Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done Mossy, great race and report.

Savage biking.

Fella in the swim sounds like a right dick, but be happy in the knowledge that a pr1ck like him will probably quit the sport soon enough and be someone elses problem. May his next sh1te be a hedhehog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

mossym wrote: »
    for all the slagging last year, that's the best duel we've had:) definitely helped keep the pace up back in the ballina road from birdhill.

for a lad with no swimming and not a lot of running you'd a hell of a race yourself. if you could get the running in you;d be flying

looks like you will be buying the coffee this year :)

congrats savage race, really nice to see all the training paying off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

official vid of the race got released.

the slice makes an entry at 2:54 in, my entry into T2. it then clearly shows Trig arriving in after me. in my eyes this supersedes any official results or timing that may show him scoot into t2 just before me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Great report and great race.

When I met you for lunch on Friday and I was wolfing down my foot long and you had your 6-inch two things went through my mind:
    1) HAHA mines longer than yours
    2) The lad has his head in the right place.

Fantastic to see the hard work, consistency and dedication paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

official vid of the race got released.

the slice makes an entry at 2:54 in, my entry into T2. it then clearly shows Trig arriving in after me. in my eyes this supersedes any official results or timing that may show him scoot into t2 just before me.

:)

Ha Ha, definitely out of time as it looks like you arrived in before me and after me, unless there was 2 of you (look very closely at time 2.55 and 2.56 and you will see a guy with a disc wheel coming in just behind me :p)

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    Ha Ha, definitely out of time as it looks like you arrived in before me and after me, unless there was 2 of you (look very closely at time 2.55 and 2.56 and you will see a guy with a disc wheel coming in just behind me :p)

that's not a cannondale though, it's a ridley from what i can see. plus it's a tippwheelers tri suit. so the only video shows me in ahead of you:)

must thank the videographer. (his parents live across the road from me:) )

tunney wrote: »
    Great report and great race.

When I met you for lunch on Friday and I was wolfing down my foot long and you had your 6-inch two things went through my mind:
    1) HAHA mines longer than yours
    2) The lad has his head in the right place.

Fantastic to see the hard work, consistency and dedication paying off.

two things went through my mind as well.

1) my 6 inch is all gone.
    2) i should have gotten a foot long..

could have put a lot more effort in and gotten nowhere, lot of it down to the plan, lot of credit due in your direction as well.

In germany again this week with work so need to get caught up again.

Sunday: easy cycle, went out with a mate, up to moneygall and back. Beautiful sunny day, did wonders for the cyclist tan. 84km @ 27km/hr, 3 hours total

Monday: Off. calf started acting up, tight ball in left calf.stretching helped a bit

Tuesday. Up early to get bike in before i headed for munich. done on turbo, 5*5race pace with 1 recovery. all good, glad to get this in before leaving. ball still in calf.

Wednesday: easy run along the river in Munich.done pre work as i knew after work was taking customers out and was going to be a lot of wine and beer. sometimes i can avoid the drink, tonight wasn't one of them. smoozing needed, so run done early, 6.5km in 35 mins

Thursday:Home, easy spin, 90 minutes,47km.

Friday: Morning Swim: 4*300 as main, in on 4:54 to 5:05. fast 50's to finish. didn't have time for the warm down, took ages to cool down post swim

Lunchtime run: screw new car smell, new runners feel is the best. 40mins wuth 5*2 mod hard, all sub 4.new brooks pure flow passed with flying colours, thanks akw. hr a bit high but still sweating the german beer out of my body. 9.15km @ 4:33 pace

hello everyone:o

hello everyone:o

and that was my 5 year olds first ever message on the internet!! typed herself:)

• Advertisement

balls. only after spotting kurts log which made me check my plan, 300's today should have been with pull bouy, i did without. ah well. tougher than it was meant to be. no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Good typing! Remember to use lots of emoticons, the more the better:D:D:D:):rolleyes::o:mad::eek::P;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

no harm

Never works like that! The man with the plan likes the plan to be the plan! (I messed up tonights plan too;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sean showed me a pic of the bike. I hope you are ok?!

