Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tearaway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished Tearaway yesterday.

An absolutely wonderful and charming game. I was smiling throughout the whole thing.

I'm not sure how long it was but I'd guess between 7 -8 hours.

Might go back to collect some of the things I missed now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,579 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    I think Rayman Legends is in that too, although you could buy them both for hmv for the same price even without the 2 for 50

I need Rayman Legends on the WiiU, it's the best format but sold out everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I need Rayman Legends on the WiiU, it's the best format but sold out everywhere.

zavvi.com have it on sale for €18.75 : http://www.zavvi.com/games-wii-u/rayman-legends-wii-u/10616873.html?vwo_ppr=a

Used them loads they're pretty good with delivery times once stuff is in stock, usually 4-5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The vita is arguably just as good, especially since the patched all the content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,579 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    zavvi.com have it on sale for €18.75 : http://www.zavvi.com/games-wii-u/rayman-legends-wii-u/10616873.html?vwo_ppr=a

Used them loads they're pretty good with delivery times once stuff is in stock, usually 4-5 days.

Thanks for that, just ordered it, should be on the desk when I get back to work next week.
    Too many games to play now, 1st world problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for that, just ordered it, should be on the desk when I get back to work next week.
    Too many games to play now, 1st world problems!

Ha same, between the vita stuff and free psn+ games and a few things I picked up on the cheap I'll be kept going for months (aka until Dark Souls 2 comes out)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I ended up with a duplicate copy of Tearaway this Christmas. Anyone know if you can exchange a game in Gamestop if it is not the same Gamestop as it was bought?

I ended up with a duplicate copy of Tearaway this Christmas. Anyone know if you can exchange a game in Gamestop if it is not the same Gamestop as it was bought?

You should, though the managers can be dicks about it. Some will say its at their discretion and refuse.
    Try during a quiet time in the shop, sure with gifts its more than likely its been bought at a different shop to the one it's returned to, and they exchange those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

You should, though the managers can be dicks about it. Some will say its at their discretion and refuse.
    Try during a quiet time in the shop, sure with gifts its more than likely its been bought at a different shop to the one it's returned to, and they exchange those.

It worked out well for me. I managed to get a straight swap for a new copy of Beyond for the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just finished this last night. Really enjoyable game and a must have for the vita. None of the touchscreen or rear touch controls feel tacked on at all.

• Advertisement

Just finished this last night. Really enjoyable game and a must have for the vita. None of the touchscreen or rear touch controls feel tacked on at all.

It's remarkable alright.
    Probably the first game I've played that was so at home with the Vita, in a manner similar to Nintendo.
    I never really liked Media Molecule and their LBP titles but Tearaway was brilliant.

I would suggest that if you liked it try Puppeteer on the PS3, should be quite cheap now and it is also an incredible looking game.
    The gameplay is not as innovative and the format is interesting but it's well worth a play if to do nothing but to see an imagination in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's remarkable alright.
    Probably the first game I've played that was so at home with the Vita, in a manner similar to Nintendo.
    I never really liked Media Molecule and their LBP titles but Tearaway was brilliant.

I would suggest that if you liked it try Puppeteer on the PS3, should be quite cheap now and it is also an incredible looking game.
    The gameplay is not as innovative and the format is interesting but it's well worth a play if to do nothing but to see an imagination in action.

Cheers, I'll pick that up. I've been hearing good things about that. Is it a spin off of the LBP titles? Because there's lots to do with puppets in those games.

No, it's quite different but has a wonderful conceit, everything is on a stage with the levels changing in some sort of steampunk mechanical scenery swapping machinery, it's lovely.
    Great voice acting too.
    Only the opening tutorial grates a bit, but that's over in 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally wrapped up the last bits and pieces of this over the weekend. It was a genuine joy. What's most impressive about it is that it offers such a vibrant and coherent gameworld, yet one which feels completely unique. It follows through on both the 'world inside your Vita' and a 'world made of paper' concepts brilliantly, and it's a delight to explore when Media Molecule keep adding new twists to the overall conceits. The papercraft collectibles are a beautiful touch, adding an extra layer to a game that already has a lot of fun with both re-appropriating real world objects and allowing the player direct input into loads of smart little flourishes (whether that's animals with fur textures based on a photo you took or the snow flake you designed subtlety floating into the foreground).

