Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Wednesday was down for a swim and a run. not sweating getting all the sessions in this week,but still not wanting to give up a chance to get them in if possible. Rachel had been staying at my parents, but wanted to come home tuesday night, think she was feeling the change, so i brought her home, and after dropping her at school wednesday morning i headed for the pool before the hospital. had missed the swim monday so wanted to get this in.

main set was 10*100 on 2, in on<1.45. Had to eat breakfast with rachel before she went to school, tradition, so this was done with a ball of food in my belly. didn't help. plus i was feeling this a lot, these were tough. early ones came in mid to high 1:3x, last few were low 1:4x but all were under the target. happy with that. 2200m in 46 mins
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/632216270

spent the rest of the day in the hospital, even got to watch a movie on the laptop with the missus in the hospital bed, one of our more unique dates:). downside was the run didn't happen, but i knew there would be some casualties.

Thursday: Easy Turbo, 1 hour, just spinning. 151 watts average. done early before i went to the hospital, left the rest of the day free to spend with the family as the ladies came home from the hospital http://www.strava.com/activities/218813789

Friday: Dropped Rachel to school, left two sleeping ladies at home and went to the pool. main set as 8*200 off 4.again found these tough. 4 or 5 hours sleep didn't help. got done though. 2600m in 54 minutes http://connect.garmin.com/activity/632847184

was going to try and get out after Rachel went to bed to get my run in. Best wife in the world though told me at 5pm to head out and get it done. tough session, 10*1 on 1 off. thought these would be tough but the minute recovery would make them okay. wrong. go hard and it takes a lot more than a minute. they get really tough by the end. again the sleep didn't help, but felt better than morning. these were done around the immediate vicinity of the house so i could be home in a minute if needed. this did mean a lot of u turns and tight turns, which, when you're trying to go hard don't help.

ons were
    3:38 /km,3:31 /km,3:50 /km,3:54 /km 3:11 3:45 /km,3:54 3:51 /km,3:56 /km 3:39 /km slower ones were mainly uphill or lots of turns.

8.2km in 40 mins http://www.strava.com/activities/219179646/overview

alarm set for an early morning turbo tomorrow, get it done before the house gets up

Saturday Turbo. This was tough. Wife wrecked last night, so after a midnight feed i took Hannah for some daddy time and let Gill get some sleep. Meant this was done off the back of 3 or 4 hours sleep, but if it didn't done pre house waking i wasn't going to get another 2.5 hour slot, so alarm went at 6 and at 6.25 i was out in my shed pedalling. Patton on netflix for company. 1 hour easy, 1 hour tempo, 30 mins easy. Actually went okay, didn't feel that long on the turbo unlike last weeks which felt like it went forever. Done and dusted pre 9pm and finished in time to make pancakes for Rachel, and mind Hannah while Gill got to enjoy her breakfast. Session done, brownie points banked, clear day now to spend with the family (and maybe catch a bit of the SA/Eng game..:) )

http://www.strava.com/activities/219334609

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow I'm exhausted just reading that. Feeling a little inadequate here in my pjs

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Congrats on the new arrival!

Sunday Long Run
    Thought of doing it early, but some sleep was needed. Got a window mid afternoon, so headed out. 45 mins easy, 30 mins steady 15 easy. This felt good from the off, was a cold afternoon, like running like that. Garmin acted up a bit at the start, told me my easy pace was under 3:40 initially, hit the lap button, went to 6:45 for the same pace. gave it a few seconds, lap again, and it settled down. probably went a bit slow initially, HR was low in my easy range. Pushed on a bit after about 15 to 20 minutes, and was holding a comfortable 5:10 to 5:15 still in the middle of my easy range. got through the 45 mins, and pushed up the pace into the steady range. this was i the 4:4x range. and while it felt like a bit of a push to keep it there it felt good. got to the last 15 minutes, back to easy, and still felt good, tired a bit but best I've felt by the end of a long run in a while.

happy with this run, my run is definitely coming along and can see the progression.

