Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    i have every faith that the man with the plan will pull a star trek and "make it so"..:)

ha ha yer fvked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ha ha yer fvked.

it's okay, towels wipe up tears as easily as sweat.:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I would ride the PM in the lost sheep and hide the numbers, it would be a nice bench mark for winter training and gauging improvement for next season.

and don't worry having a pm does not make sessions harder (unless you were cheating :D)

BennyMul wrote: »
    (unless you were cheating :D)

not intentionally, but we'll find out over the autumn i guess

Monday

Lunchtime run, easy run to test the knee. all good, easy enough pace, 6.3km, 4:54 pace http://www.strava.com/activities/178829606

Evening swim: had one shot to get this done, straight to the pool after work, which was early enough that it was still packed with kids. advantage of being a regular, the manager cleared out the lane and i got half of it to myself. 2300m, main as 12*100 alternating pb/sw. usually after time out of the water i feel like a brick, but this was good, felt relaxed in the water and stroke was good. pb 100's on 1:35, sw on 1:40

Tuesday
    Another run to test the knee, longer this time, 45 mins, 8.6km, very easy, still no ill effects from the knee. achilles a bit sore though. been a while since that one cropped up. 8.6km, 5:16pace http://www.strava.com/activities/179264287

Wednesday
    AM Swim. long one. 3100m, main set as 20*100 mod hard on 2. arms were still feeling mondays session, but got better as warmed up. 100's on 1:42/1:43, drifting out to 1:46/1:47 for the last few. the 4*50 fast that followed them was difficult to describe as really fast, but was coming in on 0:47/0:48.

total, 3100m in 1:04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are those swim times in a 50m or a 25m pool?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are those swim times in a 50m or a 25m pool?

Worse. 17m. Only really recording them for relative measurements for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Worse. 17m. Only really recording them for relative measurements for myself

It's good to record them. I keep track of mine too.

I might be a crap swimmer but I have to say I really enjoy it now compared to 3 years ago. I look forward to hitting the pool or OW now. :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's good to record them. I keep track of mine too.

I might be a crap swimmer but I have to say I really enjoy it now compared to 3 years ago. I look forward to hitting the pool or OW now. :cool:

not really an option at the moment, but usually can get one of the weeks session done in the UL 50M pool. helps to use the longer one at least one a week.

have to agree with you there, enjoying my swimming these days. defintiely wasn;t the case when i started doing the structured sessions earlier in the year, but i've grown to like them now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm swimming in a 17m pool most of the time too Mossy. not a huge difference between my times really, my 50's probably faster in a 25m pool (I'm not the fastest turner at the wall) and around a 4/5 second difference on my 400's with the 17m pool being faster (probably becuase of more breaks). the worst thing about it is trying to keep count of all the lengths! the 1500m TT I done was 90 lengths, struggled to count it, and the garmin only goes as low as a 20m pool.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I'm swimming in a 17m pool most of the time too Mossy. not a huge difference between my times really, my 50's probably faster in a 25m pool (I'm not the fastest turner at the wall) and around a 4/5 second difference on my 400's with the 17m pool being faster (probably becuase of more breaks). the worst thing about it is trying to keep count of all the lengths! the 1500m TT I done was 90 lengths, struggled to count it, and the garmin only goes as low as a 20m pool.

aye it's a royal pain. that 20*100 this morning for example turns into 120 lengths. the whole 3100 is over 180. i;d be lost without the garmin, if i try to remember if it's 13 or 14 ou of the 20 i lose track of whether it's 4 or 6 from teh 6 in that 100.

i'm not sure i'm that much slower in a 50 either. i don;t push from the wall in the 17, but, as you say, it's more about the break every 17m, even if only for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

joey100 wrote: »

I trained for my first IM in a 20m pool. Try counting the 190 lengths needed for the full 3,800m swim. My brain used to fry. Much easier in a 50m pool.

