Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lunchtime Run
    Completely overdressed, way too warm, HR way too high as a result. The recent weather meant i expected this to be much colder than it actually was, the hat and gloves were stripped off in the middle, but was still to warm. Few 30 sec builds in the middle. average pace of 5:08min/km, upper end of my easy paces, but trying to slow it down to bring the hr down felt uncomfortably slow. ended up with avg hr of 159, which is the top of my easy zone. bit of a strange run. less clothing next time/

9.89km in 50 minutes, 5:08 pace, 159 avg hr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Snap!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »

May I completely under-dressed for a similar session. (Just didn't run as slow as mossym 10.38 km, 49:20 and 156bpm)

Course with you having a 910xt we will have to wait until you turn on a computer, plug in the stick and sync.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    May I completely under-dressed for a similar session. (Just didn't run as slow as mossym 10.38 km, 49:20 and 156bpm)

Ouch!! :)

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Just didn't run as slow as mossym

few do in fairness, few do.

10.65km 45:27 152bpm....

Plus I don't have a computer to synch with. Work laptop is locked down and no PC at home :o

10.65km 45:27 152bpm....

Plus I don't have a computer to synch with. Work laptop is locked down and no PC at home :o

Jaysus who started the willie measuring competition? :P

AKW wrote: »
    Jaysus who started the willie measuring competition? :P

Some knob. me

Thursday Turbo. Done, out of necessity after a big dinner for my brothers birthday. Full belly, i was glad this was a recovery week and the intervals were only at steady. Shed was freezing though, only a degree or two, so i was glad there was a bit of work in it to warm me up. happy medium.

WU, cadence drills, builds, then 4 steady intervals. Felt good, top of my easy zone felt very easy, steady intervals at >200w felt fine too. tonights viewing was lilyhammer. Steve van zandt in a simialr role to his sopranos days but based in Norway. Very slow and droll, but very funny. not going to watch this on the turbo again though, having to focus on the subtitles doesnt work that well

overall 50 mins @ 187NP

Friday Morning swim. Hallelujah the new year resolutions are over, the 20 people that arrived at the start of january full of enthusiasm have gone back to their old ways and 3 old school regulars were all that were using the pool this morning. a regular session, the 100 to 400 and back pyramid alternating swim and pb. stroke not feeling great this morning. everything was easy, just felt disjointed, when it's been pretty good of late. ah well, won;t sweat one session. Just about got the whole thing in, had to get home afterwards and bring Rachel to childminders, usually have a bit more time

2000m in 38 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Must be a thing. I had a lane all to myself this morning for the first time since Christmas.

RJM85 wrote: »
    Must be a thing. I had a lane all to myself this morning for the first time since Christmas.

and i bet you were as happy as me to see it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

mossym wrote: »
    and i bet you were as happy as me to see it:)

Dear god yes. No more breast strokers!

Friday Intervals
    15 min warm up, then 5*2 sub 4/2 easy. easy WD.

Bit easier than the last few interval sessions on paper, but as it turns out in practise too. Did these along the side of the river, nice flat tarmaced path rather than the gravel path i've done the last few on. Fast one way, then jog back and repeat. The side i started on meant these were done into a nice stiff breeze,but not the wind we've had lately. As soon as i started the first one i felt better than last week. Was well under the target while feeling there was a little more in the tank. 2 mins into the first interval last week i was at 183bpm, this week i was at 174. the five intervals came in as

1: avg pace 3:50, max HR 176
    2: avg pace 3:50, max HR 178
    3: avg pace 3:44, max HR 182
    4: avg pace 3:53, max HR 182
    5: avg pace 3:49, max HR 183

Happy enough with those. Shorter, but not the killer they were last week.

Overall, 9.38km in 47:06, 5:01 pace, 159 avgHR

Nothing exciting today, an easy 2 hours spinning on the turbo. No efforts, no cadence work, this was kept consistent and easy for a reason. 2 hours @140NP

Best of luck. Any chance of live tracking so we can hurl abuse shout encouragement?

Actually probably best to leave phone out of equation (extra weight not required) ;)

Best of luck. Any chance of live tracking so we can hurl abuse shout encouragement?

Actually probably best to leave phone out of equation (extra weight not required) ;)

definitely not:) Carrying enough as it is:)

Aah the weight of expectations :D

Aah the weight of expectations :D

those, and the christmas dairy milk and roses:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you racing tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

those, and the christmas dairy milk and roses:)
    It seems to work in career move's favour, youll fly!

that raises a question of whether its ever really racing im doing, but im having a bash at something tomorrow alright, we'll see how it goes

Sunday Jan 25th Milford Hospice 10km
    Having had a crack pre xmas at sub 40 for the 10km, decided to give it another lash on what I thought would be a more advantageous course. Milford hospice 10km is run mainly around UL, with one long drag out on the road that passes the front gate. No big hills I could think of, so looked like it could be a decent shot at it. Wasn’t sure I was running as well as pre xmas, last few interval sessions would suggest I wasn’t, weight was up a couple of kg after the xmas exuberance and that definitely wasn’t helping. Thought it was a long shot going into it but worth a shot.

