Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great start to the year mossym, a 41:05 run is impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That Rachel is SO adorable!!!! And congrats on your result!! Whoop whoop!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pointer28 wrote: »
    Well done Mossy.

Especially keeping your head after what happened and not letting it ruin your day.

Impressive times too, 1:03 40k TT and a 41:05 10k would be more than respectable on their own, let alone as part of an Olympic Tri.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great start to the year mossym, a 41:05 run is impressive!

much as i'd like to take the plaudits, the bike wasn't a full 40k, and i'm pretty sure the run was short by a couple of hundred metres. either that or my garmin is out, but pace versus time suggests not

https://www.strava.com/activities/292834869

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Well done Mossy, you looked very comfortable for a guy who hit the ground earlier in the day, super result, it wont be long before you are hitting the dizzy heights of top 10, unfortunately we could do nothing with the run course this year as there was a big tag rugby tournament going on at the pavilion side so we couldn't use the main campus road and had to bring ye down the boreen road. i spent saturday evening spraying and filling in potholes:eek:

ah that explains the run change, couldn't understand why they changed what had been a really good one. makes sense now. fair play on the effort the whole club put in (my main issue with the run course was that bloody hill :) )

once again LTC put on a great race. and the pair of cycling gloves were a great idea too, had been considering getting a new pair for the summer and low and behold arrived to registration to be handed a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Great report and great race Mossy. Nice pic of yourself and the little one on fb too

• Advertisement

Monday
    Tired body dragged to the pool. Stiff. Sore. Nice easy swim was just the ticket, 1900m all in, 100’s with the PB as the main. Felt better for it. Better, but still a tough day.

1900m in

Tuesday : meant to be an easy spin. Junior athletics straight after work. Home and had to put Rachel into a warm shower as she was freezing after being caught in heavy hailstones. Caught then doing another job for another 2 hours. Never got to planned bike

Wednesday:
    Morning Swim. 3100m,with the main as 10*200 sw/pb mod off 4. good swim. best I’ve felt in the water in a while, felt in control and strong all the way through. 200 swim on 3:21, 3:14. 3:19, 3:20, 3:22, pb on 3:11, 3:09, 3:09, 3:13, 3:18. Happy with that, over the 3km it felt like a good solid workout,

Lunchtime run: HR strap on the missing list since race on Sunday. So done by RPE. 9km @ 4:49 pace. Legs protesting a bit towards the end, more tired than anything. Still a bit of recovering to do from Sunday I think

wow fair bit to catch up on.

Thursday Evening: Turbo intervals, 4* 8 minutes at roughly ftp, 266W. came in as 271, 272, 274, so little above targets.
    Happy with how this one went. Bike going well at the moment.
    233w Ap for the session, 1hour in total

Friday
    Morning Swim: had to cut the planned session a little short, was on childminder drop sohad to be gone out of pool in 40 mins. even got there early to get as much in as possible. no warm down done. but the main part was 12*100 steady to mod, came in on 1:33 to 1:37 for first 9, drifted out a bit to 1:40 then. with warm up that still came in as 2200m all told.

Lunchtime run
    has been eyeing this all week. 3 * 10 minutes fast with 5 recovery. knew this would be an ouch session, and it was. 5 minutes warm up, then got moving. really windy day, and one of those days where you seem to be fighting the wind whichever way you are headed .first 10 @ 3:51 pace felt okay, getting tough by end. during the 5 mins recovery passed Bennymul going the other way. into the second and the wind and terrain against me, 3:54 and it was a struggle. with 40 seconds left came on a funeral, so out of respect slowed to a walk as i passed. 5 mins recovery, and the last 10 started with a hill and a full on head wind. killed the pace from the offset, was a real struggle. added on another minute at the end to cover the bit i missed in the second one. this one came in at 4:06, slower than target but that was more down to conditions than lack of effort.

really tough one this. 12km in 52 mins, 4:24 pace.