Wednesday Evening
    Got an easy spin in, same route as Sunday, but 3km/hr slower average speed, even though there was two of us. go figure. strong winds though didn't help. Felt tired too, couldn't even break the speed limit on the measuring system coming into tuamgraney. even managed that on sunday
    59.9km, http://www.strava.com/activities/179783917

Thursday
    Another run. stayed pretty close to home as much as possible. very very easy, minding knee and ankle. sick of niggles. 8.4km, 5:19min/km. so slow http://www.strava.com/activities/180262396 , injuries alright though so thats something

Friday
    Early morning swim. 3*300, 6*100 as the main set. Swim is going well recently, feel good in the water, not fast, but strong, as strong as i have ever swam. starting to hope a good winter of training can bring some nice improvments. Anyway, this was tough, a few fast 50's before and after added a real bite, been a while since i've had hands on the side of the pool trying to catch breath, but this did it.
    2700m in 56min http://www.strava.com/activities/180506054

Evening run. Did this without looking at the watch until about half way round, when i realised i was running 4:40 pace, too fast for an easy run, backed it off, but damage done, ankle flaring up again by time i got home. it's not the achilles, not sure what it is, but will get it looked at. 8.6km, 5:02min/km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/180689061

after the ankle pain friday evening,didn't think i'd be doing anything saturday, but ankle felt okay by saturday afternoon, so a really easy 7km, very easy pace of 5:21min/km, and after a week of annoying demoralising runs this was a breath of fresh air, who cares it was slow, first run in a while i have enjoyed, and body felt great afterwards instead of being wrecked and sore.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181087769

Sunday

Long bike session and run in the plan. were heading for the in laws in clonmel, so decided to do a one way spin, but knew it wasn't long enough, so went for a non standard route, bruff, kilmallock, kilfinnane, mitchelstown, Cahir and into Clonmel. Not an easy route,, it's a lumpy road, that rough road finish that just sucks energy. notable also as my first ride with a power meter installed.

Bad start, mechanical after 15 minutes, had to call the wife for some tools. Got it fixed, set off again. plan was for hour easy, then 3* 50 at HIM pace, with 10 recovery, with 30 easy to finish. as luck would have it, both of the first two intervals came at mostly uphill stretches, and really bad surfaces.easy had been around the 170w mark. target HR for race pace seemed to give 200 to 220w range, so tried to stick to that while making sure the HR stayed where it was supposed to be

Last effort was on a flatter, faster road from Mitchelstown into Cahir, and the difference in speed was evident straight away, was flying. difference the road can make

overall, 4:17, 128km, 29.7km, but given the surface and the profile, i'm happy with that. NP was 199, average power was 170.

http://www.strava.com/activities/181609456/overview

off the bike, onto run. Run has been muck lately, so was determined not to push this too hard, was planned as 10 steady, 20 easy. Delighted to find i was holding 4:40 for steady, 4:50 for easy with no issues, run felt strong, good. delighted with that. not sure how long the pace would have held but if i'm 4 hours on the bike at lost sheep i won't be worrying about run pace anyway!!

5.4km, 4:47km average
    http://www.strava.com/activities/181609321

week had been awful from a training point of view, so was happy the weekend went well. Nice boost, well needed. Looking forward to Lost sheep now again

Monday
    Lunchtime run, very easy 6.1km @ 5:10min/km pace. Felt good, nice and slow, no real effort needed.

Evening Swim: 2500m, min as 4*50 fist, 7*200 pb/sw, 4*50 fast. nice steady effort, enjoyed this swim. Swim quickly gaining parity with the other two in terms of enjoying sessions

At this stage, not had an alcoholic drink since the holidays in early July, focusing on Lost sheep. thought struck me two more weeks and the last big race of the season is over, and can look forward to a beer after enjoyable sessions like tonight, for a few months at least

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

At this stage, not had an alcoholic drink since the holidays in early July, focusing on Lost sheep. thought struck me two more weeks and the last big race of the season is over, and can look forward to a beer after enjoyable sessions like tonight, for a few months at least

your taking this tri lark way too seriously:D:D

Pmaldini wrote: »

just makes the post race ones alll the sweeter. :)

not got your own log to ask you in, so will do it here

all set?

not got your own log to ask you in, so will do it here

all set?

