Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

mossym wrote: »
    no problem, my chocolate covered fruit bars are very popular even if i can't manage anything from the class:)

run at lunchtime, 6km in 30 mins, HR broken again, unless my HR really did hit 284

looking forward to those:)

and if your HR hit 284 you are posting from beyond the grave!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Friday Morning Swim
    Back in my local pool. 17m. Not so good for distance, but you get a lane to yourself to fast can be fast. Anyway, this wasn't a fast session, it did feel really long simply because i'm used to the 50m so all the turning made it feel longer. A steady 2000m though

After that, it was off to westport with the cycling crew. got there early afternoon, picked up some directions from a member of the local club(forgot to catch his name, but cheers mate!!). and headed out. plan was for an ~80km loop, out to louisburgh, down past delphi, killary harbor, and back into town. We completely missed the left turn at louisburgh though, so this turned into a 36km out and then a swing back on the same road. was still a nice cycle, had the ocean in view the whole way.had a couple of guys struggling with lack of miles this year, so ended up on the front for most of the run back home, but the pace was only steady so was well in the comfort zone

http://www.strava.com/activities/127458104, 72.4 in 2:44

Saturday Cycle.
    The plan all along was to do~120km on saturday morning. However circumstances meant we didn't get out the door onto the road until 9.30. i'd given up my Heineken Cup ticket for the munster match to go cycling, but there was no way i was missing the match completely. the group was heading for clifden and back, but a quick look at the map and i realised i could split off about 35km in, and do the reverse of the route we were meant to do the day before, and come in on 80, and be back for the match.

Was a fairly uneventful run out to leenane, which was my turning point.got there, yelled at the other 5 i was swinging, and two more decided to come with me(the two that had been struggling a bit the day before). was sorry not to be doing the longer distance, but wow did the route make up for it. without doubt the most stunning cycle i've ever done in Ireland.the road winds up along the killary fjord, and it's stunning. the pace was pretty easy, we were enjoying the ride. after a while it became a little less scenic, and a lot more lumpy, so the pace went up, but still only a nice steady effort. from louisburgh back in we'd seen it the day before, so we jsut spun back in steady. back in plenty of the time for the match

http://www.strava.com/activities/127458085 78km, 3:06

some shots from saturday

20140405_110344_zpsohhsd4cy.jpg

20140405_110243_zps2qcq6qjg.jpg

20140405_110337_zpseuyp6ju0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

hey Mossy, did you check you p.m's .... are you up for cycle at 6 tmrw from birdhill roundabout, meeting up with shotgunmcos and solobally8

Monday Run
    Easy run at lunchtime. 40 mins with some builds. Hamstring had been tight on Sunday, and was still a bit tight and sore on monday, so this was done very handily, and the builds were done but with a lot of care. had run the same route almost constantly over the last few weeks, so went back to a different one today and enjoyed the change.
    8.2km in 41 mins.

Evening Swim
    This was a new one for me, i've been working off 2 swims a week due to time limitations, but have come to realise swim would benefit a lot from the extra swim. Spoke to coach and full agreement there, so 3 sessions a week from now on it will be.

after a warm up, main part of set was alternating fist and swim, both with buoy. the swim portions were the best i have felt in the water in ages, stroke seemed smooth, strong and got into a really nice rhythm. not nearly as good without the buoy, but at least something is getting better.
    2000m in 43min

• Advertisement

Tuesday - Bike Threshold Session
    the short and sweet one, or the suffer/sweat fest, which ever way you look at it. Thought i'd get out on the road for this one, but some stuff going on at home left me time pressed so i was back on the turbo. Started easy, then 4*1 min high cadence, 4*30 sec builds, then 4*5 mins at threshold +5bpm

my cadence is gone up a lot recently, so the HC stuff early on was fine, as were the builds. Settled in then for the >threshold efforts. built slowly into each one, keeping the cadence high. Happy with the effort over the 4, hit the numbers asked for on each one, so no issues there

50 mins, roughly 25k or so.