Left Hamstring in bits after this, very sore and tight. rolled and stretched that evening but not a lot of relief

Saturday Bike
    awful weather out, so done on turbo. 30 mins in i knew i should have headed out. this was to be easy, but very unlike me was struggling for motivation on the turbo. been doing long turbos all winter no issue, but this was a real slog. hamstring getting sorer and sorer more i went on didn't help either. planned for 3 hours, by 2:30 the hamstring was annoying me enough that i called it. lots more work with the tiger tail that evening seemed to do a bit alright, felt a little better, but still sore in both movement and to touch.

Sunday: Great Limerick Run HM
    like doing this race, even as a training run, given i went to school and college in limerick. this year however decided to have a go at it, so although there wasn't any focus on it the plan was to give the half marathon a proper effort, hopefully coming in under the 1:30 mark. as with joey hannon the week before, the forecast was a bit more pessimistic than the actual weather, and we lined up in nice sunshine.

decided as it was a nothing race to go for broke, and with 4:15 the target pace for 1:30, i headed out at sub 4:10 pace. knew it was a gamble, but figured i'd roll the dice and surprise myself.

we had a pretty strong headwind for the first few Km out to rossbrien. then the few climbs outaround churchill meadows/church road, so by the time we went through the industrial estate i was starting to feel it. held the pace back into town, but as we headed out towards thomond i was starting to struggle. the sore hamstring was kicking up again here, last thing i needed. the climb by the gaelic grounds slowed me, and coming up the other side the 1:30 pacer went past me, even though i had been well ahead of him at one point. tried to stick with, but after 500m to a km he pulled away and i couldn't stick with him. run in then was done by myself, knew the 1:30 was gone so grabbed the little one from the crowd at debenhams and she ran up o'connell street with me to a great reception, her third and probably last year doing it with me.

Crossed the line in 1:31:37. likely would have beat the 1:31 mark without the little one, but made no odds at that stage.last couple of km had been at the 4:40 mark. too slow. if this had been a target race and hadn't trained up to it would probably have had the extra bit in the tank to hold the pace, but that's irrelevant, if nothing else this was a good fast training run and good experience.

Previous Half Marathon PB was over 1:47. knew i'd well under that in me, so now have a new nice target to best. 1:31:37, new HM pb by 16 mins.

24 or so km including the warm up.

Monday
    plan said recvery spin, so headed out with a mate for an easy spin. nice relaxed 70km, lovely bright sunny morning until the last 15 mins, heavy shower just to make the last few km home miserable.

70.8km, 2:33 moving, 27.7km/hr average

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice try - sub 1:30 is one I will be trying in the Autumn if I am still going. I reckon I have the endurance at the moment but not the speed, you are probably the opposite, plenty of speed but a little lacking in the endurance. Early days yet for you though - things looking good for Kenmare!

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice try - sub 1:30 is one I will be trying in the Autumn if I am still going. I reckon I have the endurance at the moment but not the speed, you are probably the opposite, plenty of speed but a little lacking in the endurance. Early days yet for you though - things looking good for Kenmare!

nail on the head there CW. stamina not at the level to hold the pace. it'll come:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

mossym wrote: »
    decided as it was a nothing race to go for broke, and with 4:15 the target pace for 1:30, i headed out at sub 4:10 pace. knew it was a gamble, but figured i'd roll the dice and surprise myself.

Big difference over 21k! Do you think a more conservative 4:15 pace from the start might have got you home under 1:30?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Big difference over 21k! Do you think a more conservative 4:15 pace from the start might have got you home under 1:30?

possibly. finished much stronger at the 10 mile a few weeks back as i started slow then got quicker as the race went on,so the same tactic here may have worked better.

was good as a learning experience though. if i'd have come in just under the 1:30 with anything left i'd have wondered what would have happened if i'd gone a bit harder. there was a couple of other reasons for pushing it, so i don;t regret it.

given the A race has a half marathon at the end, no harm in finding the limits on this one.

pretty sure the 1:30 is there on another day, so not too stressed about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

possibly. finished much stronger at the 10 mile a few weeks back as i started slow then got quicker as the race went on I dropped AKW ,so the same tactic here may have worked better.