I think i am, i dont feel i have half enough done but i suppose thats normal, i'm carrying a bit of a foot problem which has affected my running lately but im not going to let that stop me now, just want to get to the start line now and see what happens from there!!

I think i am, i dont feel i have half enough done but i suppose thats normal, i'm carrying a bit of a foot problem which has affected my running lately but im not going to let that stop me now, just want to get to the start line now and see what happens from there!!

trust the work. easy for me to say having never done an IM, but it's obvious from the SBR log the hours are done. at this stage it's about enjoying the race. no point doing all that work and not enjoying the day

• Advertisement

trust the work. easy for me to say having never done an IM, but it's obvious from the SBR log the hours are done. at this stage it's about enjoying the race. no point doing all that work and not enjoying the day

Cheers Mossym, i'm looking forward to sunday with a mix of excitement and anxiety, i will race(the wrong term for my level) with a smile on my face and take it all in

Tuesday Bike
    Turbo session, just cause it worked time wise. some easy, some builds, some sprints, and some BG sessions. done to a couple episodes of Scrubs, thanks to Netflix.
    45 mins, 20km ish

Wednesday Morning swim
    2100, some HIM efforts. arms were tired and groaning from the start, and didn't improve much. felt rough and clumsy in the water. back down to ground after a few decent swim sessions.
    2100m, 48 mins

Lunchtime run
    after a lot of conversation on twitter about easy run paces, out for a 30 min easy run. held to a very easy pace, HR well under control. few builds in the middle, felt good. 5.9km, 31 mins. felt good, very easy

Thursday, easy hour on the bike, no computer, no hr monitor, just easy spinning.

Friday
    Early swim, 2500m, felt a lot better than wednesdays swim, felt like i was crusing nicely.

easy 30 min run at lunch, ended up running with a guy at work, kept it easy but with the chat wasn't watching the pace and it turned out a bit hot, but felt good so won't sweat it. stupid hr monitor acting up again. sick of the thing at this stage.

http://www.strava.com/activities/184219344/overview

Saturday
    2.5 hours on the bike, 2*30 minutes at HIM pace in the middle, nothing much to report only it was bloody cold heading out at 8.30. hands were in a serious amount of pain with the cold until an hour in.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/184217520

15 minute easy run off the bike, i swear the 30 minute steady run after 4.5 hours on the bike last week was easier than this.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/184217430

Wow, didn't realise i was so far behind, time to get caught up, and then get the report for the last tri of the season done.

Saturday evening, after the run, the ankle flared up again. was supposed to do a run on Sunday, but it was scrapped. no point pushing the ankle when it was already sore.

By monday it was okay, so 2000m swim, and a 30 minute run, very easy

Tuesday was an easy hour on the bike, done easy on the turbo

Wednesday, swim in the morning, 1600m, slight tweak in the back, a standard complaint with me, so kept it easy. Evening was short bike and run with greater than RP efforts. Was feeling good, knee and ankle were behaving, so these sessions went well. By this point i was getting excited about the race.

Thursday was off. After a scan with the wife(she's 7.5 months now) i headed for Kenmare. got down to howling wind and rain. not very nice. fingers crossed it was going to improve.

Friday morning i met bth for a quick spin and a run, just to freshen the legs. nice to have some company for this. Followed up with a swim in the local hotel, 1400m pretty easy, and then it was relax. and relaxed i felt, nerves were good, was looking forward to the race.

that gets me to the night before the race. Will get that done in the next post

Friday evening was registration, picked up the number and goodie bag, signed in, grabbed some dinner, and came back for the briefing. Nothing really unexpected in it, Ditch giving his usual warnings about DQ’s. Finished up, home, put the numbers on the helmets and hit the bed.

Alarm went off at 5.15. Up, tri suit on, grabbed some porridge, couple of bananas and some coffee. Collected all the gear, and head off for the race. Lots of bikes heading quietly through the ever brightening morning. Not a lot of chat going on.

Through bike check, racked the bike. #10, which put me at the bike exit, but meant a very long run in bare feet from the swim exit. Neutralized transitions take into account running with the bike, but not running with bare feet after the swim.

