Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

mossym wrote: »
    decided to push from the start and see how i held up.

This approach is a surefire way to a) surprise yourself and b) build a picture of what you're capable of. Far too many people afraid of blowing up and do every race too conservatively imo. Fair play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

RJM85 wrote: »
    This approach is a surefire way to a) surprise yourself and b) build a picture of what you're capable of. Far too many people afraid of blowing up and do every race too conservatively imo. Fair play.

agreed, but it can be a very risky move in a big race. in something like this where it was more about the fun it the risk wasn't there.

more evidence for me that i'm better without the garmin at times. Not always mind you. it keeps me in check on the bike and i tend to ignore it on the run during a tri. but for one off run only races i can tend to have an idea what time i think i can do, and slow down if i am running over that for fear of blowing up.

only down side of not having the garmins is no splits, and most importantly, no HR. would like to have know how the HR over the 10k compared to my measured threshold of 172. well above I'd'd guess, but I'd love to know how much as it would be a useful barometer for future efforts.

switching from aiphone to galaxy s4 this week at work so built in ant+ will be a useful backup in case this happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

only down side of not having the garmins is no splits, and most importantly, no HR. would like to have know how the HR over the 10k compared to my measured threshold of 172. well above I'd'd guess, but I'd love to know how much as it would be a useful barometer for future efforts.

switching from aiphone to galaxy s4 this week at work so built in ant+ will be a useful backup in case this happens again

Not sure where, but I've seen people suggest wearing the Garmin on your ankle. That way you'll get all the info once you're done, but you get to race on feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Never realised you were a Clonmel native or am I reading your home town comment wrong? Thanks for the advice. Serious step to ensuring the consistency occurs has already been taken, one I'm pretty excited about. This year was getting my feet wet, next year is about getting a real idea what I am capable of.

Indeed, don't get home a whole lot but the 4mile is an annual thing now whilst home for a day or more over the hols.
    Hopefully get to meet you there.

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Indeed, don't get home a whole lot but the 4mile is an annual thing now whilst home for a day or more over the hols.
    Hopefully get to meet you there.

aye, would be good to meet, although a quick look at your time from last year says it would be a short meeting at the start :)

Few days update

Monday: Group Circuit Session. Start to get a bit more focused now, others are starting to look to next year and are starting to push the effort a bit. Decided to push it as well, so went from exercise to exercise without the usual break in between, which was tough but good. Legs definitely sore after Sunday, this just evened up the rest of the body. Stretching afterwards

Time: 1 Hour

Tuesday Bike Turbo Session
    normally a run day, but this week i won't get a turbo in Friday night due to cycling group xmas party, so a rejig for the week. Mixed bag of drills, high cadence, low gear, sprints, still feeling the legs a bit from Sunday but this was a good solid workout to flush them out

Time: 51mins, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/411889655

Wednesday, Morning Swim
    In the Pool first thing. Mix of Buoy work, and Kicking. All went well apart from the kicking. I don't have one, i'm all arms in the pool. Needs a lot of work. Bouy drills went well though, not timed, just focused on form

47 mins, 2000m total

Wednesday Lunchtime Run
    Packed for the day we had on Tuesday, and Wednesday was 6 degrees cooler. Shorts, no gloves, took about 75% of the way around beffore my hands warmed up. Plan called for 45 min easy with some builds, did htem early enough to get the blood flowing. Still think i'm running hard for easy, but need to review. Managed to lose my work badge down the back of the bench in the changing rooms at work, if HR complain i can tell them exactly where it is, but can't be gotten!!

Total: 46.03 mins for 8.06Km Total. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412198489

Have to say, this week is turning out to be tougher than it looked at the start:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done on the 10k PB Mossy, nice race report too...we must try meet up for cycle soon, you probably cycle my route alot...old Dublin road out to Nenagh and back??

Trig1 wrote: »
    Well done on the 10k PB Mossy, nice race report too...we must try meet up for cycle soon, you probably cycle my route alot...old Dublin road out to Nenagh and back??

i do indeed, sometimes go up to toomevara for a coffee at the shop there (can hear the gasps now, a coffee, what do you think you are a cyclist)) and back, it's a nice spin.

be well on for meeting for a spin some day, we do have a 2 week break coming up!! Are you around Newport for the holidays?

