitrim for definite.

thats the next step, was hoping to establish a link to an estate before i got onto them, maybe the only link to mountain lodge is that his daughter was living there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

This site is great for Landed Estates, but has nothing on Monaghan unfortunately.

Mumha wrote: »
    This site is great for Landed Estates, but has nothing on Monaghan unfortunately.

It's just Munster & Connacht for now but they are hoping to get funding to do Ulster at some stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's just Munster & Connacht for now but they are hoping to get funding to do Ulster at some stage.

Hope they get around to Leinster at some stage too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement