Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Great race Mossym,

I think I was supposed to be in the same lane as you (9) but managed to pull a few strings and get back to wave 5, had the little lads 4th birthday party and was on a warning from the better half:) didn't have a great race myself 2.35, a good bit slower than last year but I'm happy enough as all my training has been z2 IM based, all the same it's good to get the race buzz going again, you mentioned some drafting above, saw a bit myself and it all seemed to be the pointy end of the field lads which surprised me, must have a look and see who got penalties

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i can't for sure say they were. by the time i got close up there was a gap. so i won't accuse them in the wrong.

i was watching going around on the bike, and in fairness i didn't see any really obvious wheel sucking. some infringements for sure, but close enough to legal to make it tough to say if they were overtaking at the moment i saw them. most races you'll see at least one right on the wheel

oh, and meant to say in the report above, fair play to LTC. those guys always put in a good effort for every race they put on. HotW should be an absolute blast

mossym wrote: »
    i can't for sure say they were. by the time i got close up there was a gap. so i won't accuse them in the wrong.

i was watching going around on the bike, and in fairness i didn't see any really obvious wheel sucking. some infringements for sure, but close enough to legal to make it tough to say if they were overtaking at the moment i saw them. most races you'll see at least one right on the wheel

I'd agree with you there with most of the field but I saw a lad stuck to the back of Dave richardsons wheel on the way out on the drag before the turn off to Murroe, to be stuck on his wheel he had to be a pointy end racer

And +1 on the organization today, it all went very smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastic day for you! Well done!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You're some sandbagger!

I'd be happy with this, happy with that....

You ripped that up. That is a savage race. Well done you! Have you stopped smiling yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Fair play Mossym you did look comfortable at the bike turn, (or some one on a Slice did:P

great result the training is working.

AKW wrote: »
    You're some sandbagger!

I'd be happy with this, happy with that....

You ripped that up. That is a savage race. Well done you! Have you stopped smiling yet? :)

the cheek of it. honestly no element of sandbagging involved, i surprised myself in a big way yesterday. but yeah, delighted with the result

BennyMul wrote: »
    Fair play Mossym you did look comfortable at the bike turn, (or some one on a Slice did:P

great result the training is working.

i did spot one other slice yesterday, but i think it was one of the earlier races. would have been passing the cappamore turnaround at around 1ish i guess. if it was then it was probably me.

really starting to love that bike. was unsure about it first, but now i've got some time on it i'm starting to enjoy riding it an awful lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done M nicely executed. Well paced throughout and it read like you judged the effort and got into the race. Thanks for the report :)

seems like every race i do in ireland there are pictures of me on the run, but never on the bike.

however, sometimes the racing isn't all about the times, or the position. there are some moments that matter irrespective of the finishing time. like this one

Joey_hannon_2014%20%28337%20of%20360%29-X2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like she might take you in a sprint finish!

given what i had left at that point i wouldn't be surprised:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

there is a glint in her eyes, you can tell she's thinking "I can take him just let the hand go old man."

great pic, wheres the sweat, your looking way to fresh to be finishing an oly:D

Pmaldini wrote: »
    great pic, wheres the sweat, your looking way to fresh to be finishing an oly:D

hah. showed that to a friend of mine last night and he said if that's how bad a triathlon makes you look he's sticking to his weekly game of tennis.

hah. showed that to a friend of mine last night and he said if that's how bad a triathlon makes you look he's sticking to his weekly game of tennis.

LOL, if he thinks that's bad I should send him a pic of my dying across the line in Tri an Mhi last year:D

Pmaldini wrote: »
    LOL, if he thinks that's bad I should send him a pic of my dying across the line in Tri an Mhi last year:D

double the distance = double the dying though right?:)

double the distance = double the dying though right?:)

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hey Mossy
    Just got around to reading your race report there- well done- savage race,, looks like I will be playing catch up with you for kilkee!!