Thursday Evening Turbo
    Rubbish day at work, home and a work call from 7 to 8.30 so onto the bike after 8.30. Really starting to appreciate NEtflix, turbo time has turned into old movie catchup, last night was hunt for red october(well the second half having watched the first while on the turbo tuesday night) Careful what you shoot at Ryan, most things in here don't react very well to bullets. Brilliant.

15 Mins Warm Up
    5* ( 3 Mins Big ring Front, 2nd biggest back 2 Mins 2 Gears Higher 1 Min 2 Gears Higher 2 Mins Rest) All Sub threshold but an effort
    5* 30 seconds hard, 30 Seconds Easy.
    5 Mins cool down

Always like this session, last couple of 1 Mins in hte main set are always tough, and follwed up with some fast efforts just to vary the cadence for the legs. Came in at 1:05, just enough for me to Tupolov get blown up by his own torpedo.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412574402
    1:05

Friday Morning Swim
    I always laughed at the amount of stuff we had to bring to the pool for our 3 year old, armbands, swim nappeis(when smaller), toys, floats. As i walked into the same pool this morning with kick board, fins and pull buoy the irony finally struck me....

Anyway, mixture again today, 200 swim, then sets with fists, pull bouy and kick board. They all felt good, but then into 400sw, 2x200p, 4x100sw, which seemed okay in the plan but were a lot tougher in the pool. the 4*100 was one i was glad to get over, it wasn't timed(just as well), but was trying to focus on form and it was tough. Got through it though

2Km in 43 min

Lunchtime run planned, then cyling group xmas party tonight . Tomorrows spin could be sore and miserable..:0

• Advertisement

oh, one last update. New Bike ordered last night, decided twas time for a proper bike if i'm going to put the effort in training. So, have ordered a Cannondale Slice from my local shop, same as this

C14_700M_SLC_5_BLK_1.png

will be sticking a pair of 50mm tires on her as well, decided to get the order in now as ifi iget her for xmas i'll have days off to get some time in on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Very, very nice. Extremely jealous.

Is that a new model? It hasn't got that horrible yoke sticking out behind the seatpost.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Very, very nice. Extremely jealous.

Is that a new model? It hasn't got that horrible yoke sticking out behind the seatpost.

it's a 2014 model alright. hopefully be in by the end of next week and can post a real pic

the horrible yoke. did you mean like this one?
    Slice-RS-Ultegra.jpg

that's the slice RS, bit above my budget, not a big fan of the look either but the trek is the same so i'm sure it serves aero purposes

Yep, that's the one.

I'd still prefer yours though. Well wear.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Friday Lunchtime Run
    Plan was for 45 min easy run with 5*20 sec fast 40 sec easy. went out too fast, garmin clocked first km as my fastest ever 1km, but didn't feel fast during it. Was hungry going out, and body seemed to struggle a bit becuase of it, was tougher to hold the pace than it should have been . first of the 5 fasts was too fast, settled down after that. Was happy with it afterwards as a good workout as i had to fight it a bit
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412787480

Friday night was Cycling group night out. Feed of wine and pints. PLan for Saturday was a 2:30 spin. Tried to convince the others to tag along but no dice, so solo it was. Woke up not feeling too bad, but with only 5 hours sleep so knew this would be tough

Saturday spin
    PIcked a regular route, poor roads and rolling terrain which makes you work. very strong wind, was fighting it a lot today. Focused on keeping heart rate under control, especially on hiils where i tend to try to maintain speed rather than effort, much better job at it today .Once i got back onto the main road i picked up the effort for 15/20 mins, legs were tired at this stage, lack of long rides over end of summer was telling. Pure coincidence the spin took exactly the 2:30 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/413061373

Surprised by the low number of cyclists i met, N7 is usually a train of them on a saturday, weather wasn't that bad, everyone wussing out?

Long run first thing in the morning then off to thomond for the munster match

Sunday Run
    Alarm set, or so i thought, to get some breakfast at 7ish then out for a run at 8 to be back in lots of time to head for the munster match. never set the alarm properly, so wife woke me at 8.30 saying i thought you were going for a run. bal%s. straight out of bed, running gear on, and straight out the door. SLow 75 minute run, have a route that takes about that time, so chose that. It's a nice loop, but has a couple of nice hills to test the legs. could feel the weeks training in the legs, plus the lack of food before running was evident from my stomach growling at me. Pace started to fall away a bit towards the end, normally this wouldn't have been a tough run. Weeks training had it's effect i think

Time : 75 Mins. Distance 14.01Km

Off to munster match, stood on terraces for 3 hours, then off to my wife's workplace kiddies xmas party. 2 hours of chasing a three year old around the local kiddie indoor play park. suffice to say tired now .