1:31 total time, 17.3km, 5:14/km pace. http://www.strava.com/activities/219946603

• Advertisement

Recovery week snuck up on me with everything that was going on, bit shocked when coach mentioned it. Rest day today, and only realising now how much i needed it, feeling much better for it. Timing couldn't be better.

working from home today, back to the office tomorrow. Managed to get my ride in at lunchtime, 45 mins easy spinning but did a little bit more. Hadn't been out on the bike in a few weeks so was really nice to get back out there. got a bit carried away at the start, bit too happy being out in the fresh air. realised this as i was passing out a tractor.

anyway, really really really nice 50 mins spin. 25.9km, 29.2km/hr avg http://www.strava.com/activities/220562307

have figured out fitting the run and bike in won't be hard, the roads never close, the turbo is always open.

it's the swim is the issue. always swam pre work. but now, need to be at home in the mornings to get Rachel ready for school, Gillian used do that the mornings i swam pre baby but can't now. Need to be home in the evenings till after 8 when rachel goes to bed, can get out then but pool needs to be emptied by 8.45.

so this morning i got a chance to get to the pool pre work, was packed, finally got a slot, started swimming, ended the first length, turned at the wall and ping, pulled something in my neck. Kept going hoping it would free out but no good, after 200m fc and 200m pb i knew i was doing mroe harm than good, no pain while moving head up down but any rotation and ouch. So did a couple of hundred metres Kick and called it. no point making it worse. luckily shouldn't affect the run/bike, and a couple of the extra strength ibuprofen you can get in boots inthe UK but not here should free it out.

600m of frustrating swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

could you swim at lunch? Planet Health has a 20mtr pool, i did/do most of my swimming there, they also open at 6.30 if you can get out early, it suited me last year before work as UL didnt open till 7. you would be able to get there pretty quickly on the ring road, hope the neck injury is minor and clears in a day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    have figured out fitting the run and bike in won't be hard, the roads never close, the turbo is always open.

it's the swim is the issue. always swam pre work. but now, need to be at home in the mornings to get Rachel ready for school, Gillian used do that the mornings i swam pre baby but can't now. Need to be home in the evenings till after 8 when rachel goes to bed, can get out then but pool needs to be emptied by 8.45.

My advice, give it up. Accept that for 8-12 weeks swimming isn't happening. In the same boat myself

0700 up
    0705 get kids up and dressed
    0715 kids breakfast
    0720 make the new breakfast cause they meant porridge instead of weetabix
    0800 brush kids teeth
    0810 kids out door

1830 start reminding kids that they have to go to bed
    1840 explain why its dark and why its bed time again
    1845 "no eoin you cannot bring a 1000 lumen bike light to bed"
    1846 "its large and black and turned on, I can see the light down your pants"
    1850 kids upstairs, probably using jockeybacks as bribes
    1900 kids in bed
    1910 kids out of bed
    1920 kids in bed
    1930 "very dissapointed in kids", back in bed
    1940 have dinner

Similar when Eoin was born. Add extra pre/post work runs/turbos and focus on run and bike for 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The other option is to go in to work a little later, after the swim, and catch up with work after dinner when the kids are in bed. Not ideal I know and also not always an option with employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    My advice, give it up. Accept that for 8-12 weeks swimming isn't happening. In the same boat myself

0700 up
    0705 get kids up and dressed
    0715 kids breakfast
    0720 make the new breakfast cause they meant porridge instead of weetabix
    0800 brush kids teeth
    0810 kids out door

1830 start reminding kids that they have to go to bed
    1840 explain why its dark and why its bed time again
    1845 "no eoin you cannot bring a 1000 lumen bike light to bed"
    1846 "its large and black and turned on, I can see the light down your pants"
    1850 kids upstairs, probably using jockeybacks as bribes
    1900 kids in bed
    1910 kids out of bed
    1920 kids in bed
    1930 "very dissapointed in kids", back in bed
    1940 have dinner

Similar when Eoin was born. Add extra pre/post work runs/turbos and focus on run and bike for 3 months.