FYP :)

AKW wrote: »
    FYP :)

dropped has very negative connotations.

i prefer to look at is as we followed different pacing strategies

Tuesday - Lunchtime run. praying no-one had a camera,as this was ugggglllllyyyy. Sore stiff legs, zero energy. legs felt fine on monday, but today were in bits. nothing more than a 30 minute plod around. Pretty sure form was awful.
    5.97km in 31.07, 5:13 pace, 146 avg HR

Wednesday morning swim

legs feel a bit better today. still dead, but not so sore. in the pool first thing. warm up, some fast 50's, then 15*100 on 2 best even pace alternating pb/swim. read this as keep them all even, so the PB lengths were a bit easier than the swim, but all came in 1:37 to 1:39. fast 50's to finish, couple of seconds down on the first set. warm down then

2800m in 44 mins.

that pace definitely says i left time behind at joey hannon. even with the switch to longer pool, i shouldn't have been 2 mins slower than this pace. ah well

Wednesday Lunchtime run.
    3*10 minute intervals. Legs were still cooked, no more stiffness/pain but no energy in them either, so while the effort was there for these the pace was down a bit. The other factor was the wind, i had a look at the wind direction before i left and tried to be smart, went against it at the beginning to have it behind me for the last one. Was so strong on the first i thought it was going to stop me at times. had to push hard to keep movement even going. second one not quite as bad but still a real struggle, and by the time i turned to run with the wind i must have hit the only sheltered bit of road around, the leaves weren't even fluttering.intended paces was 3:50min/km ish, first was just under the 4 mark, other two just over. given the conditions of both legs and outside, not too bad

All the lunchtimes runners in our place giving out about the wind. Brutal

11.95km, 54 mins, 4:31 pace overall

Thursday evening bike: 5*5 mins @110%. legs still tired, so these were harder than i expected. thought i had hit all the targets, but when i checked afterwards, off a target of >292w, these came in as 300, 296, 292, 287, 298. Not sure what happened that fourth one, treated it exactly like the others and didn't think it was low. must sep up avg lap power on the computer in future. no reason i couldn;t have upped it a little if i had known it was low

overall: 231W for 50 mins.

Friday Morning Swim

tasty looking set with a main of 3*400 mod hard. Nice one to test the stamina. Figured get the effort for the first one right, then see how the next 2 went. First came in on 6:55, under the 7 so happy enough with that. target then was to keep the following 2 under 7, which happy to say i did, improving with each, 6:53, 6:52. The 6:53 should have been faster, some idiot jumped into the lane right in front of me so lost 5+ second standing up and glaring at him till he moved.

Very happy with this swim, wasn't dead by the end of any of these and felt like could have held that pace for longer. form felt good. nice confidence boost in the pool.

overall 2300m in 44 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How's the hamstring mossy? Any idea what the problem was with it?

e
    joey100 wrote: »
    How's the hamstring mossy? Any idea what the problem was with it?

was a bit tight on the Wednesday intervals still Joey, but not as bad as it was. don't think i pulled anything, just tightened up last weekend and as the sessions kept coming it just didn't get a chance to loosen out.

same problem as always with me, when things going well the rolling and core work gets forgotten. this period last year was full of little niggles that stopped me running for a few days/a week at a time, sometimes a bit longer. been running issue free now for a long time, some very minor twinges, like the hamstring, but nothing i haven;t been able to work through so i won't sweat it too much. run volume well up since last year and going well so these minor things bound to pop up every once in a while

Friday Evening Run
    It milled rain here all day, and i figured i'd get soaked for this. it pretty much stopped by early evening though, so i got out for this. started well, but pace dropped off a bit as i went around. focused on form, trying to change the stride a little.

total, 45 mins, 8.95km, 5:03 pace.

