Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hour turbo is relatively easy when you're also doing your long rides on the turbo. 2 to 3 hours makes an hour easy feel like a warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    hour turbo is relatively easy when you're also doing your long rides on the turbo. 2 to 3 hours makes an hour easy feel like a warm up

Did an hour this morning on the CT. Rode the IM Canada course. They start the videos on a motorbike at the mid of the pack and ride up through them.

Got a good feeling on what Dublin 70.30 will be like and the type of "athlete" in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Did an hour this morning on the CT. Rode the IM Canada course. They start the videos on a motorbike at the mid of the pack and ride up through them.

Got a good feeling on what Dublin 70.30 will be like and the type of "athlete" in it

Did you rehome the spiders that lived on the bike and CT:)

Did you rehome the spiders that lived on the bike and CT:)

It did take an extra 30 minutes to get set up and its about a year since last used

Tuesday Lunchtime Run: AKW December Run Streak 2 of 31.

Run number 2 of the December run streak. plan was for fast intervals again. legs a bit store and stiff this morning. first 5 minutes easy loosened them up, then into some builds. main set was 4×2@3:50 pace with 3 rec. found these a little easier than sunday, but still tough. all 4 came in a bit under the plan, 3:46, 3:46, 3:44, 3:44. 5 minutes easy to finish

legs need some work tonight, they're feeling the 3 days of running and the speed sessions. glutes in particular are playing a song i know well. me and the roller and stick going to spend some quality time this evening

35 minutes, 7.6km, 163avg hr. 4:38min/km avg

http://www.strava.com/activities/225474677/overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Wow.

Both of you on my ignores list

I thought I was already on that list. ;)

30 minutes stick and roller done. roller good for some spots. stick better for others. legs are tight. they're better than they were, so going to make this a nightly occurrence until the run streak finisheds

Wednesday - Triple whammy, not done one of these in a while

Morning Swim - 2200km all told, main as 10*100 alternating pb/sw easy. did a bit over the plan due to some miscounting, but the 100's were coming in on 138 to 1:40 to happy enough with that

no run at lunchtime, VP in town so had a roundtable. headed out for a run at 5.30 from work, 30 minutes eas, just enough to cover my runstreak requirements. legs are tired. 6.2km in 30 minutes

evening turbo, hour easy spinning, went even faster with US office on the screen and a barrage of tweets and messages on my phone, but still an hour at 145AP 146NP.

Hannah acting up a bit then so never got to foam rolling this evening.

Thursday - Interval run. another short one, but a toughie. 3*3 minutes @3:50 pace. Done at lunchtime. minute shorter overall than tuesday's intervals, but each one 50% longer. amazing how long a minute is when you're suffering. padded with some eassy and builds to make up the 30 minutes . 3 min intervals came in as 3:46, 3:49, 3:43, although the last was a little downhill so a little assisted.

30:20, 6.6km, 4:37 min/km avg, 164bpm avg http://www.strava.com/activities/226101403/overview

Friday Morning Swim
    opportunistic swim. not in the plan as wasn't sure i could get to it, so made it up myself based on previous sessions

200sw, 200pb, 100k, 4*50 as 25 fist 25sw, 5*200 pb/sw, 4*50 fast, 200pb.

not a bad session, but i'm feeling the less regular swimming. fast 50's were on 44/45, 200;s were in on 3:30. whole pool, not just the lane to myself.

Evening Run.
    nice easy 30 minutes, run 5 in the AKW runstreak. nice and easy.Started nice and easy. surprised to see my hr at 165, way too high for the pace, and for how i felt. so messed around with the strap, no good. Unzipped my jacket, brought the garmin close to the strap, and hr goes down 20 bpm almost straight away. zip back up, still fine. nice and low for the rest.

6km, 32:20, 5:23/km avg, 152bpm avg(but likely lower but for the issues for the first 5 minutes, can see the effect on the graph)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/226469983

Saturday Run
    30 minutes with intervals, 5*30 sec at 3:30 pace. recent pace work is paying off, my fast intervals are a lot faster than they used be. similar route to yesterday, but did the intervals along the back of the river. went well, tough but managable, nice and short though. run 6 in the december streak, feeling the constant running, given i ranlast day in december as well, this is a solid week of running, never done more than 3 days before.

exact same hr strap issues, with same remedy as yesterday.
    6.5km, 33:27, 5:09min/km, 156bpm avg
    http://www.strava.com/activities/226693141

Tomorrows run going to be a bit different, one way or another. lets see.