Remarkably similar protocol except our bed in process is staged from 7.30 to 9.30, youngest to the jolly green giant. Sometimes sessions done before work or during lunch, for tough sessions they normally start at 9pm at night.

Just comes down to good time management.

thanks all for the advice. lunchtime/later mornings doesn't work, i'm also doing the childminder pickup for a few weeks until Hannah a bit older and more able to go out.

Will figure something, where there is a will there is a way. it'll probably work itself out in a few weeks anyway when things settle a bit

Just comes down to good time management.

mostly it does. can manage the bike/runs no problem. with the swim, the best management in teh world doesn't help if the time that can be managed is outside pool opening hours.

i do live on the shannon, midnight solo torch lit swims? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

thanks all for the advice. lunchtime/later mornings doesn't work, i'm also doing the childminder pickup for a few weeks until Hannah a bit older and more able to go out.

Will figure something, where there is a will there is a way. it'll probably work itself out in a few weeks anyway when things settle a bit

mostly it does. can manage the bike/runs no problem. with the swim, the best management in teh world doesn't help if the time that can be managed is outside pool opening hours.

i do live on the shannon, midnight solo torch lit swims? :eek:

In like Flynn, you'll need a waterproof headlamp ;)
    328945.jpg

you'd have been better off suggesting fleece booties and gloves..:)

all joking aside, several years ago while still living in the US, scuba diving was my passion. every weekend, mid week, very cold water(colder than here), didn't matter, we were totally hooked. 5 day live aboards couple of hundred miles off shore, the lot. anyway. the location in the pic below was the main training spot in monterey for new divers. plus when every other beach in monterey was washed out and undiveable you could get in here. we used do a lot of night diving with torches, but on calm nights, mid winter, we used dive here in total darkness with no torches, just the street lights giving a really small amount of light to see with. you haven't experienced surreal till your 15m deep, weightless, and using the glow of lights far above the water to see, unbelievable experience.
    breakwater.jpg

oh and did i mention this was in great white shark territory?

Thursday:
    Easy Turbo Drills. Interesting session. i've just installed a new aerobar on my tri bike(thanks mloc). 3T aura, nice upgrade from the stock one that came on the bike. and while i was at it, i took the opportunity to raise a couple of spacers above the stem and drop the bars as the pads are a bit higher on this, and after a year of racing i figured i could go a bit lower now anyway. position felt good actually, i'm considering getting the risers for the aerobars and pads and slamming the stem completely. the gap between the bars is much narrower, so that's going to take a bit of getting used to, but it didn't feel uncomfortable

got out to the shed to start this, turned on my 920 to be greeted with the low battery warning, guess i left it on after my run wednesday. so did this with the stopwatch on my phone, and no power, so by rpe. it was only steady efforts at most, so pretty sure i hit the neccessary levels

50mins overall

Friday
    no chance to get the swim in before work. so lunchtime headed out for an easy run. recent comments in some other logs had me wanting to try my kinvara's again, not worn them in 18 months or so,since the low drop caused some achilles problem, my own fault, i wore them for every run building up to my first half marathon, including all the long runs. after the race my achilles acted up, which was resolved with a higher ramp shoe, and they were parked. since then i've realised that rotating shoes works best for me, different shoes for different run types, so i wanted to try the kinvaras after reading the other comments.

my god i'd forgotten how nice they are to run in, nice and low, so light, comfortable. really nice 8km, pace as good, hr right where it should have been. 5*20 seconds fast were quick and comfortable. the kinvara's are definitely going back in the rotation, just not for long runs. stride felt really good in them

the weather was a different matter, pretty dry heading out but that didn't last and i got soaked. hooray for warm showers.
    Fasts @ 3:11 to 3:29