Saturday Bike.
    i think i'm officially turboed out. new baby at home meant i found it easier all winter to hit the turbo for the majority of sessions. and never had an issue doing even the 3 hour sessions on it. however last saturday's turbo was misery, couldn't hack it. and i was totally unmotivated about today's bike. It was nice though, so headed out, and wasn't on the road 10 minutes when i was loving it again. hopefully the weather plays ball for the next while.

when i have gotten out recently, it's been a couple of routes. so today decided to mix it up. up through Portroe, nenagh, borrisokane, left to puckane, back to nenagh and home via the N7. done this before and it's a great training run, very lumpy, up and down, real leg burner.

of course, last time i did it was on the road bike, and i wasn't trying to hold targets. First hour and a half of easy were grand, nice roads, flew by. then into 20 mins @>240W, 10 recovery. First 2 of these were done on absolutely awful roads, like someone dug holes here and there, dragged off bits in other places, and beat other places with a large pick. the bike was bouncing everywhere, body took a real beating. the other effect was that it was near impossible to hit a target a power level. couple the road surface with the rolling hills, and was putting put 300w's for one minute, 100 going downhill the next. couple that with the bouncing on the road and i was just trying to keep the average power over 240.

to put it in context, for the first two, the AP was 239 and 232, with the NP 261 and 249. got back to decent roads for the third, out the N7 and the AP for the third was 245 with NP 249, shows what can happen when you can actually get into a rhythm and hold it.

as a consequence, legs were pretty fried by time i got home. happy though, that was a good hard honest workout.

90.72km in 3:00 hours. 30.1km hr avg.

Home, gear changed, and off out for a quick run. 10 minutes steady done as 4:22 pace, legs protesting loudly. 4 minutes easy then @ 5:01 pace.
    3.09km in 14:01

Sunday long Run
    ah this weather can do one now. bloody wind seems to be there non stop. Saturday night decided i'd leave the run till the afternoon or evening, nice morning with the kids, but late morning was sitting there wayching the weather getting worse, looked like rain was coming, so laced up and out i went. 45 easy, 30 steady, 15 easy was the plan. Normally i don;t like out and back routes, but yesterday i jsut wanted to park the brain and run so picked a nice long road and went out for 45 mins, and turned. 45 out was into the wind, no rain though, but was still cursing the elements. pace was just under the 5:00min/km mark, felt okay but knew legs not the freshest. first 30 mins back were done steady, 4:2x pace overall, bit slower at the start as i had a hill to climb back up. Last 15 had the mandatory slog up the hill to home, so 5:16 pace.
    overall 18.55 in 1:30, 4:53 pace

Monday Swim
    2800m, main as 8*200 with the last 50 of each fast. well that was the plan. knew the brain was asleep this morning, was putting in the efforts as they should have been, but brain was in automatic, so much so that as i started on the 20's i was thinking 150 and 50 fast, and only realised afterwards what i did was 150 with 50 of that as fast, so 50m short on every one. nuts. session then ended up 400m short from what it should have been, and it's onyl as i sat down to write this i realised what i had done.

anyone that swims in a 50m pool will wonder how on earth you can do that. anyone that swims in a shorter pool where the lengths start to add up will have a bit more understanding

anyway, 2400m in 47 mins.

Monday Run
    45 mins at lunch, pace a bit higher than usual, but was chatting away, very windy again and HR seemed high when I checked, so expected this to come in a bit higher than easy range but the average was at the upper end but still in easy range so no damage done there.
    50 Mins overall, 4:43 pace, 158avg HR

Tuesday Bike
    This one caught my eye when I saw the weeks plan. 15 minutes WU and Drills, then 15 * (2:40 @90%, 0:20 >120). Not quite the full hour of power, but almost there. figured this would be a tough session. 90% is 240, 120 is 319. After the warmup and HC/build drills started the 15. Turned out not as bad as expected. Holding just above 240 for the 2:40, and was pushing the 0:20 hard do up at 340/350W. They got a little more difficult as I went on, but was still holding the levels, lapped the garmin after every 3 mins and the AP stayed consistent across them all, even picked up a bit for the last few. All were 25xW average for the 3 mins.