Totals for the week
    Swim: 2 Sessions, 4Km, 1hr 30
    Bike: 2 Turbos, 1 Road, 69.1km (not counting turbos) 4Hr 28
    Run: 3 Sessions, 31.93, 2hr 45
    Other: 1 Hour Circuits

Total 9hr 42. Happy with that. Biggest training week yet. for now.

Big presentation in work on Thursday so a bit late getting to this..so..this week

Monday Lunchtime Run
    Runs are being kicked from 3 a week to 4 a week, so monday called for a 30 min easy given i'd run Sunday. Just before Lanzarote race in october i came back from a hard run with a very sore hip which took a few days to get back to normal, luckily it calmed down just before the race. Has been a little stiff at times since, but Sunday evening/Monday it was as stiff and sore as it has been in a while

im attributing it to the 10k effort and the runs during the week before, probably run a bit fast as is my tendency to do. anyway, the run was taken very easy, just flushing out the legs, and in fairness it probably helped the hip.
    29.45mins for 5.45km, 5.25min/km http://connect.garmin.com/activity/414422680

Debated skipping circuits that evening, but decided the hip felt okay so off i went. Cycling group is starting to get a bit more focused with the new year coming so this week was 4 circuits of 35 seconds each/10 seconds break rather than 3*45 second each/15seconds. The last few weeks i've started skipping the break between positions and doing each circuit as a non stop collection of exercises, works well as it really gets the HR going. the 4th circuit definitely pushed thing a bit harder, and a few others followed my no break lead after giving me a slagging me last week. attitude is coming right with them:)

Time 1hr

Tuesday Turbo Session
    Mix of speed drills and big gear slow efforts. Old movie of the week this week is The Patriot, not sure i really like it but netflix recommended it and not seen it in a while so on it went. Moved through the drills pretty well, the big gear efforts got tough but they should be right?

Time 55.04 .http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=362691

Followed up with a solid session of glute stretches and rolling. Felt like it helped the hip.

Wednesday
    Plan was for early morning Swim. last minute change in child minder arrangements had me having to drop off the little one so on swim for me .It'll get done at the weekend though .so not missed, just postponed

Lunchtime Run
    40 Min Run with 5*30 Builds/Easy. Have 2 usual routes i run, which fit this time perfectly, this one a nice loop. Was taking it easy, the hip felt okay but still not 100%. Got the repeats in half way through, then easy pace back home. Glad to get through with no real adverse effect from the hip
    41.29 for 8.16km, 5.05min/km http://connect.garmin.com/activity/414751249

Another rolling/glute session that night, with some leg raises with resistance band, has heled with glute issues in the past and i'm beginning to think this is related. glutes need strengthening anyway so no harm

Thursday Bike Session
    10 Min WU. 5*30 Build/30 Easy. 5* 7min Threshold/3 Min Easy. 5 min WD

Bike Threshold is 172, verified by several tests, including a VO2Max test. Well did my absolute best to get there this evening, can normally manage it no problem, but this evening 164/165 was as much as i could get without getting to a level i couldn't hold. Not sure what was going on, but from how my legs feel now it wasn't from lack of effort. Didn't get the whole WD down as got summonsed off the bike by my wife as we'd arranged to go to down to do some very important shopping for the night of Dec 24th.
    1:06. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415062816

Swim and Run tomorrow

Lastly, it looks fast at least. time will tell if it moves that way too:)

C816E033-0DB4-451C-9CDF-A863AC23D713_zpskooeydho.jpg

74B84698-2B89-46DA-923B-32EB8B5EBE57_zps9ntbh6kl.jpg

5CE75C89-26C8-4461-BEE0-621E57A09F8D_zpsgwrciwzo.jpg

Friday Morning Swim
    Mix of Drills, and a set of 10 *25Dr, 25 fast, 50 steady which i found a lot tougher than i should have. Not sure if it was missing the Wednesday Swim that did it, but just really wasn't feeling the rhythm today and everything seemed an effort. my easy seemed to be pushing it, so when the plan called for fast it was tough. Got through it, and was pleased i did, but didn't enjoy it.

In good news, focused efforts on developing any sort of kick are getting somewhere. it's a 4 beat kick/pause effort, but thats 4 more than i had a month ago. Progress.