Big race, over a thousand I think. After a warm up I headed for the start line, only to find we were heading off in the opposite direction. Now I had no idea where the course was going first, but figured it would eventually get back to the main road outside UL. Took up position near the front, recognizing quite a few around me as the faster local people. Happy enough to have those in front of me, I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about them walking off the start line. Gun went, and we went. Nice fast pace to start, winding our way through the student village, out a back construction road, and out onto the road I thought we’d get to. Bit of a downhill then, around a roundabout, short up and back to the roundabout, and then we turned and headed back up the hill for a straight stretch of about 3km before the next turn. As I reached the left turn though I heard the guy ahead of me swear after going around the corner. As I rounded it myself I knew what he was cursing, a really strong headwind. Uphill and 3km of this. F&^k.

I knew if I dropped the pace I wouldn’t pick it back up again, so kept the pace up, which brought me past that guy, and I was frantically looking for someone tall I could tuck in behind for shelter ahead. No-one ahead except a solitary woman, who wasn’t going to offer any break from the wind, so I dug in and kept pushing. Before the hill the HR had been holding mid 170’s to low 180’s now it went up to high 180’s with the effort. Fighting the wind I kept going, and by the time I reached the turn I was still holding sub 40 pace, but had gone from a 3:55/km overall average to 3:58. That was starting to be too fine given how much of the race was left.

Turned then out of the wind, and it got easier, but I think at this stage the damage was already done, still pushing hard, pace now down to 3:59. Tried to pick it up, but a short uphill by the boat club killed the renewed effort. Still pushing as hard as I could, the pace started to slip over the 4:00 mark overall, and I knew it wasn’t going to be my day. We ran back over the living bridge in UL, awful bridge to run on, back up past the UL pool and back out onto the road, finally swinging back int eh road we had emerged from initially. Heading back in I knew there was a portion of the athletics track to do, as I neared the track one of the stewards shouted to keep going and I’d get sub 40, but I was doing the maths and with 1 minute to do over half a km I knew it wasn’t happening. Got into the track, got passed by a couple who had a finish left in them and I didn’t, and came across the line in 41:30.

Looking back afterwards, probably a fair reflection of where I am right now. Last 2.5km were done at 4:30 pace, you’re not going sub 40 with that. I suggested at the last 10km that the hill in the middle did for my chances, may be true, but the downhill for the last 2km of that race probably hid the drop off in speed I suffered here. So a fair result, but not one I’m happy with given the target, so work to be done.

Good reminder as well that you can’t always tell how tough a course will be from a profile. I wouldn’t class this as an easy course, especially if the wind is blowing like it was on Sunday. Calm day might have been a lot nicer, or a tail wind for that 3km.

Headed straight from the race, after a quick change in the car, to thomond. 3.5 hours standing on the terrace not great for the fatigue, but I was surprised how much it helped with the stiffness I expected.

Going to park the 10km goal for a while now. Focus on more balanced training. Although heading for the US with work on Sunday for 12 days isn't going to help there

10km in 41:30(plus a couple of km warm up). Avg HR 185bpm, max 193, 4:08min/km avg.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/245859256

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Where will you be in the states?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Where will you be in the states?

first 4 days in Longmont CO, just up the road from Boulder, so dropped a few of the top pro's a message to see if they wanted to meet up for a run, must be something wrong with my email though as not got anything back

then 4 days in California, then off to Wilmington MA for the last 4(company HQ is in Wilmington).

then home.

Will you get any boarding in?

first 4 days in Longmont CO, just up the road from Boulder, so dropped a few of the top pro's a message to see if they wanted to meet up for a run, must be something wrong with my email though as not got anything back

Give Lance a shout, he needs friends :)

Will you get any boarding in?

Nope, not even going to try. couple of the lads here were saying to me i should go as well. part of me would like to, but not enough
    Give Lance a shout, he needs friends :)

don;t mind that fella, sure didn't he have to drop out of a mile run recently?

You're probably as well off as it would only tease you and leave you longing for more

• Advertisement

You're probably as well off as it would only tease you and leave you longing for more

or leave me on crutches with a boll&xed knee after wiping out when i tried some of the stuff i could do when i was boarding properly

Advertisement