Sean showed me a pic of the bike. I hope you are ok?!

Cheers Mike. Be a while till I get a full report up, but I've a few stitches in left forearm, bad roadrash on hup and not much skin on parts of hands and knee.

But apart from that I'm okay. Got an easy run in today so that's a good sign. the bike is going to take a bit of repairing but nothing terminal

Glad your ok Mossy,

BennyMul wrote: »
    Glad your ok Mossy,

Cheers bren. Was all I could think of to avoid a coffee bill :)

Main focus now is trying to be ready to race again in 3 weeks. Real shame was it happened at the best race going, didn't get to finish

well to be honest I was going to leave it a while before I mentioned the coffee,,

It was a shame, but your form wont disappear, get the body sorted and you will be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

S**t Mossy, so sorry to hear that, gutted for you but delighted you're ok but ouch roadrash. You'll be back in no time but make sure to give yourself time to heal, use the time to work on your tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Glad to hear your ok. Saw the pics and the bike makes it look very bad. Speedy recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hope your alright Mossy. You haven't had much luck this year at all. Take it easy coming back into training, I came off the bike last year and probably rushed back, didn't realise the effect it would have on me. The training was grand but the recovery was much slower, and to be honest not sure I gained much from it. Make sure you heal properly before you get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Descending last night, speed creeping up over 60kph, thought "I'm hungry maybe I will do a Mossey and have a gel about now"...........

In my defense I was off the hill before I went for the gel.

It's not much of a defense for pure stupidity though

right, big catchup to do. going to have to make most of the days quick notes or i'll never get through it

Sat 2t:Bike: Hour easy, then 2*15 kilkee efforts/15 easy. intervals aimed @ 250w, garmin 500 dead so didn;t have usual display and 0ended up low. lumpy course though, power all over hte place for the 15s. felt really good though, having to hold back

Sun 21: Run. 50 mins easy,with pickups. done late in the evening after wife got back from a weekend away. Felt good, 10.2km, 4:54 pace.

Mon 22 Swim: 2500m , main as 5* 300. felt good, struggling with swim a bit lately, this felt better. Lunchtime run, 35 very easy minutes. 7.4km, 4:48 pace.152 avg hr

Tuesday 23. 90 minute bike, very very easy, 26.6km/hr, avg hronly 122bpm/

Wednesday: 1600m swim with faster than race pace 100m efforts(came in as 1:30 to 1:31). happy with that. Lunctime run with racepace efforts, felt good, and evening bike, with 6*2 mins over ilke wattage. all felt good, was starting to feel good about Kilkee

Thursday: Off

Friday: Similar to Wednesday but everything a bit shorter. Did all 3 in the early morning, family packed up and headed for Kilkee just after lunch. Had a house booked for the week down there, just off the beach. two kids, one only 6 months, plus all the race gear, plus gear for a weeks training, and the car was wedged. luckily the parents were coming with us so we loaded their car as well.

Registered early, home, out for dinner. indulged myself with a single glass of wine. was feeling good. positive about the race. not a target race for the year, but still, it's Kilkee, you want to put in a big showing.

next post will cover the race

Alarm went at 6.up, breakfast, coffee. pumped wheels, stocked the bike. did my bike warm up. felt good, kilkee was dull but warm. the few pickups i did brought on a sweat. back, dropped the bike, and did a run warm up. back to the house, picked up my bag and headed for transition.

in early as always, racked, everything sorted. met a good few i knew, wandered over to say hi to bennymul and pmaldini, racked with LTC(pure fix). met kurt. was feeling good, nice and relaxed, at total odds with the nervous wreck i was last year for this race

race brief and off went the earlier waves. lined up for my start, went right side again, worked well last year. klaxon went, and running start into the water.

