Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Window Broke

Options
  • 21-11-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Our bathroom window has been broke years, in that it doesn't shut properly. Most of the time it's grand as you can close it, so unless it's windy or extremely cold then we don't bother. But the winter months are coming so I was wondering if there is a way to fix it or something I could buy that could tighten it shut...... the handle is gone and we don't have one.

It is similar to this:

BathroomWindow_All.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you contacted a window fitter to see if it is something that can be repaired? Id be surprised if its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

djimi wrote: »
    Have you contacted a window fitter to see if it is something that can be repaired? Id be surprised if its not.

No, would you have an idea on how expensive it would be?

We wanted to see if there was anything you could buy/do to keep it closed before doing that, as it only closes over and doesn't tighten/lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I had a permanently locked window as the key was lost and enquired about getting it fixed or getting the handle replaced. Window place told me it was too old, you'd never find the right parts and it was best to replace the whole window which I did. It was the only window in the bedroom so for fire safety and just being able to air the place out I replaced the whole thing. Cost a couple of hundred I think.

I had a permanently locked window as the key was lost and enquired about getting it fixed or getting the handle replaced. Window place told me it was too old, you'd never find the right parts and it was best to replace the whole window which I did. It was the only window in the bedroom so for fire safety and just being able to air the place out I replaced the whole thing. Cost a couple of hundred I think.

Cheers, could't afford that high at the moment - will keep looking into other ways. I might still ring around, to see if anyone would give me a general quote. However if anyone has any experiences with this please post, be a self fix or the cost of getting someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Post up if you do find something, my bathroom window handle is on its way out and like you I can't justify the price of replacing the whole thing at the moment!!

• Advertisement

Post up if you do find something, my bathroom window handle is on its way out and like you I can't justify the price of replacing the whole thing at the moment!!

Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/windows-fixtures/fixtures/casement_fasteners/B-and-Q-Casement-Fastener-Antique-Black-Effect-9371079?skuId=9671784

Buy this for €7 and fit it yourself carefully. Will sort you out for now seeing as its only the toilet.

ken wrote: »
    http://www.diy.com/nav/build/windows-fixtures/fixtures/casement_fasteners/B-and-Q-Casement-Fastener-Antique-Black-Effect-9371079?skuId=9671784

Buy this for €7 and fit it yourself carefully. Will sort you out for now seeing as its only the toilet.

Looks good, and do they fit any kind of window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

chops018 wrote: »
    Looks good, and do they fit any kind of window?
    You can make it fit. On B&Q's website theirs more choices. Just put window latches in the search box.

ken wrote: »
    You can make it fit. On B&Q's website theirs more choices. Just put window latches in the search box.

Ok, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Advertisement