Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ I agree, spinning seems to be much better for sustainability and energy management. Used to be a masher myself, but I'm learning to embrace the spin. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    embrace the spin. ;)

embrace the spin, nice t-shirt slogan right there dory, you should go into business.

Monday - 2100m swim, back in the pool, all feel for the water gone, felt like i was pushing blocks up the pool. hope that goes away quickly, was happy with how swim had been improving the last few weeks so this as annoying.
    2100m in 40 minutes

Tuesday Morning - Turbo session done pre work. 10 minutes warm up, then 6*4 over threshold off 1 min recovery. stupid hr monitor on the fritz again, sick of it now at this stage, so this was done off rpe, but as this is a usual session now i know how much it should hurt and it did. hanging on for the last one. 5 minutes easy to finish

45 mins, 20 odd km or so.

going to have to get the hr issue fixed, again, pre lost sheep. was almost decided to go down the power meter route as well and this pretty much pushed me over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

At this stage Im surprised you haven't jumped and purchased the PM.:D

BennyMul wrote: »
    At this stage Im surprised you haven't jumped and purchased the PM.:D

watch this space:) only a matter of time at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Which ones are you looking at mossy, again we seem to be at the same place! Hoping to get some money together for one myself over the next few months,

joey100 wrote: »
    Which ones are you looking at mossy, again we seem to be at the same place! Hoping to get some money together for one myself over the next few months,

going with a power2max. not keen on a wheel based one as i swap between 3 sets of wheels. vectors seem unreliable. stages, i'm not as against them as some but there seems to be quality issues. srm, expensive when compared to p2m and i'm not seeing what more you get.

everything is decided except the crank length. have been on to them already and know what to get so i can switch between the rose bb90 bottom bracket, and the slice, bb30 (so will need an adapter)

mossym wrote: »
    oly and half is where i'd like to focus for the next couple of seaons. that was always based on the notion i wasn't fast enough for sprints, few results this year have changed that view slightly

this has been bothering me, more because of the way i wrote it. was going to let it go but can't.

i never intended to mean i could compete at the very front of races. however, i thought in sprints I'd hit a natural wall pretty quickly, and going any faster would be really really tough. Well I've already gone beyond where i thought that wall would be this year, so part of me would like to see where the wall actually is. i might be at it already, but i;d like to know. So rather than forgetting about sprints and focusing on oly/half, i'll still throw in a few sprints just to see how they go, especially local ones i enjoy.

just to set the record straight.

trigger pulled. PM ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

trigger pulled. PM ordered.

good move Mossym, I got a PM recently and definitely believe it helps with the training, I have a long long way to go to train properly with it but I'm getting there, Bennymul is a bit of a Guru on power so a good mind to pick if you have any questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Pmaldini wrote: »
    good move Mossym, I got a PM recently and definitely believe it helps with the training, I have a long long way to go to train properly with it but I'm getting there, Bennymul is a bit of a Guru on power so a good mind to pick if you have any questions

Congrats on the purchase, and im sure your coach will have you well sorted on the PM details, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I noticed you forgot one of the PM's in your list. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »

The Fisher Price one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    The Fisher Price one?

Thats the one!!

Fits in rightly with my ability :p

AKW wrote: »

the choice what to go with was difficult, you have to assemble parts that will work together.trying to find one that matched two different bikes with two different bottom brackets wasn't easy.

it also had to work with the other components in the chain, me, the other equipment, and the coach. all equally important. hence some were discarded very early on:D

Tuesday Run
    Easy 30 minutes at lunch. suffering in the heat. However, pace felt good, running last week was awful, but holding 4:52/km pace and feeling easy was more like it should be.
    6.3km in 30 mins http://www.strava.com/activities/169541086

Wednesday Morning Swim
    2500m , 500 WU, 1500 AS 15*100 off 2:00, alternating pb(in on 1:40) and swim (in on 1:43), then fast 50's and 300 WD. felt much better than monday, but arms a little tired. Still though a good session.
    2500m in 50 mins

Lunchtime run
    10.2km in 50 mins, done in sticky muggy heat, not sure i have ever sweated as much on a run, even in a few races that were >30C. humidity today was a killer. still though, pace felt good, maybe a little tough. No HR so done off RPE. 4:59 pace.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/169886953