one of the big goals for this race was a solid swim. despite the pool going well this year, the races haven't been the best swim wise. so real focus on a strong smooth stroke, good sighting, and making sure it was a steady effort all the way around. Seemed to take a while to hit first buoy, once around it i sighted on the farthest over, but realised i was a bit wider out than the pack. moved back in closer in search of a draft. had started passing earlier waves even before the first buoy, and now was going through them fairly regularly.

made the turn for the beach, was starting to tire a bit, but kept the effort up. probably stood a little bit early at the end, should have swam a bit further in, but a glance at the watch showed 27mins. last year was a 23, but in fairness that was a good bit short, the tide was out a mile.

don't have positions given the dnf(didn't ruin the ending there did i? ), but would have been somewhere around 273rd overall. that's down quite a bit from last year where i was in the top 200.

transistion went well, got caught up in some slow moving traffic coming out as the slower people from the wave ahead strolled out with their bikes. 1:23 t1.

The bike.

from the start, this was good. took me a few seconds to get the feet in, really need to practise that more. however, once in, started driving hard. lots of the wave ahead in front of me, so was overtaking loads. lots of them struggling to get up the hill out of kilkee, so was out on the line passing loads. clearedthe hill, took a gel, and settled into the bars. was moving really well. the first 20km or so i didn't see anything lower than 40km/hr on my computer very often. good tail wind, and a determination that i was going to kill the bike drove me past loads, and no-one passed me .

once we made the first right turn the tail wind disappeared, and everyones speeds came down. it was hurting others more than it hurted me though. then, coming to an uphill, i went to drop from the big ring to the small and the chain dropped off on the inside. damn. spun, frantically trying to get it to catch, but no good. pulled into the side, off, and got it back on. was pissed to see 10 or 15 i had passed come past me again. back on the bike and within a couple of minutes has passed them all again. as we came to creegh one guy went past me. tt bike, aero helmet, okay but even a speed suit. wow. so let him passed, then said i would hold the gap to him. was probably 20 or 30 m back from him, but he wasn't pulling away.

was still passing loads, and by now we were back to the hills outside kilkee. up them nice and strong, over the top, and the quick descent.

two things i remembered from last year. 1) the descent back into town was an awful surface. 2nd, i forgot to take a second gel.

so the whole way down the hill i was being cautious, was off the bars, hands on the brakes but tucked, making sure nothing went wrong. hit the flat at the bottom, breathed a sigh of relief. first point addresses. then i immedialely tried to fix the second. grabbed the gel from where it was taped to the top tube. just as it came off, the sh&t hit the fan. i hadn't spotted a really rough patch. hit it doing 42km/hr. with one hand on the base bar. the bike kicked right and forward, and down i went. i had enough time to think f*&k this is going to hurt, and then i hit

the left hand side of the base bar took the worst of the impact and sheared off. next most serious was my left forearm, which got pretty deeply cut. hip got fairly well sliced up, as did my left knee. both palms were stripped of a fair bit of skin as well.

the marshall that was there did his best to get me right back on the bike, but i was fairly well shaken. first thought was could i run. the knee was sore but i knew wasn't serious, the hip looked worse but still manageable.

the forearm though was deep, and flowing blood. that one worried me. i knew either way i had to get back to t2. went to get on teh bike, put my hands on the base bar only to find it was in bits. had to hold the pads on one side to get going. cycled slowly back in, almost laughing as i saw the spectators faces turn from smiling and cheering to shock and pity as this blood covered wreck came past. the wind was blowing the blood freely off my arm, and it was as i watched this that the realisation that trying to run up dunlicky with that wound was daft. the rest i would have suffered through, but this looked too deep.

passed my father just before the line, took him a second to figure out why i wasn't going faster.

in fairness to LTC, they took care of me really well, bike was racked for me, they got the ambulance crew over straight away. After a checkup and clean in the ambulance it was decided the cut on my forearm was as bad as i thought, i was told to get myself to ennis for stitches. collected my gear, quick stop at home and into ennis where i got 5 (i think) stitches, antibiotics, and some pretty strong painkillers which i ended up not taking. plus wrapped up like a mummy

and that was Kilkee 2015. my first tri DNF.