Wednesday Morning Swim

2300m as a mix of FC, PB work, fists, and kicking. not as solid as monday, but still feeling better in the water. the legs are definitely starting to do something rather than just float along for the ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

mossym wrote: »
    Tuesday - Bike Threshold Session
    the short and sweet one, or the suffer/sweat fest, which ever way you look at it. Thought i'd get out on the road for this one, but some stuff going on at home left me time pressed so i was back on the turbo. Started easy, then 4*1 min high cadence, 4*30 sec builds, then 4*5 mins at threshold +5bpm

my cadence is gone up a lot recently, so the HC stuff early on was fine, as were the builds. Settled in then for the >threshold efforts. built slowly into each one, keeping the cadence high. Happy with the effort over the 4, hit the numbers asked for on each one, so no issues there

50 mins, roughly 25k or so.

Wednesday Morning Swim

2300m as a mix of FC, PB work, fists, and kicking. not as solid as monday, but still feeling better in the water. the legs are definitely starting to do something rather than just float along for the ride

Hey Mossy. There is a tt session on tonight run by nenagh tri club. Meeting at nenagh swimming club at 6.15. I will be going if your interested.!

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hey Mossy. There is a tt session on tonight run by nenagh tri club. Meeting at nenagh swimming club at 6.15. I will be going if your interested.!

thanks for letting me know trig, but i'm on little one collection duty this evening and have to work for a while once i get home, so not going to make it i'm afraid.

Wednesday Run
    Bit of a change up on this one. rather than paces, plan called for 5*3 mins at threshold+10bpm. some thing different. Was some easy work and some builds first, then down to business. Got the pacing pretty right, built to the desired level each time without having to modify pace much at all. First 3 went relatively easy, last two got harder. pacing was good, just over the 4:00 mark on average for the fast bits. set a pb over 5km, and fastest ever time over my regular lunchtime run(have a private segment set up over it just so i can track all my efforts on that stretch, handy tool to chart progress), so happy with that. Coach may have been sending a message that when he asked for fast he wanted a bit more :)
    8.7km, 39:50
    http://www.strava.com/activities/128482167

Thursday Lunchtime run
    30 minutes in the plan, but went on a different circuit that i knew was going to have me in a bit over that, but kept everything handy and just plodded around. legs felt tired from efforts day before
    7.8km, 41:10, http://www.strava.com/activities/129093863

Thursday Evening Bike
    Fully intended on getting outside for this, but some stuff at home meant it was done on the turbo, just an easy hour on the turbo .
    1hr. ~25km

Friday Morning Swim

so 100m tt 2 weeks ago came in on 1:46. So there was a raised eyebrow at 8*100 coming in on 1:45 off 3 minutes. But, i'm game for a challenge :) so after confirming with coach it wasn't a typo it was the aim. Not sure what happened but driving home from work Thursday i managed to develop a strange upper arm pain which kicked in every time i moved my left arm. by friday morning it has improved a good bit, think it was a trapped nerve or something, but it was going to make this all the bit harder

intended on getting to the 50m pool for this, but family events of the week caught up again and the local 17m was all i could manage. SO the times were going to be off, but i intended on 8 all out efforts, going out hard on the first and trying to hold that for the rest as much as possible. got to the pool, realised i had forgotten my garmin. perfect, now no record of the times. ah well, have to work off the pool clock, which at this pool is just a normal analog clock, but at least has a big bright second hand.

Warm up and some fast 50's done. kicked off. first one went too hard as always on the first couple of lengths, slowed over the next, but in on 1:32 . okay, marker set. the next 5 all came in on roughly the same, 1:32/1:33. Last two slowed a bit to 1:34/1:35, but still, happy enough with that, considering clipped arm and all. Actually the swim helped the arm loosen up a lot, but it is a bit sore now again, will watch it.

2000m in just under 50:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

So that was you yesterday,

• Advertisement

Twas indeed. Would have turned and run with you if I knew that was you. Will keep an eye out in future.