• Advertisement

Todays run was going to be a bit different to the rest of this weeks'. For the last couple of years i've done the Birdhill Turkey RUn, local race to me and one that goes past where i went to school and a load of my family lives. 2 years ago it was my first ever run race, and i finished the 10k in a cracking time of 52:xx mins. Last year i took 6 minutes off that and ended up with a 46:02, a new pb. The race has become almost like a marker for me, used to judge progress. It's by no means an easy course, very rolling at the start, and at 6km in there is a tough tough climb for about 1.2km, before a mainly downhill with some uphill bits to end.

not one you would target for a pb.

but...

there has been a long term goal, back of the mind goal, of going sub 40 for 10k. mentioned it to coach a few times recently, reckon getting close. current pb is 42:50, run at the end of kilkee last year. so when i reminded coach about the race last weekend, the plan that came back was based on two things, the december run streak, and some pace work to set me up to have a crack at this.

there was an honest conversation had at the end of the week, i couldn't see how i was supposed to aim for a 40min 10k when 3 min intervals at the pace were as tough as i would find them. part of the coaching thing that's vital though is trust. so the word was go out at sub 4 min pace and hold. so that was the plan

looking at the weather, it looked awful. cold and wet. this race has the unique aspect of the 10k start beign a 15 min walk from the finish/parking, so you freeze on the way there while wearing your race gear, as it goes up a very steep hill which doesn't serve as a warm up.

got near to the start about 15 minutes in advance, and did a warm up, some drills and some easy running. usual delays with a local race, but eventually we were off, as opposed to other years, i'd taken up station right at the front, not wanting to have to fight through slow moving traffic. i still managed to get caught for a couple of seconds behind a woman doing about 6min/k, why the hell do these people go to the front?

anyway, first 500m or so is uphill, so pace was just above the 4 min mark, kept steady, and once we got a bit of downhill going i dropped down sub 4 where i wanted to be. avg pace went up down as we covered teh rolling sections, but was delighted to get to 5km in at 19.30, new 5k pb for me, and my first time ever going sub 20 for 5km. ()must have a crack at a standalone and see where i get). by now though, i was really start to feel the pace. my LT is 179, and by now i was runnning 184/185 HR, well into really hurt zone.

then the hill. oh that hill. look at the graph and you'll see the effect it had on pace. hitting the bottom i was holding a steady 3:55 average. at one point i was running 5:20min/km on teh steepest part, that's not helping for a sub 40. normally i'm strong up hills, but a solid week of running work, first ever doing 7 days running, meant the legs weren't as fresh as they could have been, and i couldn't keep teh pace up. even holding what i held took it's toll, and by the time i got to the top my hr was steady 189(real real real ouch zone), avg pace had hit 4:i was sucking air through a straw, and the pace didn;t come back up as it should have. it came back to the low 4:xx, but not back below 4 where it needed to be to get me home sub 40. i pushed with everything i had, and managed to get my hr up to 192 on one of the last uphill sections, but the hill had taken it's toll. tired legs just didn't have it.

down the steep downhill to the end, and 200m from the finish i could see the finish clock ticking, 40:xx. i hadn't hurt this much, pushed this hard, to end up not even getting a 40:xx finish time, so anything what was left was thrown into a sprint, and i went across the line in what i thought was 40:50 but was 40:57 chip time.

so, a long way of saying i didn't hit sub 40, but still happy. new 5k pb of 19:30, 2 minutes off my previous 10k pb, 40:50, a race where once again i learnt a lot about how hard i can push, and that i shouldn't judge effort at intervals as a measure of race capability. also finished 21st of 280. top 10% in a road race against guys who run only? take that any day:)

not too disappointed either. flatter course, i may have had it. Race not in the middle of the run streak and fresher legs, i may have had it. this was a nothing race, coach made the right call in saying to roll the dice, and it paid off in numerous ways. a flatter 10km with a bit more work and lead in will be targeted(already something in mind), and i'm determined it will come .

