Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stills from video files.

Options
  • 21-11-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I record a lot of footage using a GoPro Hero HD. I'm wondering what is the easiest way to get stills from the video footage, preferably in the jpeg format.

Also can anyone recommend good free video editing software?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hi guys, I record a lot of footage using a GoPro Hero HD. I'm wondering what is the easiest way to get stills from the video footage, preferably in the jpeg format.

Also can anyone recommend good free video editing software?

Thanks.
    If Microsoft movie maker is still on the go that's worth a try for getting into editing as it's free and easy to use.

It's worth considering paying for something though, Adobe has some good cut down software with new monthly payment plans. It's also good to have purchased one of their products because it gives you discounts if you want to advance onto something more serious.

Adobe premiere elements is a good start, I haven't used that program but it seems very good from what I've heard.

If you download VLC player I'm sure theres a way of taking a screenshot from within that program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

On a PC

Play video at full screen
    Pause at desired point
    Shift + Prnt Scn

• Registered Users Posts: 22 terryreilly

On a mac, download 'Grab' software for free to capture a still once video is in full screen. Open anu image editor that comes free, create new file & copy paste & you have your new image to save out.

On a PC, just press 'Print Screen key' to capture & then do the rest as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Watch it in VLC player and it has a command to save a screenshot. No need to copy-paste. I comes out in PNG but that can do anything jpg can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Great, thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Mpeg Streamclip is also worth a look for screengrabs, basic trimming/editing and format conversion

http://www.squared5.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cjlawlor wrote: »
    Mpeg Streamclip is also worth a look for screengrabs, basic trimming/editing and format conversion

http://www.squared5.com/

Handy piece of software that - also great for ripping selected sections from DVDs if I remember correctly.

Advertisement