My plan had a long bike and short run for saturday, with a long run on Sunday. Family funeral on friday night/saturday meant the bike was going to be tough, so the days were swapped. Although the timing worked better now, it was still a struggle to get them in. Pints of guinness Friday night meant running before the mass didn't happen, but i managed to get away for a while saturday evening to get the run done. a tough few days began to tell though, plus a belly full of the black stuff from the night before.

one of the things i've tried to be better about this year is accepting that not every workout is going to feel good, and some are going to feel absolutely awful. not talking about hard, those ones are different, but sometimes even easy pace feels terrible, and you just have to accept it. this was one of those, and then some. i knew it wasn't going to be great before i went out, but it was worse than i thought. felt like a real struggle all the way around. 80 minutes of pure slog, a run from hell. still though, it got done which is the important thing i guess.
    15.1km, 80 mins, 5:21min/km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/129523348

two things pissed me off on that run, semi related .the idiot that ran towards me on a L road, meaning he was running in the same direction as traffic, with earphones in, totally oblivious to traffic, and the growing number of drivers on narrow roads who seem to be getting off on buzzing runners getting as close as they can. both sides need to learn a bit of common sense.

Sunday Morning Ride/Run
    So after the hell that was the day before i reckoned today couldn't be much worse. started the same way, i.e. a few pints of the black stuff the night before. so my best laid plans to be gone before 8 didn't work out. Finally got out the door around 10. was heading solo today, so the Tri bike was the weapon of choice. plan was 1 hour easy, hour tempo, 30 mins threshold -5, then 30 easy, with a 15 min run off the bike.

first hour passed easy, deicded to head up the west side of lough derg to avoid the nenagh classic which was going on. hour tempo kicked in, and i was holding some pretty nice speed, but had what i assumed to be a pretty strong tail wind. passed through mountshannon and whitegate, holding mid thirties, and got the 1:25 mark, where i decided to swing as i assumed hte headwind on the way home would slow me down. it was a headwind, but i was holding pace really well into it. got to the thresold -5 portion, harder to hold this given the gusty wind and lumpy road but kept the effort and speed up. legs were starting to get a bit tired by now, but kept the effort steady till the end of the 30 mins, then spun easy home. turns out i got home a lot quicker than i expected,

total time 2:39, 78.6km, 29.6km/hr average
    http://www.strava.com/activities/129795045

off the bike and out on the run, legs like jelly, went off way too hard. 3.2km in a tough 15 mins.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/129795011

bike yesterday was my longest spell down on the bars in an aero position. arms got a bit sore about 30 minutes in, thought it was going to be a long ride, but that passed and i could have stayed in them all day. however, when i got out on the run afterwards, had only gone 100m when i felt a ping in my back. i;ve a bad history of pulling muscles in my back, it's a regular enough occurence. this one didn't feel like a bad one, didn't feel totally gone, and wasn't that sore rest of the day. out for diinner last night and it started feeling a bit worse, and by middle of the night i knew it was totally gone.

well used to this at this stage, couple of days and it will be sorted. Was supposed to swim this evening but that may have to be skipped. Will see how it feels this evening. Shouldn't affect rest of training much, bike tomorrow should be okay and by time i run again on wednesday it should be mostly healed

took a htfu pill, swim done, 2000m of 100sw, 200p, 300sw, 400p, 400sw, 300p, 200sw, 100p. just under 40 minutes. home now for game of thrones.

what a f&^*ing disaster of a week training wise.

Tuesday evening:
    Threshold session on the bike. after a warm up, some high cadence work, some builds, then 4*6 at threshold+5, with 1 minute recovery. Wemt well, found out half way through the FD was off and couldn;t get into the big ring, so needed to keep the cadence high to hit the +5. all done though. Step up from last weeks which was 4*5 with 2 recovery, the extra minute on is fine, the minute less recovery makes it tough though:)

all done, happy with it.
    50 minutes, 22km.