8.2km in 40:34, 5:02 min/km, 156 average HR(happy with that given there was fast in this which pushed up the HR)

http://www.strava.com/activities/221647430

after work wehad visitors, so i got a pass to go for a swim. 2500m in 50 mins, main as 8*150 as 100 mod into 50 fast. this really really felt like the only swim of the week. was pushing through water rather than on it, or so it felt. times were okay though, first 200 in 3:20. 150's in under 2:30
    http://www.strava.com/activities/221683305

Saturday
    1 Hour easy run. Did this early, so fasted, and by the end the hunger gremlins were going wild. Not bonking, just starving. An easy 11km, 5:18 pace, 153 avg hr. kept it local to the town and just enjoyed the trot around
    http://www.strava.com/activities/221840166

Sunday
    2 hour spin, decided to go at first light with a mate, had agreed with gill I’d be back before 11. As soon as I headed out the door I realized how cold it was. We set off soon after 8, and within 10 minutes both of us were suggesting we just go to the new service station on the m7 where they have an indoor café. We were freezing. Stuck it out though, and an hour in we had warmed up. Didn’t stop for our usual coffee for fear of having to warm up on the bike again afterwards. I’d hoped for a bit more but my friend had to be back for something at 11 and getting back that bit earlier helped at home as well.
    48.5 in 2 hours, 124 avg hr
    http://www.strava.com/activities/222221563

Monday
    One of those days you’d rather forget. Customer from japan in town, so busy all day, including dinner out. Got up at 6 to get the run in early, got 100m up the road, slipped 3 times on ice and gave up. Hoped to get it done later. During the day hannh ends up in a&e with an infection in her leg, and I’m stuck in work. Luckily my mother went with my wife to the hospital, so she wasn’t stuck with the 2 week old on her own. All appears to be good now, but I wasn’t happy being stuck in work. By the time I got everyone home and into bed, I still had to drop my mothers car back to her, so I ran back from my parents house and added a bit. Was tired and drained, so kept it very easy.
    8.3km, 5:29 pace, 153 HR avg
    http://www.strava.com/activities/222894947

Tuesday
    New turbo arrived Tuesday, an elite muin, so I got to try it out for an interval session. Session was WU. Some builds then 2x(5@100%, 4@105%, 3@110%, 2@115%, 1@120%) with half recovery. New trainer is very nice, much smoother and more realistic than my old tacx. Intervals were fine, noticed a drop in cadence for the second bunch (hit the power levels though) so will need to watch that.
    1 hour, 204 AP, 224 NP
    http://www.strava.com/activities/223238090

Wednesday:
    late night with Hannah last night. Alarm changed from swim time to later to get me some sleep. Headed out for an easy 45 mins at lunch. 8.9km, 5:09min/km, 155bpm avg.46:13. felt good, legs a little tired afterwards though.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/223383659

Post work, got to the pool for an hour. did the session that got cancelled last week by the tweaked muscle. WU, then 10*50 with 25 fists 25 fast PB, then 4*200 mod hard. surprised at how good it felt given only second swim in the last couple of weeks. the 50's were on sub 45/~45, the 200's in under 3:30. 2400m total in 49 minutes.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/223495213

Thursday:
    Turbo. 50 mins of drills, builds, HC, sprints, with the main block as Big Gear steady efforts. Proper 50rpm with the power in my steady zone. Much easier to manage with the new turbo. liking it. last drill was sprints, thought they were 30 sec sprints, was dying 20 seconds into the first till i looked at plan again and realised they were 10 second drills

50 mins, 189AP, 211 NP. http://www.strava.com/activities/223879167/analysis

Friday-Day off from work.

