Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    cheers gents.

injury update. physio has spoken, nothing serious, couple of weeks rest for both niggles, some work and i should be fine. right time of year for it. no run/bike for that time though

wife away all day saturday, would have been perfect for a nice long spin. Typical

What is the main injury? must be serious if prescribing weeks of rest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What is the main injury? must be serious if prescribing weeks of rest?

tweaked some tendons in the left ankle, pain in right knee. one is from compensating from the other, not 100% sure which. not as bad if it sounds, if my race season wasn't over i probably could have worked through it, but with everything done giving it a bit of time to heal before getting back into training seems a better move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great report, mossym - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just catching up - very well done!!! :) And take it from me, be very careful what injuries you work through in training. !!!! I tried that approach with my hip flexor and all it got me was a very painful Boston, two months off from running, and a scratch at Eagleman. Mind the injuries now. Take all the time you need....you are very lucky at the timing. :)

dory, that is way too sensible talk for round here. the appropriate response is htfu and lace up:)

• Advertisement

first post kenmare run done. on physios orders too. back in there tomorrow, so an easy 40 minutes to see what is still hurting before i go in.

well she said easy run, i said 40 minutes. no garmin, just easy pace for 40 mins 2 laps around the ind estate where i work. felt awful in terms of form, how is it possible to get so bad in a week????

felt great in terms of the niggles. for now anyway, will see what they are like in the morning, ankle especially seems to come on a bit later.

7.5km in 40 mins.

i missed running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

first post kenmare run done. on physios orders too. back in there tomorrow, so an easy 40 minutes to see what is still hurting before i go in.

well she said easy run, i said 40 minutes. no garmin, just easy pace for 40 mins 2 laps around the ind estate where i work. felt awful in terms of form, how is it possible to get so bad in a week????

felt great in terms of the niggles. for now anyway, will see what they are like in the morning, ankle especially seems to come on a bit later.

7.5km in 40 mins.

i missed running.

Don't feel too bad. I haven't done anything since kenmare. Chest still in trouble. Might try lunch time run Thursday if it feels any better. If your around let me know. I'm at work for the week

Trig1 wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad. I haven't done anything since kenmare. Chest still in trouble. Might try lunch time run Thursday if it feels any better. If your around let me know. I'm at work for the week

will let you know what the physio says tomorrow. if i get a green light will likely go for a run thursday at some stage alright

Starting to get back into something a bit more regular the last few days.

Friday morning was back in the pool. 1800m, done as steady 200’s, alternating pb and swim. That evening was up with the shop keep in the west to look at some shoe/gait stuff. Terrific service as always, few tweaks to be made and we’ll sort them this week.

Saturday, two ladies were getting their hair cut, so went with them, went for a run while they were there, then collected the little one and we went off to get ice creams and to the park while the better half got hers done.
    9km,was okay at the start but as I went on it felt awful, form wasn’t there, pace wasn’t there, was glad to get back to the start and finish it. How the hell can so much fitness disappear in two weeks?
    http://www.strava.com/activities/194016689 5:18min/km for 9 km
    Sunday:
    Out on the road bike for a solo easy spin. Had taken care of some overdue bike maintenance Saturday evening, race wheels cleaned and put away for the winter. Turbo wheels back on the tri bike. New tries (gp4000’s ) onto the road bike wheels. So headed off Sunday morning with the new tires, happy enough to be getting back out on the bike after the break. 100 yards down the road, puncture. Figured I’d caught the tube putting the tire on, but doesn’t look to be the case. Anyway, walked home, changed tire, back out. Figured 2.5 hours or so, so headed off on a route through clare, figuring to swing back through limerick and home.
    Struggle from the start, energy levels didn’t seem to be there, HR was high for the easy pace I was doing. Should have been in z1, was closer to or in z3. Half way round it started to get better. Relaxed into it, HR came down, was starting to enjoy the ride again, easy spinning along. Then, coming in the back road to UL, band, hit a bad section of road, pothole I didn’t see, and puncture 2. Changed that, and spun home. Was tired by the time I got home, easy spin took a lot more energy out of than I thought it would

http://www.strava.com/activities/194400892/analysis

Monday:
    Hit the pool this morning, swim still feeling good, so trying to keep the feel for the water with some easy sets. 200sw, 200pb, 200kick, 400pb, 400sw, 100k, 200pb, 100sw. real focus on kicking this morning, going to try and get the kick going between now and xmas with a view to stopping the legs just hanging there.