Wednesday Morning Swim
    Mix of swim and pull work. From the minute i jumped in the shoulder which had been niggling me a bit recently started off, and grew worse as the session went on. got to 1600m in, next up were some fast 100's and was scared of doing some real damage, so called it, pulled on the fins, did 100m of kick and got out. race next week so need to be niggle free
    1700m total

the other thing that happened is truly laughable. for those who know UL pool, you;ll know there is an overhang at both ends, it's like a foot high drainage channel in the wall about 3 feet up from the ground. well, on one of the lengths i managed to kick before i was clear of the wall, and smacked my heel/achilles straight up into the overhang. stung for a second, but thought nothing more of it. that is, until after lunch when i got up from my desk and could hardly walk. got steadily worse, until the interval run session i was meant to be doing that evening was a no go too. pretty sure no serious damage done, just an impact injury, but i don't like missed sessions!!

feels significantly better today, but i may give it another days rest and jump back into training tomorrow. Talk about a stupid stupid injury

So another days rest it was, and then the opportunity to get a long bike in today arose. Quick chat with coach and the plan was changed to long bike today, long run tomorrow, and long bike sunday

So headed off today with 4 others to circumnavigate the nicest lake in ireland (@ catweazle and akw)

few mechanicals, had to put a rear wheel on a bike for someone after 3 failed to do it. ah well. someone once said to me if you wanted to check your fitness do the lake, clockwise. well we did it today and i'm happy with my fitness, still strong at the end.

120km in 4:20, 27km/hr average

http://www.strava.com/activities/131593493

Saturday run
    Friday's spin had been the longest in a while, so legs were a little tired on Saturday. 90 minute run was in the plan though, so after a morning with the family, and before another family event, i got the run in. Was a warm afternoon here, even brought the shades with me on the run. Was trying to think up some combo of a loop plus a bit to make up the distance, but once i got going i decided i couldn't be bothered making it complicated, so i just went with an out and back. Started strong, middle was strong, but tired legs were catching me towards the end, Stiil though a lovely day for a run, and glad to get it in

17.05km ,1:30.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131836745

Sunday Spin
    Friday's long spin had been a bonus run, i still had to get the plan set one in. We were heading to the in-laws in clonmel, which is a handy 96km away door to door, perfect for the 3 hour ride called for. So while the family headed off on the car, i rolled out the tri bike and set off. Again a warm day, and not helped by the belly full of lager i had from multiple pints the night before(last of the extended family gone back to their home countries, so no more of that thankfully). anyway, plan was 45 easy, 45 tempo, 20 threshold - 5, 10 easy, 20 threshold -5 and remainder easy.

the 45 easy got me in to limerick, and out the far side onto the tipperary road. wind picked up here, and was fighting the wind quite a bit. settled into the tempo portion, speed came up, and the relatively flat road meant was holding a nice speed.

hit into the first of the t-5 intervals, which brought me into tipp town. by the ned of this, i was starting to feel that it was hte third day of big mileage. was holding what was required, but it was tough. held the easy out through tipp town, picked up for the second interval out through bansha and that brought me into cahir. at this stage i was feeling it, a combination of the heat, the hangover, and the 3 days effort. pretty sure i didn't drink enough or eat enough on the way down, as wasn;t far off the bonk. ate a little bit going out of cahir, which helped, as i picked up the speed again coming into clonmel

my previous record for the trip was done in the opposite direction, from the roundabout at the edge of town to home was 3:11, but i had a serious tail wind all the way home. had a secret goal of a while of dipping under the 3:00 mark. as i came through cahir the signposts said 16km. that was going to put me jsut over the 3 hours, so i wasn't pushing it from cahir to clonmel. However, as i came into view of the clonmel roundabout, from the top of a hill, i realised i was going to go under the 3. passed the roundabout at 2:59. just under, but under .happy with that, given it wasn't my best effort and was struggling, plus had a head wind the whole way.

overall, 95.3km, 3:02 by the time i reached the in-laws, for an average of 31.3km for the spin.

http://www.strava.com/activities/132628348

Straight off the bike onto a run, short 15 mins just to get the legs used to it. better pacing than last week, but still too fast. hamstring was very tight for the first 2km, loosened out a bit by the last one. definitely felt better running than last week.