Some random thoughts -
    1) the bike split was going to be a good one. it would have been somewhere around 1:12 to 1:13. it was 1:15 with the crash included, and the minute or two spent getting my breath back afterwards, plus the slow cycle back in. that would have been good enough for top 10 in my AG, and top 50 overall i think. and that's not considering the dropped chain.means nothing now of course, but it validates the bike work in a big way.

2) could i have run? maybe. should i have run? maybe. part of me thinks i should have HTFU'd and run. will never know if it would have been okay

3) was well on track to take a few minutes off last years time. on a much tougher day, that's positive.

4) cheers to BTH for the post incident help, and for sticking around and ringing the missus for me. much appreciated Eug, owe you one.

will cover the aftermath tomorrow, that's enough for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

4) cheers to BTH for the post incident help, and for sticking around and ringing the missus for me. much appreciated Eug, owe you one.

No problem, worked out well for me as well, I now have your wifes number ;):D;);) :pac:

I'll let her know that BTH, she might be reminding you that you said it some time next summer. :)

for those not on twitter, this was the aftermath of the crash. the bandaged up parts were the worst.

Rmt_ugrb1pxXXcH_DlmAEsmvvdwPzU6o81RDxxUHGGs=w362-h643-no

uUhxX-GO0lE60d6iw31xN3WgV-J4toF5enaYsW5aQls=w483-h643-no

Wasn't as sore as i thought i'd be on Sat night/sunday. Monday was back in hospital, got the green light to run. no swimming obviously. So monday evening i went for an easy run. up past the pollock holes, along the cliff, onto dunlicky road.Felt good. right up until all the dressings started falling off with the sweat and all the wounds were exposed for the last 2km.

7.5km in 38 mins, 5:02 pace

Tuesday. Ran from the holiday home around the beach, to transition, then did the 10km of the HotW course. felt like i had to do it as penance for missing it saturday. funny how that run never seems as bad when you're not racing on it. kept it nice and easy. bandages were a better type this time and stayed on for the most part. knee i banged got a little stiff by the end but didn't seem too serious

11.9km in 59 minutes, 4:59 pace

Gave the body a rest on wednesday, wanted to give it time to recover

Thursday i did the same run again, up dunlicky. bit faster this time, average pace @ 4:40. 11.4km in 53mins. jsut over my easy zone. felt really good effort wise, but as i turned at the top the same knee started acting up, and was sore by the time i finished. got stiff and sore that night, and was painful friday. so no running for the last few days.

nothing then friday or saturday. Sunday i was going stir crazy. watching IM Frankfurt didn't help. knee felt fine, so jumped on the turbo for 2 hours. kept it easy for the main part, around the 180 mark, but did 3 10 minute intervals @ 250w. Knee felt fine

Monday: another easy turbo. hour at 183w average power. few months back 150 was my easy spinning zone, now 180 is the same effort. again, knee felt fine

Stitches are out, but the wounds are far from healed. Back to the hospital in the morning, hopefully for the last time. Have a race in 10 days, hoping to get the green light to do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just catching up... YOU are one of the loonies I mentioned on my log. Bleeding to death but still want to run!!

Tuesday: you'd swear i hadn't run in 6 months. it had been 5 days, but it felt like an eternity. Coach green lighted a 15 minute tester. Warned not to extend the time under any circumstances. fecker knows me too well at this stage.

route choices are easy for a 15 minute run. out the front door, around the house a few times and home. was never more than a few hundred metres from the house. Knee played ball, felt fine, something in my head though is wary of saying it's fixed yet, maybe just didn't feel as strong as it usually does.

Still though, home, no pain, mission accomplished. even stopped running at 15:00 mins and walked the last hundred metres home. no extension to be seen here.

3:00km @ 4:55 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch, fair play Mossy for even considering doing that run with those injuries but you made the right call, nobody would enjoy peeling you off the ground when you ran out of blood up around Dunlicky :)

Advertisement