2300M in 55 mins

Friday Evening Run
    Plan was for 40 mins with 5* 20 fast /40 easy. Family life transpired to see me not heading out the door until 8.30. Was well wrapped up, with a reflective vest on, but without my trusty headtorch. Last run in the dark my 3 year old was very impressed with it when i got home and went exploring with it, not seen it since. Carried my MTB light in my hand instead, as some of the streetlights around me are awful

given it had been 15c on thursday, the 5C i headed out into was chilly to say the least. Didn't stop the teenage couple groping each other down the banks fo the river getting very annoyed at my passing, i guess they thought no-one would pass as i got a double cry of F&ck off you lunatic as i ran past. Can't complain, twas a spot i used a few times in my youth myself:)

anyway, shortly afterwards the heavens opened, and the run got pretty damn miserable. suffered through it, and up the hill i always have last thing on the way home, and got in .
    40:32, 7.71Km, 5.15min/km avg http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415326216

Hip is definitely not right, was sore again last night. Think it's physio time now and get it sorted, enjoyed running 4 times this week and not happy about scaling back

Saturday Evening Turbo
    Had some thoughts of getting out on the road on saturday morning despite the forecast, but the weather when i woke put paid to that, really strong winds and heavy rain, didn't mind the rain, but the winds were dangerous. so decided on a 2.5hour session on the turbo while the munster match was on. Session had a mic of high cadence work, plus some longer efforts at moderate efforts. hadn't done a turbo this long before and it's not easy, but some entertainment, liquids and a few snacks and i got through it. Few complaints from the hip, still a bit sore from last night despite some rolling.

2.5Hr http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415635924

Sunday Morning Swim
    Wednesday's swim didn't get done, so while the plan for Sunday was a long run, it turned into a double day as i made up for the missed session. Plan was mainly drill work. Had my new 910xt with me, and it's amazing how much easier it is to do timed drills when you actually have something you can read time off!!
    Kick is definitely coming along. which is really positive. i think i'm going to have to petition TI to allow the use of pull bouys in races, seriously you fly when you use one of those things. the aim of the kick should be to get the legs high, if i get them as high as the pull buoy i'll be strong in the water.

2100m in 47:44

Sunday evening Run
    Wanted to get out for this during the day, but straight after the swim was a trip to the supermarket for the xmas shopping, , a quick lunch after that, then off to our work kiddies party, meaning i didn't get out until just before 7. Was very close to not going, especially as the hip was sore all day after the turbo yesterday. Sucked it up though, geared up, and headed off. Still can't find my head torch, so carrying the mtb light again. far from ideal. anyway, very slow to take it easy on the hip, as easy as i could muster. once i was out i enjoyed it. some stretches where the hipw as sore, going to try and get a physio appointment this week.
    13.01km, 1:14:01, 5:41min/km .

Weekly totals
    Swim: 2 swims, 4400m in 1hr42
    BIke 3 turbos, 4hr31
    Run: 4 runs 3hr6, 34.32km
    Others, 2 sessions 1hr 30

Totals 10hr49. Another new weekly high .onwards and upwards

• Advertisement

Not updated this in over a week. Somewhat due to travelling with work, but also due to some bad news at home which caused the plan for the week to go out the window. Somehow managed to get all the sessions done in some format, even though the motivation to do so wasn't even remotely there

week started off with a lunchtime flight to Helsinki on Monday. Was gone until wednesday, so no bike or pool work. Don;t usually cycle on a Monday, but given the trip jumped on the turbo for an hour early Monday morning before i left

Monday Cycle
    10 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(5 BG, 1 easy)
    5x(15sec fast, 45 sec easy)
    5 easy

nice variety of drills, i'm more of a spinner than a grinder(although i previously thought it was the other way around), so find the big gear efforts the hardest. training shouldn;t be easy though right?:)
    1hr03,

Tuesday Run
    Managed to squeeze a 30 min run in while in Helsinki on the hotel treadmill.Plan was to swim and run on wednesday when i got back, so this was just a 30 min effort o keep the legs moving.
    30 mins, 5.5km

Wedneday
    Home to deal with family issues. First day in 3 weeks i hadn't trained, but sometimes you have to deal with the most important things.