Racked the bike, set up the gear. Quick run to get the legs moving. As transition closed I pulled on the wetsuit, and headed for the swim entry. Waiting around a while, lots of chat with a few others. BTH was looking calm and relaxed. Bennymul looked how I felt, little nervous, and trig looked like he didn’t know where he was 

Finally, time to get in the water .Bouys looked a long way away. Really long. In, decent warm up, back to the start, waited for the usual attempts to get people to back up, then finally, as they always do, they give up and shout go, and we were off.

Swim started well, found water, stroke feeling good, moving well. That carried on for about 5 mins, when bang, got an elbow/kick/something in the eye. Enough to stop me dead, head ringing, couldn’t see for a second. Later realized it had actually been enough to cut, nice little cut under the eyebrow. Explains the pain. Anyway, got going again and headed for the first buoy. Came into it tight, and it was a real scrap, lot of people fighting to get around. Cleared it, headed for the second buoy. By the time I reached it felt like I had been in the water a long time.

We’d been told to sight on the white house on the way back in, but with the sun coming up I couldn’t see a thing, so sighting was a bit off, maybe didn’t take the fastest line back in, but eventually after what felt like an age made it back into shore, and up the slipway.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/187506373
    Out of the water in 32:33, 106th /305 overall, 24th /77in my AG

Did the long run through transition, passed BTH getting ready(thought he’d be long gone), feet getting battered from the run on cold wet feet. Decided to go with socks, pulled them and the shoes, meant to put on a jersey but don’t usually and forgot all about it. Out of t1 and onto the road
    3:27, 159th overall, 45th in my AG

Bike started okay, kept the effort steady and under the planned level for the first couple of km then started to push a bit more. Was using the PM to keep the effort in check, and it was keeping me from driving too hard up the hills, but that didn’t help the frustration as people passed me, obviously pushing hard but still passing me out. BTH went past me early, after he finally got his hair fixed right and got pretty enough to head out on the bike

Up over the first climb, descended past a poor racer lying prone on the side of the road. Reminder to be careful. Hit healy, stuck to the planned power level, people passing again, but passing a good few at the same time. Knew I could go up it a lot faster, (and have, as Strava told me afterwards), but knew blowing everything on the bike wasn’t going to help later. My first half was a good lesson that just because you can go faster doesn’t mean you should..

Over healy, started the descent. Had contemplated racing on the road bike as I can descend much faster on it, well Saturday I don’t think there would have been much in it, nobody passed me going down the hill and I took a lot in front of me, fastest I have ever descended on the tri bike.

Pushed on into glengariff, up Caha . passed a few, then found myself behind someone who was keeping pace with where I wanted to be, so tucked in the right distance behind and got up to the top, started the descent and passed out the guy in front, next thing got a serious wobble from the bike, was sure I was about to loose it, was picking a part of the mostly rock ditch to crash into, but managed to keep it upright and stopped. Was sure it was a flat but after checking realized everything was fine, just a really bad speed wobble. 4 people passed me while stopped, but after getting moving I flew past them on the descent again, hit the flat into kenmare and like most took advantage of the tail wind to hold some nice speeds into Kenmare.

14900356809_777c6a178d_o_zpsb219dfe8.jpg

Was two negatives on the bike. First, the ankle niggle reared it’s head soon after starting, but seemed to clear up as I went on. I wasn’t too worried about that one as I knew I could run through it. Much more worryingly, on the run into kenmare, the knee niggle came back full force. That was a real worry, cause I knew it would seriously affect my run.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/187512299
    Bike: 2:52:42, 155th overall, 42nd in my AG

Long long run in t2, all the way down to the end of transition, then all the way back up. Runners on, gels grabbed, hat on to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Family were at the exit from t2, so after a quick kiss from my little girl I headed out on the run.
    4:36, 186th overall, 47th in my ag