skipped the post race feed, which is one of the best parts of this race, and went for a couple of km cool down run instead. home, some foam rolling, stretching, then snuck out to the pool for my post race recovery of alternating soaking the legs in the ice pool/jacuzzi/steam room. works every time. legs feel much better now again. tired, but happy.

anyway. 10km, 40:57, 4:06 avg pace, 183 avh hr. total of 14km with the wu/wd.

http://www.strava.com/activities/227076503/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done mossym, that's a tough course. you will smash that 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done, you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Nice PB. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice one, won't be long now Mossy.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

fair play, will be hit next year and would like to see what time you would post for a straight 5k

That's the CG reset by the sounds of it. Sub 40 only a matter of time. Well done M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great running Mossy. Nice benchmark race too.

i thought after having done this for a while that the days of serious doms were behind me. not to be, the pain for the past two days was worse than anything i had from any race, including the half ironman, last year. i'm a laughing stock at work, shuffling around the place, wincing at every step, in agony on the stairs. more than one person commented that if this is what being fit did they didn't see the point. i found it hard to argue.

been trying to work around the pain though. opportunity monday morning to get to the pool due to the school holiday, so 7am found me back in the pool, hadn't been in a while on a monday morning.

set as 200sw, 200p, 200k, 4*50 as 25k/25sw, 10*100 alternating sw/pb, 200bs. this was slow slow, stroke felt okay but just no pace. body tired after yesterday. all the 100's coming in over 1:40, some over 1:45.

2200m in 42 mins

Monday Lunchtime, very , and i mean very easy run to keep the run streak going. first km was agony, loosened up a bit then, but it was neither pretty or fun. 6.4km in 35 minutes. 5:36 average pace

good stretch/rolling session helpd a little

Tuesday evening
    didn't get out during the day, so got home and went out for a run, 30 minutes, even slower than mondays. i think i was even sorer for this. total box ticking for the runstreak, 5.4km, 30 mins, 5:47min/km avg. that's about the slowest i;ve run in 18 months.

rolling session again, but felt hugely improved after it tonight. still some pain but much looser.

was supposed to get an easy hour on the turbo in today as well, but had a migraine all day which i normally don't suffer with, and after the run decided to can it. some quality time with the missus instead. mainly feeding a 4 week old.

hopefully painfree or close to it tomorrow, running so much more fun when every step not agony..:)

I found nice tight compression gear helps.

Been living in CompressSport Quad guards (cannot get the CEP shorts I want).
    Also CEP recovery socks. I have been using CEP socks for 8 years. I recently got some CEP recovery specific socks from AKW. I am blown away at the difference. I would not dream of running in them but the compression for recovery is vastly superior.

I have the compressSport F1 tights but that just don't do it for me. Too awkward.

• Advertisement

i'm a little sceptical about compression gear, but as i haven't tried it that's completely without foundation. don't usually suffer with calves, it's usually quads or glutes. might be worth a shot.

i'm a little sceptical about compression gear, but as i haven't tried it that's completely without foundation. don't usually suffer with calves, it's usually quads or glutes. might be worth a shot.

Compression is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think the calves are the most important ones to target for recovery.

Hey you were sceptical about marrying outside the family and look how well that turned out!

Wednesday morning swim:
    2100m total. WU, fists, some pb and swim work, fast lengths and backstroke. not feeling great in the water, but swims starting to come a bit more regularily again so hopefully that improves. definitely down a bit on pace. pushing through too much water rather than with it.

2100m

evening run
    i like running in the cold. cold, wind and rain, not so much. and there was lots of rain, and lots of wind. legs felt a lot better, still a little sore and stiff, but nowhere near the pain of the last couple of evenings. seemed to have wind in my face whatever direction i went in, so fighting the wind even doing a figure 8 course.

6.4km, 5:20min/km, 145 avg hr

Thursday:Run streak continues, at least the pain was gone for this one. the legs were still tired. figure they'll be like that for the next few weeks with no days off for running. still though, good to be back to just enjoying the run rather than battling the pain.