Thursday
    Forced myself to get going again. didn't want another day of doing nothing
    Morning Swim
    100sw,100p,100k
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25 p + 15s
    10x100 as 25 dr, 75 swim mod on 2:30
    100k,100p,100sw

Into the pool after dropping off my 3 year old at hte child minders. An hour later than usual, and had the pool to myself. Swim is really starting to come along, a more structured swim program and more consistent swimming is helping a lot.
    0h48, 2100m

Evening Run
    Thursday evening was cold, wet, miserable. One of those evenings it's hard to get out the door, but you;re glad you did. 40 mins run with some 30 second efforts. Rained hard on me at the start, but was well wrapped up . had located my headtorch finally, which made the run much easier. second half was clear and dry, running up along the wooden jetty alongside the shannon, water on both sides, town lit up for xmas was stunning, one of those nights you really appreciate running.
    0h41, 8km.

have to say that run really got the motivation going again, couldn't have come at a better time

Friday:
    Had physio appointment in the morning to deal with my ongoing hip problem. some dry needling and other work followed. I hate dry needling,but it seems to work for me. legs felt looser than they had in a long time afterwards. got the go ahead to keep running which was good, and some excercises to do.

Firday evening turbo session:
    group session with the cylcing group. but put them through the session that was on my plan.
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    3x(8 95% threshold, 2 easy)
    5 easy

Like these sessions, near threshold sessions always feel like you've worked hard
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/418289038
    50 min

Saturday Morning Run
    Family trip to Limerick planned pre xmas, so was up and out the door at 8am. was starting to get bright, but sun wasn't up. Had been a stormy night, was worried about road conditions so headed for a local running track, which is a gravel trail around sports field, custom made for running. It's an almost exact 1km loop, mainly flat but a couple of small rises. perfect for what i wanted. Only downside is the loop gets boring after a few laps.

it's a bit over 3km over, town was very quiet. got to teh tracka nd started doing the loops, as i did the sun came up, sunrise on the shortest day of the year, was one of those nice runs which make you appreciate getting out. anyway, finished the loops , headed for home. Was still feeling pretty strong, much stronger than i usually feel with 12km in the legs. would normally have started to tire by now. ran on home, few stretches, and got reayd for the madness of shops pre xmas.

time 1hr 22, 15km total

Sunday Morning Swim
    200sw, 200p,100k
    4x50 as 25dr, 25 sw + 15s
    4x50 des 1-4 on 70
    6x100sw as 50 mod, 50 steady + 20s
    100k easy
    6x100p as 50 mod, 50 steady + 20s
    4x50 fast on 70
    200 choice easy
    Making up for a missed swim during the week. This is probably my longest swim ever. Really feel like swim is improving. kick is coming along and my pull is getting much better. feel like even on easy stroke i'm moving through the water much quicker and smoother. I found the fasts tough, more so because i was starting to tire from what was before. Also, my kick gets very poor when i start to push the pace. Need to work on that

Time 1hr, 2600m

My wife dropped our little one to the pool to me as i finished, so another hour of slides and fun. Was dead proud when she decided she wanted to practise proper swimming and proceeded to do 2 full lengths of the pool on her own . her efforts at swimming without her armbands weren't as succesful, but she is getting there.

Afternoon Turbo Session
    Wanted to get out on the bike, and weather was actually allowing it, but was tight for time so turbo it was
    15 easy
    5x(2 cadence >100rpm, 1 easy)
    15 easy
    10 steady
    5 mod
    10x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    3x(5 easy, 5 steady)
    2x(5 easy, 5 mod)
    10 easy

wasn;t happy with this session, when i was finished felt like i hadn't put an honest effort in. Log file seems to back that up, HR was low for the efforts. Still, given how bad the week was, at least it got done
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/418433084
    2hr 10, 44.2km(estimated)

Weekly totals
    Swim 1hr48, 4.7Km
    Bike: 4hr, 87km(est)
    Run 2h33, 28km

Total 8hr 22.
    Got all my sessions in.overall time was down to a few being shortened, and missing my circuit sessions on Monday due to travel.

The plan was for onwards and upwards. the following week wasn't to play ball though

Xmas week
    No set program for this week, but was going to get in whatever sessions i could. Local pool was closed, as was the UL 50m, so swimming was going to be tough.