Lunchtime run:
    30 very easy minutes, felt a lot better than Saturday, you’d almost think I had run before. 6km, roughly 5:20 pace, but was more how it felt than anything to do with the pace.it wasn’t great, but it was closer to enjoying it than Saturday.

Monday also saw the diet getting back towards normal. My sweet tooth has been indulged fully over the past two weeks, to a really unsustainable level. Meals been pretty healthy still(apart from one or two :) mmm indian...) but overdid the chocolate and desserts in a big way. Not cutting them out completely again just yet, but back under some sort of control is the plan.

Tuesday
    Easy hour on the turbo, just spinning easy
    http://www.strava.com/activities/195478783

Wednesday
    Am Swim, same set as Monday, again focusing on this bloody kick. for one of the kick 50's i took off the fins and just kicked with feet and the kick board. awful, truly awful. no momentum to speak of. at this stage if the kick keeps the legs high in the water that will be enough for me.

2000m, 40ish minutes

Lunchtime run
    Again, same as monday. 30.xx mins, 6 kms. easy again. felt better than Monday, slightly. still, good to be running so no complaints

• Advertisement

swim this morning. thunder and lightening outside. power kept going off and on again. pool would go into darkness. only 3 of us swimming, silent except for the splah of the swimmers, then a flash of lightening would light up the pool for a split second. go from seeing nothing to perfect illumination

really surreal. 1800m done in 35 minutes. nice swim for a very different and rare reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

swim this morning. thunder and lightening outside. power kept going off and on again. pool would go into darkness. only 3 of us swimming, silent except for the splah of the swimmers, then a flash of lightening would light up the pool for a split second. go from seeing nothing to perfect illumination

really surreal. 1800m done in 35 minutes. nice swim for a very different and rare reason

At scary times like that its good to be surrounded by family

tunney wrote: »
    At scary times like that its good to be surrounded by family

By this I meant it was fortunate to have cousins in the pool with you so you felt safe.

Joke failed like the #VoteYes campaign.

a pity, cause it was well done, given the transfer from one thread to another. and across days.

a pity, cause it was well done, given the transfer from one thread to another. and across days.

Need to know my audience in future, and cater for the inbreeding. My fault.

yeah i expected more, given your frequent trips outside the pale, thought you;d have been used to the level needed.

Out today for a spin. 75km. 3 hours. stopped for coffee half way. freezing as the fog never burned off and it was cold.

but out with a couple of others, great chat, nice relaxed cycle, not enjoyed a spin as much for a long time.....love rides like that

Monday - Easy run at lunchtime. trying new runners to help with one of the recent issues(thanks mr AKW). nice and easy, 7.1km. felt okay. not good, but okay. liked the new shoes, felt light and comfortable. benefit of working with someone who knows how to pair a shoe to the runner, not just work a till.

Tuesday - early swim. i;ve been digging a trench across hte back garden for the past couple of weeks when i get some time. probably 20 to 30m's of a run, down 0.5m, through old builders rubble, enough to have the pick bouncing back up amid a shower of sparks most of the time. it;s hard, tough work, and was out last night at it after work until it got too dark to see what i was doing. suffice to say the arms were a little tired in the pool this morning. a set of 200sw, 200pb, 200k, 300sw, 300pb, 200k, 200pb, 200sw for a total of 1800m in 35 minutes.

lunchtime run today. 7.7km of easy bliss, which for the first time in a while felt easy. loads left in the tank finishing, would happily have kept plugging away. nicest run in a while. 3 laps of a 2.5km loop around the industrial estate. company for the first 2, solo for the last, so pace picked up a little but still felt easy.
    7.7km in 40:45

Right. conversation with coach end of last week. time to get going again. was starting to do a bit myself anyway so right time to get a bit of structure around it. Back to proper training as of this morning.