A lot of reviews suggest the game is too short, which frankly I find crazy. It's a great length that offers a rich variety of settings and doesn't rely on endlessly recycling setpieces or mechanics. And it's the rare game worth going back to and finding some of the secrets. Replaying the levels highlights how clever much of the design is, and a couple of the hidden areas are delightful (listening to a full length
    sea shanty
    behind a secret wall was a post-game highlight!).

The only issue I really had with the game was a few glitches I discovered. During one of the freefall sections I got stuck in a loop where I died before hitting the ground, and had to restart the game and chapter to fix it. There were a few instances of getting stuck in scenery or falling through it (including a couple of deaths when the screen fills with white light at the end of one level), and during one load the rear touchpad simply stopped working until I restarted the console. Unfortunate but ultimately minor blemishes on an otherwise inspired slice of game design - one full of detail, energy, creativity and a deep-rooted love for all things design. It's still the game that allows the player to feel like a meaningful part of the gameworld - heck, your own face is staring at you throughout! - but it also shows what happens when Media Molecule'a fantastic designers indulge themselves too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got this today for 15 in gamestop..............Now to see what all the bloody hype is about :pac:

I got this today for 15 in gamestop..............Now to see what all the bloody hype is about :pac:

I saw it for a tenner in Harvey Norman in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Its a joy to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Okay I have quite the bone to pick with Tearaway so this will be a bit of a rant than a impression.

I played 40 minutes of it and while The common voice will say you have not given it enough time I say this. 40 minutes is well more than enough for game like Tearaway where the game is based on the systems specs and capabilities and features that if I am led to believe is to center around to be integrated into a gameplay to feel unique innovative that it feels connected to the world which for me was the complete opposite.

Nintendoland for all its sheer tense and purposes is similar game to show off what the gamepad can do and that succeeded far more than Tearaway because while the technology itself is far advanced it keeps its ideas grounded that does not feel separate from the experience.

Tearaway on the other hand shows off that the camera shows your face as the sun god , taken pictures with your fuzzy little friends , the most obnoxious design that back touch pad to attack certain enemies and move obstacles to walk across certain places.

This did not work best that intertwined with the world , it separated it and became a nuisance and for all its intense and purposes and what it tried to achieve to be became a gimmick and I expected more than what I seen.

.I may be told I need to play more to properly but you do not throw all your eggs in the basket from the get go and show me what the game pretty much is going to be.

It has bundles of charm I give it that but so did games like Rayman Origins which at the end became so souless.

If you enjoyed it Fantastic , just wish I could say the same.

Saw this video the other day on Vimeo, reminded me of tearaway

http://vimeo.com/100989995

(Could mods embed the video, on mobile and cant, thanks)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

.I may be told I need to play more to properly but you do not throw all your eggs in the basket from the get go and show me what the game pretty much is going to be.

You need to play more :p

The game riffs on and expands on the mechanics it introduces early on throughout the game. Hell the game doesn't even introduce one of the more fundamental platforming mechanics - jumping! - until an hour or two in. Some of the game's more enjoyable tools don't appear until relatively late in the game. And pretty much every great game introduces many of its fundamental visual and mechanical features at a very early stage - it has to, in to ensure the player fully understands how the world and game work.

I'd also argue you're meant to be aware of the Vita itself throughout Tearaway. Media Molecule want you to understand how both they and the player are utilising the machine, and are constantly drawing attention to its physical existence. What's most impressive is how they build this consistent, surreal, varied and amusing world around it. Nintendoland makes fun use of the hardware, but it's nothing more than a collection of mini-games (some more gimmicky than others) wrapped in a bland overworld. Tearaway on the other hand builds everything around the hardware, and does so in a vibrant and fourth-wall shattering way. It's a game explicitly fascinated by the potential of the machine, and wants you to be fascinated too. It's a proudly artificial world (it's not meant to be organic - everything feels manmade) that, above all else, celebrates the brilliant oddness of its chosen hardware, right down to the mechanics and aesthetics.