3.2km in 15 mins, 4:46min/km pace overall

knock on the ankle in the middle of the week meant i missed my fast run session, but got 2 really good long cycles in this week which i'm happy with. only a few km off my highest distance covered in a training week yet. so happy with that

Very different week coming up. First tri of the year on Sunday, Joey Hannon in UL arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done on the bike improvements!

Obviously fitness is of utmost importance but how much do you think the new Tri bike helped you?

Also, for your outdoor bike sessions, are you basing the intervals on HR or do you have a power meter?

pointer28 wrote: »

Obviously fitness is of utmost importance but how much do you think the new Tri bike helped you?

Bike makes a difference for sure. find when i get the slice up to speed it's a lot easier to maintain a high cadence and speed, plus i think i've got a good fit now so i find the aero position relatively comfortable.

that said, it's mainly fitness. much stronger on the bike this year. this time last year i was flying up hills, but couldn't maintain higher speeds on the flat. so very good at short spurts, but not at laying down the effort for lengths of time. that has changed this year, can hold the higher effort for longer. Probably a lot to do with more focused tri sessions rather than just cycling with a group of cyclists. i think the mix i have going right now though is pretty good and helping a lot

case in point, friday, 110km into the spin, we came over portroe hill. I had attacked the climb, and got to the top 3/4 minutes ahead of the rest. the two strongest cyclists traditionally in our group were at the very end, as one of them is an animal on the flat, but cannot climb. so the middle two arrived, and got off their bikes, i knew that was a mistake. as the two strong guys breached the top i knew they'd put the hammer down big time, down the hill and up the small drag that follows it(solobally will know it well), and head for home pretty strong. so as they passed me i clipped in again and head off, but going down the hill they'd already built up a strong lead on me. soon as they levelled off i knew it was get back on or never catch them, so i put the head down and pushed till i got back on the tail. made it back on no problem, when last year i'd have watched them disappear into the distance and not had a hope of catching them. you can see the effort at the 110k to 115k mark in the ride. I redlined the climb first(sorry coach), but the effort to get back on never took me out of tempo range really. that was on the roadbike, so pure fitness.
    pointer28 wrote: »

Also, for your outdoor bike sessions, are you basing the intervals on HR or do you have a power meter?

all hr based. had a pretty detailed vo2 test done, so have my levels dialed in pretty well. all my work is hr based. would like to go to a power meter, engineer in me likes numbers, but not just now

two easy sessions so far this week

Monday Swim: Easy 2km in the pool, some pb/swim work, all easy. 2km in 41 mins

Tuesday Bike: Even though i was off today, family day out meant this was done late tonight on the trainer. just an easy hour spinning the legs.

1:00. ~22km

• Advertisement

Very easy run at lunchtime, 8.2km in 45 mins or so, at a very leisurely 5.30min/km pace. one worrying thing was the HR was high, was between 155/160 for most of this when normally i can hold a good 20/30 second/km faster pace than that for the same heart rate. might just have been the muggy day, but will keep an eye on it

Wednesday evening swim

rest of this week is getting ready for Joey Hannon in UL on sunday. 1600m in the pool with some 100's above race pace. felt a lot better than monday, giving some hope that i will not in fact drown during the swim on sunday.

home to fix some gearing issues on the tri bike.

Thursday evening brick
    first up was a bike with some > race pace efforts. found out immediately i had forgotten to set the upper limit on the front dérailleur, so that shifting up to the big ring resulted in the chain slipping off the outside. ah well, shifter is non indexed so got it set on the front, but it was so temperamental i just decided to stay in the big ring all the way around. meant the climbs were a bit tougher than needed. also discovered i'd messed up the rear dérailleur, not sure what i was doing the night before.

anyway, got the efforts in, felt really good, loads of energy, then back for a 25 minute run with some more > race pace efforts, same story, lots of energy, was trying to get the pace right by feel but was hitting them way too fast, finally got the last one right.

all in all happy with the efforts, unsurprisingly easier to run off the bike after 18km than it was to do it after 90 as i have the last few times. food for thought for kenmare!!!