Morning Swim. Made up session of
    200sw, 200pb, 100k, 200sw, 300pb, 400sw, 400pb, 300sw, 200pb, 200bs.not a great session, swimming in muck not water. times reflected it as well. 7 to 7.20 for the 400's. still though, swims are the tough ones to fit in right now and it was another one done.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/223994482 2500m in 49 mins

Evening run
    45 mins, 25 easy into 5* 1 fast 1 easy, balance easy. Wore the kinvaras again, still loving running in them again. easy was good, low 5:xx, fasts in the 3:30 range. finished off with the slog back up the hill to home.
    9km in 45 mins. 161 avg HR. http://www.strava.com/activities/224104901/overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Impressed with the training you are getting done with a new baby in the house!

Substitution data mike. Nappy change is 5 minutes easy. Burping is 5 mins steady.something during the night is a hard effort. Then just add them up and say they are training miles.

Seriously, it's taking a lot more planning and effort than before, more early morning and late night sessions, but getting them done as best I can while still being around when the 3 ladies awake.

Saturday
    WU, some builds, then 4* 5 minutes @ 110 to 120 of ftp with equal recovery.

intervals were done @ ~ 280 to 285W. Held this, although it got tough. Plan was to finish this off with 5 mins easy, but had a longer window so kept going at an easy pace and pushed to 1hour 40 total as a sort of long spin. the intervals hopefully make up for it being a bit short than usual
    AP 175, NP 202
    http://www.strava.com/activities/224286702

Sunday Run
    Some intervals instead of a long run. 15 warm up, then 5*2 mins fast, 2 easy. Were down in the inlaws so did this before breakfast. toughest session i've done in a while, and one of the toughest ever. fast pace is over 180bpm for me. didn't quite get there on the first one, but the other 4 were squarely at 184/185. real hurt territory, especially for 2 minutes. This is way tougher than 10* 1 minutes, or at least felt it this time.

fast intervals were @ 3:45, 3:35, 3:50,3:49, 4:07. last one was a little uphill and had to slow in the middle so a bit slower.

was thinking of adding a bit extra easy at the end of this but by the time i got to interval 3 i was hurting big time. got through the next couple,and decided enough was enough, especially with the run streak starting tomorrow.

45 mins, 9.36km, 4:49min/km overall
    http://www.strava.com/activities/224704245

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Which version of the P2M did you go with?

ended up going with the Type S Rotor 3D. adapter in the tribike, fits hte existing BB on the road bike. the 3d+ would ahev had the 30mm spindle to match the tribike with no adapter but nothing would have made it fit the road bike then. so although I'll end up using the PM 90% of the time in the tribike it'll be with an adapter

MOnday Run
    First run of the run streak. Legs sore after yesterday, Glutes got a good workout yesterday and were stiff today. Done as recovery, very easy. I think for the first time ever i looked at my hr during a run and saw <140 on the screen, and it happened a few times.
    6.4km, 35 mins, 5:28min/km average, 144bpm average
    http://www.strava.com/activities/225145281

Evening Turbo.
    Hour easy. Thought i'd get to this earlier, but with family stuff it was 9.30 starting this, and i still had a load of stuff to get done afterwards. tempted to call it at 45 mins, but kept going. nothing but easy spinning while watching my current addiction, the american version of the office. it's superb.

anyway, 1 hour easy, AP 144, NP 146, 122 avg hr
    http://www.strava.com/activities/225320517

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ That is a funny show. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »

while i was in california i missed the UK Office hyoe, until someone sent it over to me saying you have to see this. 3 episodes i lasted before sending it back, thought it was rubbish, i just don't find gervais funny

always been meaning to give the us one a shot as having picked up snips of it here and there it looked funny. started watching it a month ago, up to end of season 5 now and it is superb, great turbo viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    while i was in california i missed the UK Office hyoe, until someone sent it over to me saying you have to see this. 3 episodes i lasted before sending it back, thought it was rubbish, i just don't find gervais funny

always been meaning to give the us one a shot as having picked up snips of it here and there it looked funny. started watching it a month ago, up to end of season 5 now and it is superb, great turbo viewing

Wow.

Both of you on my ignores list

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Isn't the turbo boring enough without watching the office? :p

Advertisement