But yeah, give it another chance - the game has much more to offer than what you see in the first half hour.

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Saw this video the other day on Vimeo, reminded me of tearaway

http://vimeo.com/100989995

(Could mods embed the video, on mobile and cant, thanks)

Don't think we can embed vimeo links, only youtube!

You need to play more :p

The game riffs on and expands on the mechanics it introduces early on throughout the game. Hell the game doesn't even introduce one of the more fundamental platforming mechanics - jumping! - until an hour or two in. Some of the game's more enjoyable tools don't appear until relatively late in the game. And pretty much every great game introduces many of its fundamental visual and mechanical features at a very early stage - it has to, in to ensure the player fully understands how the world and game work.

I'd also argue you're meant to be aware of the Vita itself throughout Tearaway. Media Molecule want you to understand how but they and the player are utliising the machine, and are constantly drawing attention to its physical existence. What's most impressive is how they build this consistent, surreal, varied and amusing world around it. Nintendoland makes fun use of the hardware, but it's nothing more than a collection of mini-games (some more gimmicky than others) wrapped in a bland overworld. Tearaway on the other hand builds everything around the hardware, and does so in a vibrant and fourth-wall shattering way. It's a game explicitly fascinated by the potential of the machine, and wants you to be fascinated to. It's a proudly artificial world (it's not meant to be organic - everything feels manmade) that, above all else, celebrates the brilliant oddness of its chosen hardware, right down to the mechanics and aesthetics.

But yeah, give it another chance - the game has much more to offer than what you see in the first half hour.

If I must endure I let my sister do all the boring **** till it gets interesting :p

Don't think we can embed vimeo links, only youtube!

No problem, video is worth a look though. Its a short made by a final year student i think

Tearaway, possibly one of the games of last year for me.
    There were several titles that visually did things I've never seen before, Tearaway was one, Puppeteer the other.
    Both games integrated their respective conceits into the game, one a world made of folded and rolled paper, the other on a steampunk powered stage, both games playing riffs on the materials they are made of, wonderful stuff. And, the great thing is, you can probably buy the two and have change out of €30

A special mention to the soundtrack, which frankly does things I've never heard a game soundtrack do before. The lively instrumentals gels perfectly with the homemade style and the folky atmosphere established by the story, world and visual design alike. A surprising and inventive soundtrack to go along with a surprising and inventive game :)

Or this magnificent piece that plays in the level featuring giant, scratchable records:

So....Much thanks to JOhnny and Ciderman after my post on my early and negative thoughts on Tearaway I decided to give the game a proper chance moving past a tutorial I disliked very much.
    I have just finished the game and not have I only disregard My additonal opinion I can happy say that this is not only the best Vita game I have played , this is simply one of the best platformers I have ever played.

I should of been foolish to diss Media MOlecule after the genius of tools and world they created littlebigplanet , to think tearaway was simply just a gimmick of using a platform features in such a boring matter, they managed to make a game where its features are so influential in the game design and intertwine so beautifully its just has a natural flow, often Nintendo gets created for I feel the small studio from england has so much up its sleeve it out does Nintendo at times, small studio with a massive force and after this and littlebigplanet sony has a powerful company.

The Music , OH My GUrrrd the music....Its creates a world in itself with layers of such melodies that magic , just pure magic.

I have no complaints other than the game just has to end.

12/10

Give it a fcuking oscar , noble prize , academy award, a bafta

Just give it the ****ing world

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It was the game that made me buy a Vita, that and PS+. Wonderful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Luthion

Glad you came around in the end richy.

There really is nothing like Tearaway. It probably would have been my favourite games of 2013 if The Last of Us hadn't also been released that year. I'd go so far as to rate as one of the best games I've played. It's just so fun and inventive.

Luthion wrote: »
    Glad you came around in the end richy.

There really is nothing like Tearaway. It probably would have been my favourite games of 2013 if The Last of Us hadn't also been released that year. I'd go so far as to rate as one of the best games I've played. It's just so fun and inventive.

Its by far the best game I seen take full advantage of a platform features without it feeling tacked on. Its one of those games where it always reminds you why you play videogames in the first place :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a magical game :) any news on a sequel?

Advertisement