• Advertisement

Monday morning swim
    Been swimming regularly over the last few weeks, and although this swim was a little shorter, and no harder than those, it was still a bit different as it was the first in a while with a purpose, i.e. I didn’t make it up on my way into the pool. That said, what I had been making up were based on the sessions during the year, so it was very similar

Warm up of swim, pull buoy, kick
    Main set of 50’s with PB and fist work, 100’s swim,and some fast work
    Cool down of swim, pull buoy, kick.
    Swim is good right now, stroke feels god. consistent swimming is paying dividends. Working on introducing kick so normal swim a little less smooth than pb lengths, as I lose rhythm with the kick, but it’s just a case of sticking with it until it feels fluid again. 50's on 47/48
    1800m in 35 minutes

Lunchtime run
    Planned as a nice easy 30 minutes at lunch. Going by RPE, it was easy. Pace wise it was easy (5.20 to 5.30/km pace). But HR was about 15bpm than it should have been, mid 160’s. Had two bad nights sleep before it, (Pints after the munster match Saturday night, late night Sunday), only about 6 hours each, and had the most unhealthy weekends eating I’ve had in a long time (chipper Friday/Saturday, not by choice). Went to sleep still feeling stuffed on Sunday night, and felt that way all Monday as well. So not that worried about the HR based on that run, will see what Wednesday brings. Solid 8 hours sleep last night so taking care of that aspect.
    6.5km in 34 minutes

Evening Core work
    40 Minutes of Glute & leg work, planks, stretches. Felt good. Need to keep on top of the core work this year. Always say that though.

A busy first day back to proper training. Enjoyed it though.

Tuesday

Glute work was effective yesterday, they were a little tender today, and a bit stiff every time i got up from my chair

Turbo this evening loosened them out pretty quick. Warm up, high cadence, builds, big gear work, sprints, and warm down

first proper turbo done with the PM, can see how it will make them more effective. Big gear work was easy keep the effort steady,also easy to see i went hard on the first sprint and couldn;t hit that again on the subsequent ones
    http://www.strava.com/activities/201607264

i'm going to enjoy working with the PM. i'm also going to hurt a lot.

Wednesday Oct 1.
    Morning Swim. Bit longer this morning. 2100m all in. warm up, then main set as some decending 50's, 5*200pb, then some fast 50's. felt good in the water. 200's coming in on 3:20 to 3:30, 50's on 48 to 50. 43 mins total

Lunchtime run. Another 30 mins easy, this one with some builds, HR back down closer to where it should have been, so happy there. run felt easy, enjoyed it. done solo, last few have been others. the builds felt good as well,it's a while since i've run fast, so enjoyed these.

6.2 in 32 mins, average of 5:15min/km. http://www.strava.com/activities/201997878

Thursday - Easy Bike. Was hoping to get out on the mountain bike with some friends for an hour.Took the family to the pool for an hour(teaching the little one to swim), and missed a call and they were gone when i got home. So turbo it was.Hour just spinning.

60 mins, NP 161, AP158, L/R Balance 49/51 :)
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/604029671

One thing i noticed, Cadence was only 70rpm, thats a lot lower than i usually am. usually in the 80 to 90 range.

Friday - Morning Swim
    Warm up, some drills, then some 200's steady and 100s mod. Faster efforts taking a good bit more out of me recently as i;ve tried to get the kick working, taking a lot more energy. Finished off with some fast 50's and some BS to cool down

200's in 3:22. 100's in 1:44.