The run
    Knee felt surprisingly okay as I headed out, but within a km the pain was back full force. Felt really good heading out. First km was holding 4:40 no problem, and was holding myself back at that. Hit the first of the hills then and with it the pain, and suddenly the run became everything but easy. As I got out to the turn around point at 7 or 8 km the knee pain had pushed me from a run into a shuffle, trying to keep the right leg as straight as possible. Long run plan is 19:30 run 30 sec walk, was using this get gels on board, but found starting to run again after the walk was killing the knee, it was tightening up even in the 30 sec break. Was walking the breaks and the water stops and feeling it every time I got going again

14900477597_4f97916419_o_zps275da0d4.jpg

that's me and bennymul bitching about how tough this was.:)

At this stage I knew hitting 5:15, which was the goal, was gone. Still though, kept pushing as hard as I could, but there was little left in the tank. I’m not sure even if the knee hadn’t flared up I’d have hit the 5:15, but will never know. Held the best pace I could, and suffered up the hills. The last one though, the one everyone talks about, that did for me. I was forced down to a walk. Crested it, and knew I had to get running again, so off I went. Pretty much held a slow pace into kenmare, and was very grateful to see that finish line. As I got up to it a little ball of brown hair and big smiles appeared out of the crowd with hand raised. Rachel wasn’t going to miss her usual trick of crossing the line with me, so over we went. First half IM done.

unnamed_zps46211c66.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/187512219
    Run: 1:53:52, 144 overall. 42nd in mg AG.

Overall: 5:27:11, 135th overall, 38th in my AG.

So top half in overall and in my AG, but that wasn’t the goal, and doesn’t really matter. I didn’t hit the goal time, but I crossed that line with nothing left, that was all I had in me, I might have got the execution/pacing wrong but that’s something to work on for another day. I’m happy with that time, given it was my first half, but I know it can be better. And that’s a good way to finish the season, as it sets up the hunger to work hard over the winter. I’m pretty confident with work I can take a solid chunk off that time,

Did I enjoy my first half? No, I loved it. Maybe not if you’d asked me in the last 30 minutes, or the first 10 after the finish, but all the way up to that, and afterwards, it was superb. I like that distance, it feels like a good days racing. Sprints are just a buzz of energy, lots of speed, but over so quick it’s like you hardly have time to settle in to anything before it is done. Oly and Half at least give you the chance to enjoy the race. After all the build up being out that that much longer just seems to make it more worthwhile.

and at the end of the day, some people think you win every race you are in no matter what

image2_zps6150289b.jpeg

And so ends tri season 2014, which I’m chalking down in the win column. 4 races I am absolutely delighted with, Joey Hannon, Killaloe Boruman, HotW and Lost Sheep, one that was hit by illness in Cutra but still a good learning experience, and a lot of other smaller races. I hit levels this season I didn’t think I’d ever get to, which has validated in a huge huge way the decision to go with a coach, so cheers to Dave to all the work, advice and support over the year. When I picked the title for this log I don’t think how apt it really was, but it’s dawned on me now, and I’m sure after all the questions he’d agree. I see people start a different log for every year, but the title of this one remains more relevant now than when I started, so I’ll keep going with this one. Last year when Dave asked me what my goals were I hadn’t a clue other than be better. Goal achieved. I think the goals for next year will be a bit more specific, but the approach will be the same. A lot of learning and a lot of work to be done. Bring it on

Training will be a bit sporadic over the next few weeks as take a bit of a break. also need to get ankle and knee seen to, so hitting the physio tomorrow to get them looked at

That said, was back in the pool this morning before work, easy 2km, done as 100sw/200pb/300sw/400pb/400sw/300pb/200sw/100pb. body still tired, wasn't the best session but feel better for having done something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

love the face on Benny, he looks like he saw a ghost!!! Well done on a great season Mossy

great race Mossym and a great season overall, enjoy the unstructured training for a while and get the injurys sorted and you will be back much stronger next year.

great pic of you and bennymul, he would have pushed Trig if i hadnt taken his wetsuit to Copenhagen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Benny is another ginger - who knew!

Kudos on a good year - you came on in leaps and bounds

• Advertisement

cheers gents.

injury update. physio has spoken, nothing serious, couple of weeks rest for both niggles, some work and i should be fine. right time of year for it. no run/bike for that time though

wife away all day saturday, would have been perfect for a nice long spin. Typical

Advertisement