Back home and bike back up on the workstand, smooth as silk now, will check it again this evening though to make sure

rest day today. short burst of all 3 disciplines tomorrow then race day. i'm in the last wave of the day, meaning bike has to be racked by 8.20am, and my wave not set to start until 11.50 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good luck with the race Mossy, I done it last year and it was a good one. Same story as yourself though, last wave out. Just bring some food and sit back and watch the other swimmers, found the time went pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

joey100 wrote: »
    Good luck with the race Mossy, I done it last year and it was a good one. Same story as yourself though, last wave out. Just bring some food and sit back and watch the other swimmers, found the time went pretty quick.

I would advise against spending too much time watching other swim waves. It's very warm in there and you'll find yourself dehydrated very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend

was thinking of strolling up to delish for a big all bells and whistles breakfast while i wait..:)

good point on the dehydration, will spend most of it around t1/2 i reckon, always worth watching how others handle the changeovers

few warm up sessions today.

1400m swim, mostly easy, some fast 50's.Felt Good

20 minutes on the bike. 10 easy, 5*1 fast/1 easy
    15 running, 5 steady, 5*30 fast/30 easy, 5 easy

All went okay. Let's see what tomorrow brings

The Joey Hannon Tirathlon Race Report

Going to start this with a look back. This was going to be my third olympic(ish) distance tri. The previous two had been Boru tri in killaloe (3:12 or something like that, but a seriously tough course), and the ocean lava quarter, not really an oly, but similar distance (950 swim, 45k bike, 11k run), at 3:07. Both those races i had gone into with a goal of sub 3. that's laughable for some here. but for where my fitness was last year it would have been a good accomplishment. didn't happen though

So fast forward to this morning. a much easier course to be sure, and i reckoned i'd be well under 3 easily. still had a nagging voice in the back of my head saying maybe you can't do it. that voice resurfaced at one point in the race, but i'll get to that.

got a message from coach night before, saying go hard. decided that was the aim of the day

Transition was open from 7.30 to 8.20, at which point no access until after your race. bit of a bummer when your wave start is 11.50, but with a pool tri in april not a lot you can do. Coach wanted a bike warm up done, so i arrived in UL at 7. it's only a 20 min spin for me. Got a warm up done, racked my bike, went to the race briefing(first pool tri, worth hearing the rules!!) and hung around until about 10.30. At that point did a run warmup, left everything bar the trisuit, googles and hat in the car and headed for the pool. Watched the first oly wave(slower one supposedly), and was surprised at how quick some of them looked. Didn't appear to me i would be faster.

The Swim
    So, finally into the water. in my head i was thinking 30 mins would be a good time. so maybe i would be a bit slower than that. as we tried to arrange order, it appeared we were all in the same league, but a couple were faster. they were going to lead, and i decided i'd stay out of trouble at the rear. First mistake. buzzer went, everyone kicked off. really good pace for the first couple of lengths,ifa little slow. then it started to slow a lot. was surprised the marshalls weren't doing a better job of holding people and letting others pass, they would hold forone person, but when they went to front with noone to draft they were as slow. Finallyi got a chance, dug deep, and passed around 4 of them in one length up the middle. had clear water then, so could get up to a decent pace, but long gap to the next set of feet. Dug deep, but wasn't catching them. no-one was getting me either so i settled in and started knocking off the lengths. was doing a count in my head. at the wall one time i glanced at my watch, lap count the same. so i got to the starting wall at what i thought was my last two lengths, supposed to get a tap on the head. nothing. okay, mst have been off by a length, funny the watch matched. Do another up and down, expecting the up and down. nothing. come one, something not right here. and again up and down, and still no tap. Finally at the end of the next one i get the tap. get the last two done and out of the water. Still reckon i did morethan i should have, i think the overtake went unnoticed. anyway

time:29:54. 74th of 195 overall, 16 of 46 in my AG

T1
    Lot of running for t1, but no time wasted. 1:44, 41st overall, 10th in AG

Bike
    Been really happy with my bike lately, so was looking to push this. Popped a gel soon after getting on. As soon as i got on the bike though, spotted my HR was through the roof. as in really high. Recent VO2 put my threshold at 162. Been doing efforts recently at 157. Out on the bike it was 168 to 172 , and that was after dropping from 177 initially. My initial plan was to hold somewhere around the mid 150's on the bike. backed off to get it down, and a couple of people went past.a felt tri bike and some road bike. the guy i had been chasing was also pulling away. stayed like that for a while hoping hr would go down, but it wasn;t happening. it was then that the two previous goal failures entered my mind. All that work at certain levels and now i wasn't able to get to them. i was above them, but this was 2k into an oly and i had a long way to go.