1900m total in 40 mins

Lunchtime run

20 easy @ 5:19min/km
    15 steady @ 4:32min.k
    10easy @ 5:23min/km

steady was too fast, but knew it while doing it too.Hadn't done any pace work in a while though and it felt good so just went with it. Felt comfortable enough holding it so didn't sweat it. enjoyed the run, legs a bit tired afterwards though. Will stick to the plan from now on
    http://www.strava.com/activities/202799011/overview
    9km in 45 mins

Saturday Morning Spin. Headed out with one of the lads. One of the other regulars has been struggling a bit recently, so we planned on an easy 80k up the N7, smooth and no hills if he came along. He didn't make it. So we did something a bit tougher. UP the N7 to nenagh, across the ring road, up to Borrisokane. Turned left, and took the road through Coolbawn/puckane back to nenagh. For those that know it, it's a lumpy but quiet piece of tarmac. you can never build a rhythm on it , so it's a good training route. took the long way home from nenagh. planned called for something 2 to 3 hours, came in a bit over at 3:44, with 99.3km covered(couldn't be arsed doing the extra 700m). pace was steady, HR where it should have been except for a couple of climbs and a few into the win sections. was a lot colder than it looked out, i was cold, hands were frozen for the first 90 minutes

Nice enjoyable ride
    http://www.strava.com/activities/203067156

Sunday. plan for a long run, but by late saturday night i had a wicked sore throat, awful night sleep over night, throat in bits, stuffed nose, aches and pains. Spent sunday on the couch, cold flu symptoms all day. canned the run, would have done more harm than good.

still trying to get over this cold. flu symptoms are gone. still have a bad cough though so will sit it out again for today and try a swim in the morning.

Manuka honey is great stuff....i think. i'm assuming the mileeven jar i have is proper manuka

Felt better last night decided to get back to it today. in the pool at 7, warm up, some descending 50's, then main set of 200s/300s swim and pb.
    fast 50's to finish( in on 46, 47, 48, 48. easy breasttroke/kick then to finish.
    2100m all in. by the end i knew i'm not over it yet, still pretty choked up.

debating the lunchtime run. will see how i feel

should have known myself. lunchtime run happened. In the end was an effort to sweat it out of me. effort was easy, HR a bit elevated, but was overdressed expecting cooler weather so this was a sweat fest. definitely not over the cold.

7.8km, 5:25 pace, 41:58 http://www.strava.com/activities/204930540

Bit of catching up

Thursday: Easy hour on the turbo, just spinning.

Friday
    2200m swim. Feeling a lot better. this felt almost normal. have finally reached the point where my swim stroke includes a kick by default. it still throws off the little rhythm i had developed over the last year. as soon as i go to the pb it's back. the difference in stroke smoothness is easily felt. it'll come though

Lunchime run. First session where i felt close to normal, but not fully. easy pace @ 5:25/156bpm, steady @ 4:48/168, http://www.strava.com/activities/206141042/overview 10km, 52:04

Saturday
    Easy bike, 2:54, 75km. spun up to toomevara and back, coffee included. nice easy spin. avg hr @137.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/206022233

Sunday
    Easy run for an hour, 11.6km. Busy morning with the in laws around, snuck an hour in the mid afternoon. beautiful sunny afternoon, bit chilly, but a really nice run. 5:26min/km

Monday
    Swim: Mix of PB and sw work. this swim felt a bit rough, didn't feel good in the water, even on the pb which is usually my stong point. 100's and 50's a bit slower than usual. one of those days i guess.

Run
    very easy 45 mins, focused on keeping the hr as low as possible, avg of 151 was best i could do. 8.6km, 5:33 pace http://www.strava.com/activities/207006726

40 mins core and rolling that evening

Tuesday
    Turbo in the evening. WU, HC, builds, bg efforts, sprints and wd. good honest effort, legs feeling it afterwards. 50 mins

• Advertisement

tt time in the pool this morning. course it would turn out to be the busiest day in the pool for ages, loads of the BSB, and the aquaaerobicisiers. barely had enough room to get lengths in. affected the time a bit, but what affected it more was bad pacing on my part, finished with way too much left. hit the wall in 6:56, but there is a good bit to come off that. 20 seconds or so faster than this time last year, thought it would have been more. will go out harder on the next one. my 100tt after that was around the 1:35 mark

1900m all in, 40 mins or so

Advertisement