Almost dark when I was done, was putting the wheel back on the bike so I could lock it up, managed to jam the derailleur in between two cogs on the cassette. And there as no shifting it. Ended up having to take the lock nut off the cassette while still jammed, removing the derailleur, and stripping the cogs off the hub to get it off. Put it back together and nothing seems too bent out of shape. I am definitely having one of those weeks though

1:05, 232W AP

Wednesday Swim

Main set as 3* (4 *100 hard, 100P easy)
    The real smalley going through a bad sleeping patch at the moment, so about 4 hours sleep last night. Groggy getting to the pool, and lethargic. Didn’t help with these. First came in on 1:27, then a 1:30, 1:30, 1:33. Lungs bursting by the end of each. Next set came in similar, 1:30, 1:29, 1:31, 1:33. Last one was a real effort. 1:35 , 1:30, 1:33, 1:36. Not sure what happened the first of that set, the last two were just fatigue.

Focus was on keeping form though, which did happen. Can have a tendency to go octopus style when pushing really hard. Need to address that. So while the times are one thing, 12 laps focusing on form while flat out are a real benefit.

Total 2600m.

• Advertisement

been kicking myself i didn't do the extra few reps last night to make it the proper hour of power. ah well

Wednesday Evening Run
    Anyone reading AKw's log will know i have a hectic weekend ahead of me, so my long run was moved to midweek. 5 minutes into this i knew there was no real pace in the legs, they felt tired, so focused on keeping the effort nice and steady and the HR low, aimed for sub 150. pace was over the 5 minute/km mark for most, but the HR stayed in the right zone. Beautiful evening for a run, blue sky's and sunshine, and the warmest run i've had so far this year. Smashing evening for a nice easy run

1:30, 17.3km, 5:11 pace, 148 avg HR

Lord above second page. better get updating

Thursday 14th:
    out for an easy spin. took the road bike, decided to do a short spin up over the local steep hill and back, wanted to be home for a couple of reasons. up and over the hill, not really pushing too hard and managed to do it a couple of minutes faster than i;d done it before flat out, so happy enough there. Descending the far side, small local road, came around a corner, crack across the whole road, hit the bump, bit of a bang but not too bad. or so i though. half a km down the road coming down a fast descent into a turn, start braking, back wheel all over the road, knew it was a flat. took a big effort to keep it up as i bled off the speed. got it stopped, tube out, new one in, CO2 out, screwed in the nozzle and it started shooting out straight away. crap, onto the wheel as fast as i could, got as much in as possible but not enough. had to use my second cannister to get it inflated. in the midst of this i realised i'd forgotten my phone. so had now used up my co2, and no way to call for help if i got another flat. super

back on bike and headed for home. crap, can't get the rear derailleur to change. i've di2 on my road bike. never given an issue before. front moving fine, but with the flat i'd put the rear on the small cog and now it's stuck there. two hills to get up on the way home, one long one i knew i could get up easy enough, but the last hill up home is steep and was going to be tough. got halfway up the first hill when i said i'd try reseat the wheel. took it out, and couldn't get it back in. something not right with the derailleur.

finally got it back in, and moving again. tried to shift, and it's back to normal. not sure what was going on, but it was fine all the way home. Way late now, dinner being cooked at home, really had wanted to be back home after an hour, rolled in at90 minutes to a worried wife and kids gone to bed.

1 hour rolling, 90 minutes total, 30km.