One consequence of being relatively injury free (knock loudly on wood) for the last few months is i've let maintenance slide, no rolling, no core work.

remedied that last night, decent rolling stretching session. feel a lot better for it. need to make it part of the regular routine again

Thursday
    Was planning to get out on the bike, had some drills to do but was going to spin away for a while afterwards, then the heavens opene don my way home, there were reports on the radio about floods on the road i had been thinking of using, so this was switched to a turbo.

some builds, then into big gear low cadence work. pushing 50 to 60 rpm just feels so odd to me, i'm usually spinning a much lighter gear at the 85/90 mark. could tell as well, legs felt the efforts here, which probably means they were good for me.

finished off with some sprints. was only the drill work as it was on the turbo, and was later gating to it

50 mins, 21 ish km.

Friday Morning Swim
    warm up, then 100/200/300/400/400/300/200/100. alternating sw/pb, then wind down. longest swim in a while, coming in at 2700m. usually like this session, arms were tired this morning though so was feeling the 400's. no idea what the splits were, just focused on keeping the effort steady.

51 mins all told, 2700m

Friday Intervals
    Out at lunchtime, felt the heat straight away. few minutes easy, then some builds, then into 5*4 over threshold. first was just under 4:00, next couple at it, then the heat hit and i slowed a bit for the last one. tough session, took a while to cool down afterwards. 8.7km in 39:16, 4:31min/km overall http://www.strava.com/activities/170784511/laps

Saturday Long Run
    Didn;t have time for the long bike today, so swapped with the long run. 18km, felt good, was feeling really strong up to the 16 km mark or so, started to tire a little then. hot a rolling course, ups and down, which i hope is something similar to what lost sheep willl be. plan for this weekend was to test race nutrition, so 4 gels taken over the course of this, no problems with them. advantages of a stomach that's handled food from all over the world while travelling :)
    1:30, 18.1km, 5:01min/km http://www.strava.com/activities/171081818

Sunday Spin
    Hour easy, then 4*30 race pace with 10 recovery, 30 easy to finish.

expected legs to be a little tired after yesterday. felt okay heading out. testing nutrition again, so a gel every 20 minutes. hour easy went fine, then picked up for the efforts. all went well, didn't really take a 10 min gap between interval 2 and 3, silly mistake. anyway, interval 4 was tough, legs were really feeling it, this was 3 hours into the spin though so hopefully will be off the bike by then in kenmare, and won't have the run done the day before..:)

9 gels taken, again no issue.
    115km, 30.4km average, 3:45 moving
    http://www.strava.com/activities/171587409

off the bike and onto a 20 min run as 5 steady, 15 mod. the legs were tired on the bike, they really struggled here. found this really tough, but it got done
    4.3km, 20 mins, 4:37min/km, http://www.strava.com/activities/171587328

tough weekend. glad to have those done.

Pool this morning, session changed up a bit. First time using a band, but given the absence of any real kick using a band, especially with a pb, didn't make a huge difference.

one other thing of note. this was in my smaller(17M) local pool. Bit of big fish in a small pond syndrome here, never any real swimers in here in the mornings, which is great for getting space to yourself, but you do tend to be cruising past people. this morning, arrived in, only one other swimmer, a woman, but at the end of the pool, pull buoy, band and paddles. did my set next to her, and unsurprisingly she was faster, not by much, depending on what i was doing i might pass her the odd time, but typically she was distancing herself from me. Nice reminder that i'm a crap swimmer and need to keep working. can forget that sometimes with no other real swimmers around.

2200 in 44 mins

• Advertisement

Wow bit of catching up to do.

Tuesday:

Lunchtime run. Very easy, hr ~148 or so 30 min run at lunchtime 6km @5:13 pace http://www.strava.com/activities/172680928

Evening: Off to Japan on saturday with work, so swapped the shorter session for a longer spin. Was heading out with one of the lads, he arrived san shoes, but i knew he had been mad to try the tri bike and as it was his birthday i let him borrow my tri shoes and he took the slice for a spin, with me on the roadbike. spun up to toomevara, then swapped bikes and i cycled the tri bike hoem while he tried the rose road bike, he rides a steel colnago so not sure which he liked more, the road bike or the tri.
    67.1km, just over 2 hours, but some decent efforts in that, averge speed a bit low as the first bit was very slow while he got used to the tri bike, but some good race pace efforts in there.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/172680945

Wednesday

2700m in the pool, mix of 200's and 100's, swim going okay at the moment, but the week off in japan will set me back again
    2700m in 53 minutes

Missed the evening runm family stuff got in the way, with heading off for a week it's always better to make sure the family come first.