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hey Mossy
    Just got around to reading your race report there- well done- savage race,, looks like I will be playing catch up with you for kilkee!!

i know it, you know it, and i know you know it....it's all about Worlds End:)

in work a little early this morning. Lost Sheep entries opened at 8.00. i'm in for my first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

i know it, you know it, and i know you know it....it's all about Worlds End:)

OOOh- sounds like a bit of a showdown is on the cards!! :cool:

Trig1 wrote: »
    OOOh- sounds like a bit of a showdown is on the cards!! :cool:

lol. it kind of already is. Castleconnell is the one tri all the guys i cycle with do(those of them who do triathlons that is). it was a bit of a showdown last year, and is shaping up that way again this year ,

Tuesday Spin
    so after a day off monday, back at it tuesday. easy spin with a couple of others. Very nice to be out on a bright warm sunny evening again. pace was handy, conversation was good. good spin to flush out the legs.
    1:36 44km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/135596716

Wednesday
    Usually swim in the morning, but with Lost Sheep entries opening at 8am i pushed the swim till the evening. got a run in at lunchtime though, an easy 45 mins. legs felt good, easy pace felt just that, easy. ignored HR but checking later it was right where it was meant to be, maybe a tad high at the very end.

45 mins, 8.7km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/135904019

So off to the pool that evening after work. Not usually there at this time, but the single length lane was empty so the bunch of kids around the rest of pool wasn't an issue, or so i thought. set was a warm up and then 5*300 alternating swim/pull buoy. Halfway through the warmup, reached for my pull buoy and it was gone. i knew brought it in with me. looked around the pool and here was a little girl happily floating around with it hugged to her chest. felt guilty as hell asking her for it back, but needs must.

the swim itself was so so, felt tired, and like i was dragging myself through the water, but i;ve had a lot worse. the one advantage of swimming in the evening was i could get a 10 min soak in the jacuzzi afterwards, rather than rushing out to shower and get to work like i normally have to. rest of the family arrived then so had another 40 minutes lsahing around with them, few more lengths swam but most of those with a 4 year old sitting on my back shouting giddyup cowboy. (can i count those in the SBR challenge :) )

2500m in 49 minutes

Thursday Evening Turbo
    4* 6 Min Threshold + 5 intervals with 1 min recovery. Some high cadence and build drills to warm up but the meat was the intervals. After a bit of family time(walk with the family so the bike with stabilisers could be taken out) this was done on the trainer.

First interval was harder than normal. by the last, it was close eyes, drown out everything and just get it done. kept the effort relatively steady, but this was a tough effort tonight. sigh of relief when the last 6 was done.

55 mins. 24km ish

Struggling with the hard sessions this week

2700m in the pool this morning. usual mix of swim, pull buoy and kick to warm up

then into 6*50, 1 to 3 des, 4 to 6 fast. fast was already a struggle. just felt like energy levels weren't where they should be

3*300 pull bouy steady off 6 went okay except for some traffic problems
    6*100 off 2 were a real struggle. was coming in on 1.56, barely getting turned and off again. these hurt. a lot. got them done though.

then alternating fast/easy 50's off 60. no break after the easy, was coming in on 60, fasts were on 50 or so so a bit of a break there

warm down then.

that was tough

2700m in 1 hour or so

Lunchtime Run
    i think someone is trying to kill me:)

Interval run today at lunch. Warm up, some builds, then 5 intervals of 4 minutes at threshold hr +10. Suspected after the effort the swim had been that this would be tough,and it was. Warm up was fine, but you know when the first interval is tough it's going to be along session. In fairness, the first interval was as fast as i have done a km, according to Strava, a 3:49. Felt like i had to push pretty hard to get the HR where it was supposed to be. The gaps between the interval was doing little to get my HR back down either. the next 3 were tough, and by the last it was a serious effort to hold it. Hit the HR targets on each, but the pace fell away to 4:00 min kms for last few, which is fast by my standards. 5 mins warm down then.

Looking back at both those sessions(this and swim) glad to have them over, but also pretty happy that as tough as they were, they got done. This wasn't one of the good days, but will still chalk it up in the plus 1 column. Have some of my healthy avocado based alternative to chocolate mousse in the fridge as a treat for later.
    39:14, 8.7km, average pace 4:31.

http://www.strava.com/activities/136544873/overview

nothing much for the weekend with the exception of 3 hours on the bike tomorrow and the half marathon at the Great Limerick Run on Sunday. Easy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck with the half tomorrow!!!! :)

Advertisement