6km, 31:56, 5:17 min/km, HR 151 avg

http://www.strava.com/activities/228355445

Evening turbo. short at 40 minutes, just as well as not a lot of time, but with a sting of 10* 1 min hard. last couple got tough. hard were 260 to 280, pushing the last one to 300.
    40 mins, 193 ap 213np

http://www.strava.com/activities/228488838

Friday
    hoped to get to the pool, but didn't happen. run at luncthime, back to some real work on the run. 10 easy, 15 steady, 10 mod, 5 easy. steady was 4:34 pace, mod was 4:22. overall was 4:44. 8.56km in 40mins. hr at 156 avg
    http://www.strava.com/activities/228626614

Saturday
    early turbo, 2 hours easy. 148ap, 150np. http://www.strava.com/activities/228837372

evening run. 30 minutes easy. gps wasn't locked when i started, didn't take the hr strap, but an easy 30 mins at 5:17 pace. Probably a bit faster as first km was off with the gps.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/228994031

on a side note, run streak having a nice affect on the weight,down a few pounds since it started.

Sunday Long Run. 80 min run. done straight out of bed, but i was a bit late getting out of bed. belly was grumbling for food even heading out. First hour was fine, except for the damp and cold, was feeling good. at the hour mark though the lack of food started to affect, energy levels just dropped, and while it wasn't a full blown bonk i'd say it wasn't far off, jsut no energy left in the legs on the way home. the lack of any tiredness or soreness in the legs once i got a feed in me supports this, normally after a long run i;d be feeling it in the legs for the day, but was fine on sunday, would have gone for another run if needed later.

80 mins, 14.3km http://www.strava.com/activities/229202330

Monday Swim
    Not a huge amount of time, so a short session. main set was set as 2*(8*25 sprint off 40). after spending all night tossing and turning about how to do 25m sprints in a 17m pool, i pushed the session to 6*34. ah symmetry and did them off 50 instead. . anyway, 34's came in on 30 or under. session felt different being faster and shorter, but felt good.

1600m in 35 mins

Lunchtime run
    easy 30 minutes with 5 fast's for 20 secs. day 15 of the run streak. HR a little high, figthing a cold at the moment. Vit c and Manuka on the case. 6km in 30:17. http://www.strava.com/activities/229640846

Tuesday:Lunchtime run. It was dumping rain at lunchtime, work was awful, big turn for the worse on something we're trying to get signed off pre the xmas break on friday, do the mood for this wasn't great, the rain wasn't helping, but easier to get it done now than any other time.

and was i glad i did, one of those runs where it felt like you were just floating on the road. forcing the pace down rather than up. started off at 5:10mark, naturally started going faster, HR still good, said i would hold at 5:00 min kms, but even there i was holding back so let the natural pace take over. 30 mins flew by, only for the miserable weather i would have loved to keep going for longer.

30:48, 4:53km, 151avg HR, http://www.strava.com/activities/229941649

Wednesday
    Morning swim. WU, 10*200 best even effort, WD.

long session this morning. bit daunting, swim been hit and miss last few weeks with the new baby, one or two times a week versus the more regular 3 i had been hitting. the previous few swim reports would suggest that's having an affect as well, lost a little bit.

set off on the first holding a pace i thought i could hold at the 10th one. thought this one was a little fast, so scaled back a little. rest were kept pretty consistent. psot swim, i'm sorry i didn't keep going at the original pace of the first one, wasn't as tired at the end of this as i expected, so more in the tank i would say(be doing this session again in the near future i'd wager)

anyway, splits came in as 3:21, 3:27, 3:23, 3:27, 3:26, 3:25,3:26, 3:26, 3:28, 3:30. last two definitely of at least, wasn't tired enough to drop the pace, that was mental more than physical. at a guess i can hold the pace of the first one over the 10 at least, but i think there could be a little more. time will tell .

overall, 3000m in 1:00. longest swim in a while. one of the better ones too though

Thursday
    Xmas party that evening, so with a run and a bike to get in, 6am found me on the turbo. 45 mins easy spinning.