Friday 15th
    Early morning swim 2500m with 5*300 main steady. 300's came in on 5:10 to 5:17. fairly consistent, and the pace was good for a steady effort

Lunchtime run
    4*8 on, 3 off. tough tough tough. aiming for sub 4, first couple came in okay, but second two slipped a bit. HR was at the right level though, pace just wasn't there. legs were cooked after this

Saturday: easy run, somewhere in Leitrim while i thought i had a couple of hour window while Sean and his good wife paddled across the lake, had just arrived back to the van though when i saw them pass. 8.6km in 43 mins in the middle of nowwhere.

After driving through the night as cover vehicle while they cycled, then driving back to sligo from the east coast, and then down home, sunday was a write off. nothing done

monday was spent travelling to Nuremburg with work. hoped to get a run in when i got there, but met the rest of the work crew as i arrived in and got dragged out for dinner. long time since i did 2 days with no sessions. didn;t like it

Tuesday
    after spending the whole day at a show on my feet, legs and feet sore and achy, i headed out for a long run once i got back to the hotel. bit lost at first looking for what looked like a big park on the map, finally found it, and managed to run 8km from one end of it to the other, it's huge. 8km back then, and got a bit lost looking for the hotel, but finally found it.

17.6 in 1:28, done as 20 easy, 10 steady, 20 easy, 10 steady, 15 easy, then a few fartlek sections.

Wednesday:Same park, easy 45 mins. 8.5km. same park, great place to run in fairness. Legs were tired after the long run the day before

Thursday: Flying home that night, short window in the morning, so 6km run in just over 30 mins on the treadmill in the hotl. god it was warm

Didn't get home until 1am friday morning, got about 4 hours broken sleep, and that was it. didn't get to the pool that morning, decided I'd go at lunch expecting it to be quiet. forgot the schools were off for the referendum. pool was packed. managed to get the lane though, and got my session done. main as 10*50 fist/pb, 10*100 pb faster than RP. the 100's ranged from 1:32 to 1:35, but were a hard effort, thought these might be a bit faster but i think the lack of sleep caught up with me. 2200m in 45 mins

evening run: plan was for 4* 1km sub 4, 1km easy. for some reason this run was inverted. the easy pace felt awful, no energy, lethargic, no form, just wanted to go home. the fast sessions then i expected to be awful, but they were pretty okay. were meant to be 3:59 pace, they came in as 3:51, 3:54, 3:58, 3:47. the third was mostly uphill and finished up a hill, and i had to push very hard to keep it under the 3:59, HR got up to 187. last one in fairness was mainly minor downhill.

happy enough with those given how off i felt.
    total 10.92 in 50 mins, 4:38 pace

Saturday Bike
    3 hours, nothing really to report, all kept very easy, hr only in the 120's which is low for me, 165w avg hr, 83.72km. took the tri bike to make sure all in order for lough cutra tomorrow, but had company so spent most of the ride out of aero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Race face tomorrow mossy, might see you there.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Race face tomorrow mossy, might see you there.

to be honest kurt, i can't imagine a worse run in. training wise, sleep wise, and most importantly diet wise. not sandbagging, but tomorrow will bring what it brings and i'm looking at other races more than this one

Good luck tomorrow! Both of you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

to be honest kurt, i can't imagine a worse run in. training wise, sleep wise, and most importantly diet wise. not sandbagging, but tomorrow will bring what it brings and i'm looking at other races more than this one

Ah sure I know what you mean. Busted achilles, cut toe, limited training, meself. It's a wonder we can walk at all :)

Tomorrow will be what will be, but you can say the same about every day too. Don't laugh too hard when you pass me on the run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Ah sure I know what you mean. Busted achilles, cut toe, limited training, meself. It's a wonder we can walk at all :)

Tomorrow will be what will be, but you can say the same about every day too. Don't laugh too hard when you pass me on the run ;)

The problem is that at my (our?) age when things break they don't fix again.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    The problem is that at my (our?) age when things break they don't fix again.

Nah. I'm living proof to the contrary. ;)

Advertisement