Monday Circuits:
    Usual crew, usual circuits. longer sessions this week, with 3 loops instead of 4, pushed hard as i had missed the week before. There was a box of mince pies to share when we were done.

time 1 hr

Xmas Eve Run
    Decided to do something different for xmas eve. Pulled on the train runners and headed for the local forestry path. Met one of my usual cycling crew and his brother and we headed up the mountain. Plan was an easy 25 mins run up the mountain and 15 mins back down with gravity to help. 10 mins in we lost 1 , was struggling with the incline. Bit further on, it was just me, the incline had claimed another victim. Kept the pace steady, the climb was enough of an effort without pushing the pace as well. Hit 25 mins, made my turn, headed back and met one of the lads, he had kept going when i left him so he turned and we trotted down the mountain together. When i made my turn it started to rian, and given the temperature drop it was dumping snow down on top of us, not just light snow but a decent fall. as we got down the hill the temperature climbed steadily, such that it was raining when we got to the bottom. Was a really nice run though,
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/419053768
    41m01, 7.53km. elevation gain 265m

Any thought of getting out xmas morning was forgotten by my better half. In fairness with a 3 year old it's hard to find a time, be different when a bit older. but you have to be there to see what santa brought.

St Stephens Day run

Disaster. We always go to my wifes home town for stephens day, and they have an annual 4 mile run . I did it last year for the first time and enjoyed getting a run in to offset the effect of xmas day. was really looking forward to it this year.

Registered nice and early. dropped the family off at the inlaws, and my wife dropped me about a km from the start. Did a nice easy jog to the start as a warm up, and felt good. Met Fazz at the start who was doing it too, introduced myself and had a quick chat(nice to meet you Fazz), and then lined up for the start.

Whistle sounded, and off we went. Hectic start, very quick, trying to get past some slow runners/joggers who had positioned themselved near the top. got past them, by 1 mile in had open road, and a small group of 4 or 5 around me who were doing a pace which felt like a bit of a push, which suited what i wanted, so settled in with them .Ran for another 500/600m with them, was feeling really good, and bang, felt like someone hit me with a stick in the back of the thigh. I've watched enough sport, and seen the telltale break of pace and sudden hopping not to know what it was, plus i'd done the hamstring on the other leg a good few years back.

tried to keep the leg moving in a faint hope it wasn't that. no good. stopped, and hobbled over to the side of the road. walked along till i met a marshall, borrowed their phone and called the personal emergency vehicle. Had to walk another mile or so before i could get picked up, with the full depression of a month out of training hitting me. home and ice on straight away. My first ever DNF, but the cost is more than that

Was really happy with how the run was coming along, the run up the mountain xmas eve and the long run saturday were as happy with my run as i've ever been. so this sucks big time. Can only think the warm up wasn't enough for a cold day, and pushed too hard on cold muscles. Stupid for a nothing run, but the pace felt good and i didn't think i was pushing beyond my limits.

From how it feels, running and biking are out for the next couple of weeks. Swimming might be an option in a couple of days. In one way it's not a bad time for it to happen. It's mid winter. loads of time to race season. Plus i go to vegas in 10 days for CES, and training while there would have been next to impossible. so i'm ambitiously hoping i'll be back running soon after i get back. Even if i can just get back on the bike at that stage i'll be happy. Have a new tri bike sitting here that i've never been on.

so core work for next few days, and hopefully some swimming as soon a i can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

****e..thats a balls, your training was going well too!! anyway take care of it and make sure its right before you get back running- you might be able to cycle in a week or 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Way to put a positive spin on some really bad luck. Best to you....and mind that hamstring. :)

Crap luck!

Need someone to mind that fancy new bike ;-)

pointer28 wrote: »
    Crap luck!

Need someone to mind that fancy new bike ;-)

really appreciate the kind offer, but reckon it'll keep just fine till i can get back on it. hopefully won't be long

God loves a trier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Crap luck man! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Give me a shout if you want a spin on the MTB when you are ready again

Thanks for the offer of help on the SBR too. I'm sending you a PM with the link and an idea of what I'm trying to achieve

• Advertisement

So a bit mroe upbeat post.

Saturday: Core Workout
    Tyring to keep all pressure off the legs, so a 40min upper body/core workout. Something i should have been doing more of lately, but never seem to get done. given how limited my workout options are it leaves me loads of time to get these in now. So 40 mins weights, core work, anything i could manage without putting stress on the leg. Hopefully can get back in the habit of doing these sessions and keep them up to some extent when i get back to full training

Time: 40mins

Sunday
    Some real training at least. Back in the pool. No kick work, but a solid 1500m of Swimming/Pull buoy work. Nice steady effort, with some fast intervals thrown in. Felt really good to be doing something. Leg held up perfectly, no pain, so taking that as a sign swimming is a go. Now planning on the pool every morning for the next week. it'll keep me sane at least. Will back that up with core sessions and i'll at least feel like i am accomplishing something

35mins, 1500m total

Advertisement