Thursday
    over-Threshold intervals on the bike, tough as usual
    40 minutes

Friday
    might call this big day. started off with a 3000m swim in the pool, the main set as 19*100, this was a good ssession, the 1900m was a good pacing excercise, but by the time i got 2900 into this i was feeling it, like i'd been in the water for half the week. Tiring one, but still i enjoyed it

3000m in 1hr

With travelling, long run was going to be tough, so agreed with coach to get it in friday evening. so home from work, changed, and back out. 21.3km in pouring rain, dark back roads, hilly enough course to start, done very slow, but i really enjoyed it. pace was way down, energy levels a little low after the swim, and the pace tailed off a bit at the end, but happy with this. 21.3km in 1:55. longest run ever not counting a split run of a half marathon with a few km a little later to cool down
    http://www.strava.com/activities/174050508

nothing saturday as off to japan, got in sunday and did an easy 40 min at 5:10 pace on the hotel treadmill.

and now the bad news. Start of last week the knee started feeling a bit achy. talked to coach, was keeping an eye on it, felt better during the week, after the long run was a little stiff and achy on Saturday, but was okay while running on Sunday. Monday though was sore to walk on, nothing really bad, but not right. Queue a few days off it now, and with not being at home no option to bike or swim. so thats me out of action for a few days. ba%ls

am pretty convinced that sitting cross legged on this for 3 hours at dinner last night wasn't the best move for the knee.

20140806_202549_zpsqv89zf4x.jpg

that said, much improved last couple of days, will rest it till i get back and then back at it

while i;ll give out about the seating, no complaints on the food, 2kg drop in weight while in japan but was eating everything they put in front of me, which in japan can be a lot of things..:)

no running for the rest of the week n japan, decided to let the knee heal. got back late saturday night, sunday saw me wheeling out the road bike for a 2 hour spin. was obvious immediately the body was struggling after the travel, the slightest effort or hill and my hr went to threshold immediately, twas at least 15 to 20 beats higher than normal. got absolutely soaked, think i hit a puddle up to the bb at one stage. still though, was good to get it in though
    http://www.strava.com/activities/178239518/overview 59.7km in 2hr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Any sign of the powermeter mossy? Mine should be shipped next week. Will you be using it for Lost sheep??

joey100 wrote: »
    Any sign of the powermeter mossy? Mine should be shipped next week. Will you be using it for Lost sheep??

it's on the delivery truck on the way to my house.

torn about lost sheep. not having trained with it all summer it could be an unnecessary distraction and blow my race, however at the same time would like to have the data.

i might just put it on and not show the data on the garmin for the race. the fsa gossamer cranks i have on the slice gets slammed for poor power transfer, so putting on the new one might gain me a bit anwyay

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

the fsa gossamer cranks i have on the slice gets slammed for poor power transfer, so putting on the new one might gain me a bit anwyay

Where did you read that mossy? I wouldnt have thought the grossamer cranks were bad considering you can get them with SRMs

ray o wrote: »
    Where did you read that mossy? I wouldnt have thought the grossamer cranks were bad considering you can get them with SRMs

a few of the reviews for the slice 105, which is the model i have, mention it, all from different sources. it's a lower end fsa crank, I'm sure the upper end ones are better.

i'm not sure it's even true, i know pushing on the road bike it kicks a lot more but it's a lighter bike. it's perhaps enough of a reason to make me switch over pre lost sheep though

My felt came with the same cranks. I have no issues with them so far and I have been using them over 3 years now. Like everything the science will show the higher end ones are better but they would be wasted with my legs pushing them :)

Enjoy the PM. I hope it hurts :)

ray o wrote: »

Enjoy the PM. I hope it hurts :)

i have every faith that the man with the plan will pull a star trek and "make it so"..:)

• Advertisement

i have every faith that the man with the plan will pull a star trek and "make it so"..:)

No doubt!

Advertisement