at this point the go hard message popped in my head. thanks coach, that one helped a lot. decided to just hold what felt like the right power and ignore hr somewhat, but backing off if it went really high, mainly on climbs. Soon as i decided that, i started to fly. started picking off people one by one. got to the turnaround point, headed back, seemed to have more of a tailwind on the way back. In the distance could see two guys. was closing on them slowly, and from a distance it looked like ...they were drafting big time.can't say for sure though. anyway, caught them ,and by now there was a gap. turned out to be felt tri bike and road bike guy. great encouragement to blow past them hard.

Had a carb drink in my BTA bottle, and was doing a good job of keeping drinking. kept the effort up all the way back to ul. okayish dismount, and a very long run into t2. for a bike that started badly, it was pretty good by the end
    http://www.strava.com/activities/134765756
    time 1:07:30, 66th overall,19th in my ag

T2: 2:19, long run again and wasted 30to 45 seconds going back for my garmin. 130th overall, 27th in AG. room to improve

The Run
    Wasn't sure what would happen here after pushing the bike well above threshold. it was a two lap affair. went out the gate with one thing in mind. go hard. previous 10k pb was 46 dead. anything under 50 would have me happy. At this stage i knew sub 3 was in the bag, i was now thinking more of not blowing up and a sub 2:40.

the prep runs off the bike had all been too fast. this was the same. after a km i checked my watch 4:23min/km average pace. for those of you who follow the log, you'll know that's fast for me. initial reaction was to back off. go hard. so the pace stayed. was running well, rhythm felt really good. at around the 3k mark i saw one of the guys i know from the local tri club coming back against me from the turnaround point(wasn't at the halfway point). he's a strong competitor, very strong on the bike, decent runner, strong swimmer. the fact that i was this close to him gave me a bit of a boost. Closed out that lap holding the rhythm well.

By this point though the pain had kicked in. legs were starting to scream, and lungs were further along. a guy from limerick tri club passed me around 1km into the second lap, and i decided to stick on his heels. i was quicker than him up the hills, he was quicker down. followed him out to about the 3k mark, and realised i hadn't seen the guy i new yet. got a lot closer to the turnabout point, and finally met him. was catching him quickly. but wasnt sure i could get to him by the end.

turned for home, still holding the pace, really really starting to hurt, and still on the heels of LTC man. around 1.5km to go, i pulled up beside him,and told him i didn't have then energy to get away from him, he replied saying neither did he. but up ahead i could see the guy i knew, and got one final burst of energy. kicked for home, passing ltc guy first, and then finally them both. pushed with everything left for home. aournd 30m from the line, the wife and daughter had taken up station. little one loves finishing races with me, so out she came and we crossed the line together. had held 4:25 mins/km for nearly the whole race, with the exception the kick at the end. that brings in a new 10k pb of 42:54, or over 3 mins off my previous. i'll take a pb at the end of a tri any day of the week.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134770880/overview

time: 42:54. 43rd overall, 12th in my AG

Overall
    2:24:23. 54th overall, 14th in AG

2:24. 2:40 would have had me happy. 2:24, over an easy course admittedly, but still, delighted. my average HR for the bike leg was 163, for the run was over 175. before today would have said that was blow up zone but held it. very happy with the time, the effort, and the result. good advice coach

so that's it 2014 tri season off to a bang. absolutely wiped here on the couch. but a very happy wiped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done mossy, that's a great result. All the hard work paying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A fine days work sir! :)

Advertisement