Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs go nuts when its cold and windy?

• 21-11-2013 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I just wondered if anyone else suffered from large dogs that go nuts running around and playing when its a cold windy day?

Its bloody freezing with the north wind here atm and the dogs can't get enough of running around outside playing and play fighting. On another cold note on a frosty morning the first thing they do is roll around in the frost?

We notice this every time its cold and windy and it gets to a point where we leave the dogs out (they have loads of space) because they get too excited and start playing in doors, but then two dogs over 50kg can cause havoc just walking around inside.

I can only think that as both dogs have massive thick coats (GSD type and Newfoundland) they only start to get going when the temperature drops and the rest of the time when its warmer its a bit too warm for them. I know the current cold wind won't stop either of them going for a swim in freezing cold water later on their walk today.

Our cats - sensible creatures - are in on the bed asleep, the wind puts them right off any outdoor activity no matter how hot or cold it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

a lot of animals do, horses aswell will be more sprightly in the cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

All my animals go a bit crazy in this weather, and 2 of the cats and the dog have a favourite game - I will kick up a load of leaves into the air and they will go absolutely crazy trying to catch and kill them! It's hilarious :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Its animal instinct to get up and run around more so in the colder months to keep warm,watch for cats and their hunting instinct especially with rats and mice..

This is the time of the year rats will want to get indoors so keep windows and doors shut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Its animal instinct to get up and run around more so in the colder months to keep warm,watch for cats and their hunting instinct especially with rats and mice..

This is the time of the year rats will want to get indoors so keep windows and doors shut!

The cats bring them in anyway :mad:

The cats bring them in anyway :mad:

Cats dont bring in live rats at all - they will however leave dead rats on the doorstep which is supposed to be a token of appreciation.

Since we have had cats there have been no live rats on our property.So the token of appreciation is very much appreciated. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cats dont bring in live rats at all - they will however leave dead rats on the doorstep which is supposed to be a token of appreciation.

Since we have had cats there have been no live rats on our property.So the token of appreciation is very much appreciated. :D

I wouldn't call it a token of appreciation more accurate to say it's them getting rid of the surplus and trying to pass it off as a gift. The equivalent of them rooting around in their pockets and giving you the contents.
    I've had our cats bring in numerous live mice and shrews. And many a morning there would have been a bird flying around. Oh and a rabbit once. Noting since we moved to Clare. Dunno why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

In Ireland they have brought in live rats (young ones), live voles and live mice when in the UK our cats added live (concussed?) moles and live baby rabbits to that list plus on one notable occasion a live green woodpecker (happy ending that one).

I'm not guessing, I've watched the little feckers do it often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yes they do. My cat brings in live ones all the time. Then chases the fecker all over the house. Same with small birds.

I have never heard in all my life of cats deliberately bringing rats into the house,i have mentioned to keep the doors closed and the windows.

We keep our doors closed and windows in winter at all times,and there are two toms outside our house who we feed who do their job very well..

Usually a cat will only bring a rat to the door when it is dead,cats dont think of passing off gifts at all they dont have that mental capacity to cleverly pass off a rat as a gift - it IS a gift.

I have seen toms - wild tom cats actually eat the dead rat after killing it - thats how wild cats survive so count yourself highly thought of if you get a dead uneaten rat as a gift..

Advertisement