Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanaimo Bars with powdered custard recipe ?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all, i have a tub of birds powdered custard and was looking for a recipe for Nanaimo Bars but im struggling to find one.... any help would be appreciated. Also any other recipe ideas to use up the custard powder...
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I love Nanaimo bars!!! Never made them myself (only consumed in Nanaimo :o) but would be interested in a recipe too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd never heard of them and had to Google, but now I want one! I'd be interested in a recipe for them too :)

I've moved this to Cakes & Bakes, you're much more likely to get help in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The custardy bit would have to have some strength to hold up the topping, I expect you'd make it very thick. Looks lovely though - reminds me a bit of millionaire's shortbread, only custardy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I tried to attach a recipe but I need to take some kind of course, methinks!

Just google Joy of Baking and search for nanaimo bars, their recipe looks gorgeous and I've had a lot of luck with some of their other ones.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You could make a custard flan? Delicious flaky pastry holding a wobbly custard filling. Use less milk than for normal custard and it should stand on its own after baking.

You could probably also use it for bread and butter pudding. The standard recipes basically have you making a custard which you pour over teh bread and cook in the oven, you could probably sub all the custard components for custard made from the powder.

Also, I like making mugs of custard for late evening treats in the winter, 1 tbsp custard powder, 1 dessertpoon of cinnamon sugar, 2/3 mug of milk, and microwave for 2 mins, stirring at about 1min20s. You can also replace the cinnamon sugar with 1dessertspoon of normal sugar and a dessertspoon of cocoa, though this doesnt thicken up quite as well.

I think I just love custard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

gg2 wrote: »
    I love Nanaimo bars!!! Never made them myself (only consumed in Nanaimo :o) but would be interested in a recipe too...

Do they just call them 'bars' there? :D

My mother used have a great recipe for them, I'll have to mail her and ask her to look it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Another recipe for powdered custard is custard slices - I made them a lot when I was a child. You just blind bake shortcrust pastry in a swiss roll tin or similar, with the pastry coming up the sides of the tin. When it's cooled, spread it with raspberry jam and then with custard made from powder, but thicker than normal so it will set.
    They taste really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Well I actually made my first batch of Nanaimo Bars today, used the Joy of Baking recipe and they turned out very well, if I do say so myself! :D

They're not as quick as brownies because there's a lot of cooling in between layers but all my "tasters" loved them in the end. I left out the nuts because nobody here likes them so I substituted extra biscuit crumbs. The bottom layer reminded me of Bounty Bars, which I love! They need longer to cool than the recipe suggested but I will definitely make them again.

Advertisement