Lunchtime run, lashing rain, wind blowing hard, would have been great but for the weather, you can see my hr go up every time i turn into the wind. awful conditions. 6km @5:09, 150bpm, inflated due to the weather http://www.strava.com/activities/230513717

Friday, mildly hungover, tired after 4 hours sleep, tough day at work, probably wouldn't have gotten done but for the streak, but 30 mins @ 5:23 pace
    http://www.strava.com/activities/230853652

Saturday
    Hannah struggling a bit today, didn't think i'd get the run in, but 30 minute window after dinner opened up, so with a full belly bouncing around i got 30 mins in. 6km @ 5:22 pace. really funny to see peoples reactions as they're heading into the pub all dressed up and you;re out for a run http://www.strava.com/activities/231206948

• Advertisement

Bit of a catch up to do here.

Sunday 21st
    Morning Cycle. windy morning, little wet, but had installed new mudguards on the road bike on saturday. headed out for a 2 hour spin. did a regular route. pretty soon figured out how strong the wind was. was holding mid 40's km/hr on the road to nenagh without pushing out of z1/z2.came back by portroe, lumpy road with one big climb, combo of lumps and wind made this a fight all the way home. was struggling to hold 20km/hr on the flat at times

still though, hadn't been out on the bike for a while, so was good to be out.

1:48, 58km, 28.4km/hr average

That evening, got out for a run. easy 30mins. 5,7km, 5:21 pace.very easy. legs were tired after the spin.

Monday
    For some reason local pool closed for the week. wanted to get to UL, but it's often easier to get training in while working than it is with a day off. knew this week was going to be mess training wise, so agreed an unstructured week with the coach.

didn't get out for a run until the evening. it was wet and windy, totally miserable. fire lighting at home, would have been easier stay put.
    5.9km, 5:10min/km 151bpm avg hr

Tuesday
    Early Turbo. 10 mins easy, 5*30sec build/30 easy, then 108 1 on/1off. i like this session. the ons were done over threshold, aiming for 270 to 290w. held it for the 10 so job done. these do get tough towards the end though. easy 25 mins spinning then to see out the hour.

1 hour. 175 AP, 198 NP

Out that evening for a run. lashing rain again. truly miserable. still enjoyed the run though.
    5.5km, 5:29min/km, 147 avg hr

Wednesday Xmas Eve.
    bit of an xmas eve tradition. Early morning run up the local hill/mountain through the forest. turn on the oven for the ham before i leave, ready to go by the time i get home.

steep at the start, not so much in the middle, then more so at the top. you then you have a choice, continue on the forest trail around the side of the hill or go up to moylussa on a trail, highest point in clare. given it was xmas i decided to go on hte forest trail and see the town from above, beautiful sight. no snow this year, we had some at the top last year. this year was solo though, was suposed to have company but the time of year made it tough for others

6:xx pace on the climb, 4:xx on the way back down.

10.6km, 1:00hr moving, 5:40 average pace .
    2014-12-24.jpg

2014-12-24.jpg
    http://www.strava.com/activities/232361050

Xmas Day
    thought this would be the end of the run streak. Xmas day, two small kids, santa toys to be discovered. Were heading to my parents for dinner though, so got a green light to run over instead. Had to add a bit of zig zagging to get the distance in, but it got done.

34:25, 6.5km, 5:20min/km pace, 148bpm avg hr

Stephens Day
    Last couple of years i've done the 4 mile race in Clonmel, wife is from there and we go down early on the day every year. Didn't leave on time though, in fact were very late, so didn't make the race. think i'm cursed where this is concerned. blew my hammy on it last year, missed it altogether this year. anyway, instead i headed out for a run when i got there. decided since i missed the race i'd go for a slightly longer one. run off the bloated feeling from xmas day.

10.4km, 52:44 min, 5:05min/km pace, 147bpm average

Saturday:
    Back home, leaving the family in clonmel for a couple of days.Pool back open, so back swimming

200sw, 200p, 100k, 200sw, 300p, 400sw, 400p, 300sw, 200p, 200k, 200p. 53:45, 2700m total. was okay, but you'd know i'd not been in the water in a week

evening run. headed out for an easy 30 mins. well,planned on being easy, but as soon as i got going i knew the legs didn't have anything in them, they were just dead. so dialed it back to something closer to recovery pace, no hr strap on for this so not sure what the hr was, but the rpe felt right, pace was slow but the effort was right for how the legs felt. decent dose of stretch/rolling that night

31:10, 5.5km, 5:39min/km pace

phew. up to date

Advertisement