Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample much?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey, curious if many people sample on here. I don't mean using sample CDs or packs of one shots, I mean getting old records and snipping out a little vocal phrase, piano, flute or some drum hits and such. With Hip Hop as my first musical love I was always drawn to that. Now (and for the last 15 or so year) house music is a big part of my listening. I love Moodymann, Theo and anybody doing soulful or deep moody house music. As I am getting my head around learning minor chords and jazz chords I have started to think about doing some sampling for the authenticity of the sound (I see the irony here by the way). I'm not exactly releasing or selling anything so I'm not thinking about the copyright aspect, just to get better results for my ears.
    Anyone do this? I'm curious whatever genres you are doing it with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hey, curious if many people sample on here.

I''ve been meaning to do it but haven't gotten round to actually sampling anything yet. I borrowed an old army band album and was going to sample some brass sections and play around with em'. Could add another dimension to my productions hopefully :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I like to sample drum hits from my mp3 collection, mostly 80s stuff like New Order etc. You can't beat 80s gated reverb on drums. I recently borrowed a lot of 80s vocals from those "Vocal Only" versions of songs on Youtube that people make. Old video tapes are good for speeches, ad voice overs, sitcoms etc...Its all on Youtube these days I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Have got on the sample band wagon this weekend. It makes a huge difference having some sort of vocal that carries an idea in the track. Going to go sample crazy for the next few weeks to get some skills manipulating parts and speeding up the workflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 magi1988

I like to sample everynow or then. I mainly sample vocals or vocals with little background music. I find it difficult to sample music with too many sounds together.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shhkip

There's a great collection of Motown acapellas floating around the net, some cool vocal stuff to sample

• Advertisement
Advertisement